SuttaCentral Voice v1.0.0 Released šŸ˜

OK.
got it

3 Likes

Right, thanks, now I understand (with the comment you since edited). SuttaCentral Voice will, indeed, be integrated with the main SuttaCentral site (and that will happen soon), nevertheless it is and will remain a separate app and for now you can only access it using the link given in the OP.

4 Likes

Sadhu! to Karl for his incredible work, and sadhu also to all those who have helped with the detailed and very useful feedback.

I will ask Blake and Karl to get the app served over en.voice.suttacentral.net, which henceforth will be its canonical home.

12 Likes

This indeed wonderful work.
I have no words to thank to the effort of all of you meake this project possible.
Obviously special thank to Karl.

Now I can listen to Sutta while I am sleeping.
I am a strong beleiver of subliminal messages.
:grin:

7 Likes

You can learn Pali while sleeping! Try it outā€¦ :rofl:

7 Likes

Actually, downloading multiple suttas hasnā€™t been on my screen so far. I am mainly interested in single suttas. I will certainly try out the new download functions and give feedback. But first of all Iā€™m simply celebrating with you! :heart_eyes: :balloon::balloon::balloon: :heart:

2 Likes

@Blake, it is always complicated to add a DNS subdomain. Every company that hosts domains has their own process for doing this. It all ends up being a CNAME record. To fulfill Bhanteā€™s request, we need a new CNAME record for

en.voice.suttacentral.net

The instructions for adding CNAME records are vendor-specific. For example, here is the documentation for GoDaddy. I do not know which vendor administers suttacentral.net, but I think you might.

In addition to the CNAME record, I would recommend one additional change. Currently the staging SC software refers directly to the IP address 50.18.90.151. Although this is functional, it is fragile. I recommend changing that code to refer to en.voice.suttacentral.net. Clearly, this second change must happen after the first change is done and tested. It can also happen in a later release if you choose since functionality will not be affected. My recommendation is based on the observation that if I make a mistake in releasing SCV, we lose that static IP 50.18.90.151 forever. It is one bad mouse click from death.

Thank you. :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks Karl, we understand about the address, the team is expecting to make this change imminently. Hopefully first thing after the weekend.

4 Likes

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

:anjal::ear: :ear: :ear:

6 Likes

@karl_lew and Karlā€™s team, you have done amazing work, and so quickly. This is a wonderful way to make the Dhamma available. Many sadhus to you. :pray:

7 Likes

Wanting to express appreciation for these gifts. May there be lasting benefit to many beings, leading to happiness, peace, and ultimately liberation.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sadhu! :sunglasses::sparkler::wheel_of_dharma:

5 Likes

-Is it possible to have a Sutta index in the left side? So we can go to particular Nikaya and Chose the Sutta. This is similar to Sutta Central main site. Perhaps when Voice assistance integrated to SC this may be resolved.

• Is it possible to see the text screen bit larger? I have a small meditation group and I link my PC to the TV. They watch TV while listening to the Sutta.
  • Launch Sutta player Indian bell cut off before it ends. Can you fix it. Sorry to pick on a minor matter but it is great to listening to the sound until it ends with a silent. (Samudaya and Nirodha)
  • I canā€™t play DN 2. Can see only the text. It says down load but does not download.
  • Is it possible to download a particular Sutta and play with text window?
3 Likes

For me it plays, just like everything else.

How does this work with the cookie settings? Last night I selected some settings and clicked the ā€œstore in cookiesā€ button, and this morning it wasnā€™t there any more. It played a different bell from the one I had selected, thatā€™s where I noticed it; and when I opened the settings then I saw that the other ones had changed back too.

I donā€™t think this is a bug, but rather that thereā€™s something I missedā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

I just test it now at the moment it is stored.
PS:
I restart the computer and the settings gone back to reset mode!
So it does not work in my compurter either.

2 Likes

I think the answer might be that it doesnā€™t at the moment: I also found the same, but I wanted to wait for others to report the same issue before adding it to the bug list. Thank you!

1 Like

Ok it is working now. I think I had this when I try to plays the Sutta from the search list. Now I go to the sutta and play it.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your feedback @SarathW1, much appreciated!

Iā€™ve thought this myself, too, but at the same time it should be easy to set the text size on your browser. The way I do it is by holding down ctrl and using the scroll wheel on my mouse - this works on FireFox, Chrome and Opera (Iā€™m on linux, but I think it should be the same for Windows. Perhaps a Mac user can say how to do it for Safari if needed).

Alternatively, on Chrome and Opera, you can also set the zoom size by clicking the magnifying glass at the end of the address bar:

I never got round to asking Karl, but I had wondered if heā€™d set the text size as he has in view of a consideration of how (the technology with which) partially sighted users might use the sightā€¦ ?

Actually, itā€™s really valuable to pick up on these minor issues so thanks again.

Iā€™m not 100% sure what you mean here, can you clarify?

2 Likes

The down load speed and play is very slow.
There is a slight delay in playing.
It downloads one line or phrase at a time it is great it can be down load in large chunks and play it to keep the flow.

2 Likes

Hey, can you describe for me exactly what you are doing so I can try to reproduce your experience and get a better understanding of the issue?

1 Like