SuttaCentral: a new search

For filtering by collection:

Does this only work with dn, mn, sn, and an? Because I tried some of the books of the KN (as well as kn) and couldn’t get any results. For example, in:iti searches got me nothing, despite Iti 54 having “searches” in both title and text.

I’m also curious if there is a way to restrict to just Vinaya. in:vin doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

Sujato. My recollection is, previously, a Pali word search would bring up the specific Pali word with various declensions. For example, a search for ‘dhamma’ may find ‘dhamme’. However, now, what is found in the search is only the exact word typed into the search. ‘Dhammesu’ may be found when searching ‘dhamme’ (because ‘dhamme’ is within ‘dhammesu’) but ‘dhamma’ will not be found.

It seems that the order is required, yes. That’s not deliberate though.

It should work with all these cases. Mark it down on the to-do list!

in:vinaya works. But it should be documented.

This is a hard problem, given the variability of declensions and the lack of native Pali support in search engines. Practically speaking, there are three options:

• teach the DB Pali properly—great if it can be done!
  • fuzzily guess (which we previously did)
  • use exact matches

The latter is better, I think, for folks who know the language. When I’m searching I drop off the unneeded letters and anticipate the forms that will occur. To me that’s better than relying on an unreliable guess by a computer. But definitely something that could be looked into, maybe make it an option.

I believe that what has been done with the Digital Pali Dictionary is to simply create a map of all possible declensions to their roots. Similar with all compound words. This can work because there is a fixed number of declensions/compounds in the corpus.

My $.02 would be that there are probably other tools that are better for searching the Pali and that SC should be optimizing for translation searches. But maybe it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

I put it on the Search bugs to be tested thread. Let me know if there is a better place.

I made a separate issue for documentation improvements, Search documentation improvements

I’m not really clear on when to add something to “search bugs to be tested” and when to create a new issue.

ArangoDB’s Search algorithm uses the Snowball stemmer, so just add a pali.sbl file here (then do a few other things) and then, voila! ArangoDB will natively support Pāḷi! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Should we be able to chain the in: selectors? When I try both in:mn in:dn against the stream and in:mn AND in:dn against the stream I get zero results when there should be around 10.

I think you meant OR… I mean, I guess the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta is kinda in both the mn AND in the dn, but…

(Not that replacing the AND with an OR actually fixes it, mind you :sweat_smile:)

LOL. In my mind I was saying “Look in DN and MN for…”

I wonder if it could be useful to be able to really chain them like in:mn:sn:snp

1 Like

I’m curious about the result count. Is that the number of texts that are found or the number of occurrences of the search term? It appears to be the second, but I’m not sure if that is really the best method.

Here are 25 results but only 4 suttas (clicking load more does nothing)

1 Like

Ah yes, the missing UNIQUE

I’m not able to search. I keep getting the following message.

I am connected to the internet. Using the pwa on an Android. Using chrome gives same result.

Is it the same for others or is it just a me thing? :thinking:

It’s working for me Bhante…

Ugh… So it’s a me thing then. Typical! :crazy_face:
Seems to be getting worse too. Now I have double the necessary number of search, filters and languages!? Searchsearch? But still it doesn’t work :sob:

When that happens, when I copy the link and do it in incognito mode it works.

1 Like

I’ve updated my chrome, deleted the cache and then Force Stop on the app, no luck so uninstalled and reinstalled the app but I’m still getting the same error and still can’t search.

As @bran suggested, I tried opening the link on an incognito tab and … It works.
However it’s a bit cumbersome and if Bran is also having this issue then perhaps others are too.

Any other suggestions or solutions would be welcome.

1 Like

That’s really strange. Obviously it’s not a solution, but if you are just using search to look up suttas by citation, then you may find the CitationHelper helpful.

Have you tried installing Firefox? Again, obviously that’s not a real solution, but it might give another clue.

I use Firefox and it happens to me.

Thanks for your reply, bhante. I’d like to be able to search for all sorts of things!

I’m really at a loss here! Just glad to know Bran is also suffering the same issue. :laughing: Sorry Bran!

1 Like

If this helps, when I compare the network requests, when the browser is on “interface:connectToInternet”, it doesn’t make any request in the first place (api/search/instant) and when I make this request manually in the failing browser, it does respond. Also, it has consistently done this since I first found the website several months ago.

One can also search into Google, “search term site:suttacentral.net”.

1 Like

Perhaps I miss it, but how to search a specific term, for example “dhamma”, which results in the Pali dictionary definition of the term? In the new search I try, it only results in some Pali texts with corresponding term in its title or content.