Sutta Nipāta translated by Bhikkhu Sujato—English & Pali-English—Free

If you can’t wait for the official ebook versions, you might find this useful:

Many thanks to Ayya @Pasanna for requesting this and for feedback and help on the proof copy.

Please give any feedback on formatting in this thread.

However, report any errors in the main error thread:

21 Likes

This is wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. :pray:

3 Likes

I think “understand” should be “understood” so it will match the case in the next verse.

Snp 4.2
Rid of desire for both ends,
having completely understand contact, free of greed,
doing nothing for which they’d blame themselves,
the wise don’t cling to the seen and the heard.

Having understood perception and crossed the flood,
the sage, not clinging to possessions,
with dart plucked out, living diligently,
does not long for this world or the next.

2 Likes

Thanks, I have fixed this typo. Let us know if you find more!

1 Like

Thanks for the appreciation and feedback.

If anyone finds errors, please report them in this thread:

2 Likes

I tried downloading english only epub. But I got the version with pali and english instead.
Maybe there is error somewhere?

2 Likes

Hmm. I just downloaded the English only version and I only see English.

Can you tell me what device/software you are using to view the epub?

1 Like

I read it on my phone with android, the app I use is media365

2 Likes

Great. I can re-create the issue. It is for sure a problem with the software you are using. It appears that this app ignores the style sheets built into the ebook. I can tell this because there is also no styling on the title of the sutta (the title should be centered and the Pali should be in bold). The only styling the book shows is the in-line styling, which is actually bad practice on my part.

I hate to say this, but you should get a better epub reader. That a reader would ignore the style sheet of a well formed ebook is kind of unacceptable.

On the other hand, bad on me for only hiding the Pali part of the text using css styling. I was being a little lazy. I also figured that perhaps in the future someone using the book would like to reveal the Pali at some point, but really, that’s just me justifying my laziness.

However… If you download the actual Pali-English version the styling isn’t working for that either, so it’s just like what you are seeing now in the English only book. The text all runs together and the Pali text is not in bold as it should be.

The more disturbing thing about this media365 reader is that it appears to not recognize the table of contents? Can you tell me if you are able to get to a table of contents for this book?

I have no idea why the TOC is not recognized and I don’t know what I could do to fix that since the file passes the validator and works on all the other things I’ve tested it on.

I will, though, try and completely remove the Pali from the English only version now that I’ve been caught :flushed:.

I’ll let you know when I get that done. Sorry for the trouble you are having. Thanks for the report!!!

Bhante @sujato, see what great things you have to look forward to with ebook production :rofl:

4 Likes

Eh it is just a free app I randomly download. It also has premium version so maybe they hide all the good stuff there.

No, it does not recognize ToC, but I can click the ToC at the early pages to get to the page.

Usually it works fine with the novel ebook I download. For backup option I have another app, eReader Prestigio. I tried using that and this is the result:

Similar issue, but kinda different.

2 Likes

Indeed, the whole ebook universe is really geared towards novels, and because novels have almost zero formatting, usually it’s a non-issue.

I have worked on the file and “physically” removed the Pali. Now the only remaining problem is that there are no spaces between the verses because, again, that’s done through css.

Please try to download now.

Just guessing, but perhaps both apps use the same rendering code under the hood. You will probably have more consistent results if you use an app powered by Adobe’s rendering agent, or even one by Google. But I understand the reluctance of using those.

We haven’t had a thread about epub readers in a while, so I think I will start one.

Again, thanks for reporting and sorry for the trouble.

EDIT: For anyone coming across this thread in the future and is wondering what is going on, the bilara html output uses a language tag like lang="pli". This is totally valid html. However some readers don’t recognize span:lang(pli) in the css. Again, it’s totally valid css and valid for use in epub files. But free reader apps can choose what they do and don’t want to support.

2 Likes

I’ll plug ReadEra again. It really is much better than everything else on Android. @prajnadeva - Give it a try!

1 Like

Unfortunately, ReadEra has the same problem as the others when it comes to rendering language based css. The fact that so many of these apps don’t do this right makes me think they are all using the same rendering agent.

But I’m going back to fix my (completely validated) epubs so they can render the content correctly.

1 Like

I’ve been looking to Standard Ebooks for implementation details:

Their documentation is to die for!

Has anyone used them on different devices?

2 Likes

Sorry to have not caught this the before, but I believe both should be completely understood. Both are pariññāya.

Rid of desire for both ends,
Ubhosu antesu vineyya chandaṁ,
having completely understand contact, free of greed,
Phassaṁ pariññāya anānugiddho;
doing nothing for which they’d blame themselves,
Yadattagarahī tadakubbamāno,
the wise don’t cling to the seen and the heard.
Na lippatī diṭṭhasutesu dhīro.

Having understood perception and crossed the flood,
Saññaṁ pariññā vitareyya oghaṁ,
the sage, not clinging to possessions,
Pariggahesu muni nopalitto;
with dart plucked out, living diligently,
Abbūḷhasallo caramappamatto,
does not long for this world or the next.
Nāsīsatī lokamimaṁ parañcāti.

Please post corrections to the translation in the corrections thread:

1 Like

Never be sorry for doing something good!

Indeed, I have fixed it, thanks!