Sujato/John Kelly Pali Courses: Resources

Digital Pali Dictionary is great! Using it on a Mac.
Interesting I can get the shortcut key to work in things like Word, but not in Sutta Central. I suppose it’s because it won’t work with online content?
Hardly a deal-breaker … now I feel no compulsion to buy a paper-based dictionary.
thanks

1 Like

It should work everywhere, but it can be a bit flaky. I have it working on SC. Try fiddling with the settings.

Christie, you’re doing great work! I’ll add these to the resources. These are fantastic for people looking for visual aids. Personally I’m more of a word person, but it really depends on personal modes of cognition. I’ll look into using some of these for the classes, if you don’t mind.

2 Likes

Feel free to use them, you are welcome! I’ll add to the sentence patterns as the course progresses, hopefully before each session so that they reflect course progress.

2 Likes

Reposted here on request of @sujato:

A list of Pali roots (about 1700), which conjugation group they belong in, their English meaning, the equivalent Sanskrit root and meaning, plus indexes into the various Pali grammar books they came from.

As you can see, the majority of verbs (just under 65%) belong in conjugation group 1 (bhūvādigaṇa) so if you encounter a word you don’t know, the chances are it’s in this group. The other groups are very small, quite often less than 100 roots per group.

This is the list of roots from various sources, summarised into a spreadsheet:

And these are the various books they came from:

Please enjoy and practice safe conjugation!

2 Likes

I have downloaded the Anki & signed up, but I can’t see the “library”. Could anyone helps pls?

https://suttafriends.org/help/type-pali-letters/
You can download a program(?) that allows you to type pali diacritics.

I also found this thread very helpful:

1 Like
1 Like

Cannot find Pali keyboard solution for Mac :sneezing_face:

Greetings friends,
I tried to use the file + instructions from the following source in order to install/use a Pali keyboard for my Mac:

When I follow the instructions and try to add an “Other” keyboard, the Pali keyboard does not show up in the various list of options. This, in spite of the fact that I have added it to my library.

Is there another option for Macs? Or does someone know what’s going on here?

Thanks,
Beth

The tipitaka.org Pali keyboard is the one I have used and recommended for years.

(Also where I find online suttas. It seems very backwards-compatable with my old laptop. )

1 Like

Dear Rev.Sanghamitta,

Has this been resolved? If not, are you using Mac or a Personal Computer?
Best wishes,

Beth

Thanks, stephen.

I installed it correctly (it would seem); however, I can’t figure out how to make the keyboard render in pali characters, even though I have selected EasyUnicode as the source keyboard.
Thanks for any suggestions! (I assume you have a Mac.)
Beth

Hi Beth,

There should be a keyboard map that came with the download. I press and hold the option button on my Mac and then press the letter with diacritical.
Option n gives n underdot, option m gives m underdot, option less than sign m overdot, etc.
Holding both control and option down and then pressing n gives the eng sign.

I hope this works for you- even I can do this!

1 Like

Hello Beth,

Not sure if this is helpful… but there is this old post that might be of use?

3 Likes

Hi Beth,
I have typing diacriticals without any downloads, and just using shortcut keys after programming my System Preferences.

Here’s a map of what my Text Replacement settings:

For the long letters, my shortcut key is: OPT + SHIFT + “,”
Then type ‘a’ or ‘i’ or ‘u’.
Hit “tab” to accept.

For the retroflex letters, it’s OPT + SHIFT + “.”
Then type ‘d’ or ‘t’ or ‘n’.
Hit “tab” to accept.

I’m probably logging more milliseconds per letter than everybody else who’s downloaded a thing, but I like avoiding adding things to my OS wherever possible. Maybe this will help.

3 Likes

Dear Sis Beth,
Good day!

Thanks for your kindness and offering.
Yes, I have tried out Sis Karuna’s advice this morning, and it works well.

Thank you.

Mettena,
Saṅghamittā Bhikkhunī

2 Likes

The instructions Venerable Acala linked above are for iPad or iPhone.
On a mac do the following…

This is for Mac Ventura 13.5, but it’s similar for older versions

1. Download the EasyUnicode(R) keyboard and unzip the file
  2. In finder go to your ‘Go’ menu and choose ‘Go to Folder…’
  3. enter /Library/Keyboard Layouts and press return
  4. copy the unzipped EasyUnicode(R) file to this folder.
  5. open system setting, in the apple menu
  6. Scroll down to ‘keyboards’ in the sidebar
  7. find Text Input, Input Sources: and click Edit
  8. click the ‘+’
  9. in the search box enter Unicode and choose EasyUnicode(R) and click ‘Add’
  10. from the sidebar choose ‘All input sources’ and make sure ‘show input in menu bar’ is selected

when you want to use your pali keyboard then you can choose it from up next to your clock etc.

The keys are pretty intuitive, just press opt+ the letter you want a diacritic for.
The exceptions are the n’s and nasals
ṇ opt-n
ñ opt-j
ṅ opt-k
ṃ opt-m
ṁ opt-,

4 Likes

Thank you, dear Ven. Prasanna. I didn’t use Mac, but this might be helpful for Sis Beth.

Dear Beth, I’m not sure if you have tried this:

Mettena,
Saṅghamittā Bhikkhunī

1 Like

For Mac keyboard I recommend:

https://keyman.com/mac/

Keyman is developed by the Summer Institute of Linguistics, who are into making the most remote languages accessible (for Bible translators).

I notice there’s now a version for iPhone in the App Store, which I shall investigate shortly.

2 Likes

Here’s a super-helpful app that lets you not only write diacriticals with ease, but actually does all your computing, reliably and fast, without snooping and stealing data, forcing unwanted updates, catching viruses, and charging you money! True story!

Ubuntu is a free operating system that runs on the Linux kernel. Linux is far and away the most successful computing system ever made.

I’ve been using Ubuntu for 15 years. The first thing I do with any new computer is install it. It’s nice to have freedom.

4 Likes