Sutta about Visakha

Hello friends,

Today watching the Dependent Origination series I heard that there’s a sutta where metta towards the 4 directions is recommended to Visakha. Does anyone know which sutta this is referring to?

4 Likes

It might be this one AN3.70 Uposathasutta, though it doesn’t specifically mention metta in the 4 directions, but the Buddha does contrast useful versus not useful uposatha practices for Visakha. (Uposatha of cowherds, Jains and Noble ones)

4 Likes

I figured that as well, perhaps it was just the part of how uposatha shouldn’t be done that was meant in that reference. Anyway, it’s nice that there’s also the 5 recommendations by the Buddha as well for how to clean the mind during days like today. Smilies to washing head, body, clothes, mirror & gold. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This is a great sutta even if it’s not about radiating metta. It contains the recollection of the of the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha, that we chant so often and follows up with the Eight Precepts. :pray:

5 Likes

Greetings, perhaps AN9.18 The Sabbath with Nine Factors

“Mendicants, the observance of the sabbath with its nine factors is very fruitful and beneficial and splendid and bountiful. And how should it be observed?

It’s when a noble disciple reflects: ‘As long as they live, the perfected ones give up killing living creatures, renouncing the rod and the sword. They are scrupulous and kind, and live full of compassion for all living beings. I, too, for this day and night will give up killing living creatures, renouncing the rod and the sword. I’ll be scrupulous and kind, and live full of compassion for all living beings. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’ This is its first factor. …

‘As long as they live, the perfected ones give up high and luxurious beds. They sleep in a low place, either a small bed or a straw mat. I, too, for this day and night will give up high and luxurious beds. I’ll sleep in a low place, either a small bed or a straw mat. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’ This is its eighth factor.

They meditate spreading a heart full of love to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of love to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. This is its ninth factor.

The observance of the sabbath with its nine factors in this way is very fruitful and beneficial and splendid and bountiful.”

btw. I knew this from this amazing book: Bhikkhu Nanananda - Deliverance of Heart

With Metta. :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

And for comparison, how about the following suttas:
AN10.219
AN10.219
AN11.16
AN3.63
AN3.65
AN4.124
AN4.126
AN4.190
AN5.192