Sutta segments sorted by frequency?

@olastor thanks for that. Pretty much what i was after. I didn’t realise the tininess of some of the segments.

I was also under the impression that the segments had been divided in such a way that they were repeated for the purpose of quick translation. Maybe I’m wrong.

My idea was to create anki flash cards, and later a game/app thing, which would aim memorisation and familiarity with Pali of the most frequently occurring words and phrases. I was inspired to do this with audio by a friend who has dyslexia but wishes to understand Pali. Additionally ,I am an auditory learner and have been thinking about Duolino meets pali for some time. The reason I was interested in segments was because it seems this is what SC-voice uses.

My idea was to find the segments I want… maybe they aren’t quite the most frequent, this was a starting point… get their SC-voice files and then have either the whole or a section of that segment played along with it’s English (or whatever language).

I reality, this may be way above my coding skill level, but I’m full of ideas and like to tinker so I thought I’d give it a go. I’ve already identified a few areas where the app would need to differ from duolingo and areas which I really like with regards to how they naturally teach pronunciation, case and gender.

I’d be super keen for collaborators if anyone would like to investigate this further with me. For a bit of background, I come from a graphic design and web design background and have been building custom websites (HTML, CSS, PHP, JS) for about 20 years.

7 Likes