SuttaCentral 2021: bug reports here! šŸ›

I donā€™t know whether to call this a bug or Iā€™m possibly doing something wrong, but Iā€™m noticing that when I reply directly to another person, like so:

rather than replying to the thread itself:

I donā€™t see the indicator that Iā€™m replying to that particular person, which I do see on other peopleā€™s replies:

The reply does show up in my count of ā€œMost Replied Toā€ so Discourse can tell Iā€™m replying to a particular person, itā€™s just not indicated visually. Iā€™m talking about replies where I donā€™t quote or @ the other person, so I worry itā€™s confusing to other people if thatā€™s not visually apparent.

Android 11, latest version of Brave. Thanks!

1 Like

Thatā€™s how it is if you reply to the very last post in that thread. Letā€™s say, so far A, B, and C have posted in a thread, and C has the last post. And now you want to reply to C.

In such a case, obviously, Discourse does not see a need to give a visual indicator and thinks it is clear enough that your reply (letā€™s call it D) is immediately under C.

Try to reply to A or B instead, and you should see the visual indicator.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for clarifying it, I tried to figure it out on my own and that totally hadnā€™t occurred to me! :pray:

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting some data loading errors:

Some of them in the bottom part only:

Some just donā€™t load at all:

I checked the HTML and ran it through a validator but I cannot find anything obvious that causes these errors.

UPDATE: Somewhat later it did work again but I get such data load errors quite often on html texts and am not sure what causes it.

2 Likes

I am getting the same quite often. It seems the site sometimes takes a lot of time to adjust when switching pages. Also note the discrepancies that occur between what the URL line says and what the breadcrumbs say. It seems the breadcrumbs take a much longer time to orientate themselves to find their way to a new page. (I mean, I can relate. I also have no sense of orientation ā€¦)

I know that @HongDa did already try a lot to fix it, but so far he hasnā€™t been lucky.

Perhaps this rather belongs to this thread for technical bugs. @moderators, could you move it?

3 Likes

Tagging @sujato into this message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @HongDa

I would like to bring to your attention an issue I have been encountering when navigating across suttas when with the Portuguese language on.

The issue is encountered when I try to navigate from a sutta to the next and it seems to occur when I jump from a sutta translated by one translator to a sutta translated by another.

For example, letā€™s say I have landed at the page for AN 3.33: Sāriputtasutta, translated by me and others (suttacentral.net).

When I scroll to the bottom and click on ā€œNidanasuttaā€ at the bottom, the next sutta, I get the following error.

Note that at the address bar we now have https://suttacentral.net/an3.34/pt/null

Note that:
. For AN3.33, there is only a translation by me.
. For AN3,34 there is only a translation by Beisert.

:anjal:

2 Likes

Hey @Gabriel_L Thank for you feedback!
Iā€™ll check it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, @Gabriel_L This problem has been fixed!

Need to hard refresh suttacentral to get the latest updates.

Bug report from Ven. Anandajoti: When you do not have your ā€˜mainā€™ references set as ā€˜onā€™ in the views, direct links to segments do not work.

(in this case https://suttacentral.net/mnd16/pli/ms#114.2)

This has been broken for some time, I believe. Itā€™s too bad.

hello, i found some missing voice link in this site, please note. thank you

AN 1.41ā€“50

AN 1.51ā€“60

AN 1.61ā€“70

AN 1.82ā€“97

AN 1.98ā€“139

AN 1.198ā€“208

1 Like

I feel like Iā€™m going back a long way, is it really that long? Anyway, let me address these.

Weā€™re not hijacking default behaviors, itā€™s just doing whatever your OS thinks is best.

Yes, that should be the case, Iā€™ve opened a bug for it.

This is fixed.

Perhaps not, but a nicely spotted bugette nonetheless. And I dig the screenshots!

Iā€™m hoping this bug has cleared since then, please let me know if it has not.

Other bugs of similar sort I will also leave for now.

Yeah, itā€™s a hassle to support this kind of non-standard usage. Itā€™s so brittle. This is discussed in an upcoming prject, if you have ideas please add them there:

Indeed. I am still pondering options. In the long term, yes, this would be the ideal, and I would recommend maintaining links to verse numbers for the Dhammapada.

Vatthus are headings, and all headings take a zeroth number. (When you took the screenshot, the headings werenā€™t displaying properly, this was a separate bug that has since been fixed.)

This is already on the 2-do list: Correct links in Index pages Ā· Issue #1168 Ā· suttacentral/suttacentral Ā· GitHub

Ahh, not sure what to do about this ATM, sorry. But there may be some good news on the Disctionary front, so stay tuned!

Sorry, this is a function of the hyphenation algorithms or lack thereof. Weā€™ll revisit our implementation, meanwhile please upvote adding language alias to CSS:

This seems to be fixed now.

Hmm, Iā€™ll fix it.

As for the title issue, I made a bug report for that yesterday as it happens.

It looks like the errors in the footer are probably the same bug.

More soon!

3 Likes

Huh, I must have messed this up when I changed our verse formatting. Iā€™ve fixed it now.

Oh, there was a missed placeholder in the files, I have fixed this and a few other instances.

Oh, right. Hmm, looks like the prev/next algorithm is broken in these cases. Iā€™ll make a bugfix report.

Weā€™ve addressed these problems and I believe they are fixed. I think it was caused by the way JS was loaded.

It now doesnā€™t show an error, but it takes you to the Pali text. It should show a translation by default. Iā€™ll file a bugfix.

Thereā€™s a reference project in the pipeline, weā€™re getting to it.

Oh thank you. It seems the Voice links are per-sutta, so it gets tripped up when we have a bunch of suttas in the vagga.

Iā€™ll make an issue for it.

1 Like

This is a problem around the history interface I think. There is one problem with Chrome and there is an additional problem with Firefox (Iā€™ve only checked those two browsers on Windows 10).

The back button behaviour is a bit unexpected.

In Chrome - If Iā€™ve scrolled some way down a page such as suttacentral.net/mn and then click to go to (for example) suttacentral.net/mn9/en/sujato. If I then press the back button, it goes to the top of the previous page instead of where I had just come from (a bit down the page).

In Firefox - The same problem appears as in Chrome, but Iā€™m also forced to press the button twice.

1 Like

Dear @stu Thank you for feedback!
This is related to the recent update and I will be looking for ways to fix it.

1 Like

Hey @stu, The issue has been fixed and has been released to the server.

Tip: A hard refresh of your browser is required to get the latest version.

1 Like

I think it is fixed. I did not get this problem for some time any more.

Thank you for your answers!

Therigatha Chapter 4 currently only has one sutta! Using Chrome on Linux or Windows.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because there is only one set of verses there. :disappointed:

3 Likes