SuttaCentral Updates

Thanks to the ever-diligent work of Hongda, we’ve pushed a number of changes to the SuttaCentral UI that you may notice.

The most significant is that we now support notes on translated texts. These are currently available as a test case on my translation of the SuttaNipata:

Comments can be added by any translator working on Bilara. My plan is ultimately to have a full set of explanatory notes. It’ll take a while!

There are known display issues with notes, namely that they can overlap. We have a proposal to deal with this.

In addition we have adjusted the sensitivity of the top bar—which is surprisingly tricky. I don’t think it’s quite right yet, and we will be playing further with it. But we’ve also add a third display option for the top bar, so you can now let it stay at the top of the page.

We have introduced Cloudflare analytics, a new service they provide. Some time ago we got rid of Google Analytics as it is both heavy and invasive. Cloudflare seem to have done a great job, the analytics are very lightweight and non-invasive.

There are a few other minor technical and UI changes as well.

SuttaCentral follows calver, and you can always find the full list of sighnificant changes here:

7 Likes

Thank you Bhante, @HongDa, and all who have been a part. I know there must be so many hours that go into both improving and maintaining things.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this was part of it, but pages don’t take forever to load on my old machine with necessarily old browser - it’s back to being zippy fast! Beyond that, with all the improvements continually, I say there’s some mighty good dev happening.

:heart_eyes:
(I had previously set the toolbar to show permanently as a workaround).

1 Like