Suttanipata syllabus

Does anyone know of a syllabus for groups studying the Suttanipata other than the oral teachings with some handouts on Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Bodhimonastery - see:
http://bodhimonastery.org/sutta-nipata.html

Thanks and with much metta, Fred

4 Likes

Hi Fred,

only this audio series comes to my mind, it’s not much but maybe you’ll find it useful:

http://audiodharma.org/series/2/talk/1853/

2 Likes

Thank you Piotr, I did not know of those, but with Andrea Fella’s proximity to Gil Fronsdal and his recent book on the Atthakavagga, this makes sense. With much metta, Fred

Here’s one useful article:

4 Likes

Let us know if you find more. I am extremely interested in the Sutta Nipata. It’s full of mysteries!

O f course there is more “D,” and I have about decided to write a syllabus with quite a number of disparate parts. I hinted at one above with mention of Gil Fronsdal whose The Buddha before Buddhism is his translation and commentary on the Atthakavagga. I think it is quite good. BUT the masterpiece is Ven. Bhikku Bodhi’s new translation with commentary - a syllabus could be just read the Intro, note the Summaries, choose a vagga, then a set of suttas (the paritta of the METTA SUTTA, for example and others), then assign the Commentary (included in the new Wisdom version!). Of course the Commentary needs commentary here and there, so hence Fronsdal’s book and others - books and articles - many thanks for your suggestion on the poetry article!

Much metta,

Fred

2 Likes

Ven. Bhikku Bodhi’s new translation of the Suttanipata:
https://www.wisdompubs.org/book/suttanipata

2 Likes

Another item for the last chapter (vagga) in the Suttanipata - The Parayanavagga;

Alexander Wynn, “Meditation in the Parayanavagga,” Chapter 5 of The Origins of Buddhist Meditation, Routledge, 2007 (and really the whole book) also very old like The Atthakavagga…

1 Like

Friends, just another comment this many days later that at last I have devised a Syllabus - well, at least a reading list - for our Knoxville Sutta Study group from Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi’s new Suttanipata. It seems to be unique among the Wisdom Publication offerings in that it includes the traditional Commentary, which makes a Syllabus out of the volume possible. There are a few others items such as the Bodhimonastery talks that we will use. I’d be glad to post this here, but it is about eleven pages and I am not sure quite how to do this.

Bhante Sujato, would the site want this?

In the Dhamma and with much metta, Fred

3 Likes

@Fred, if you would like to draw someone’s attention to your post, you should tag them like so:
@sujato

:grinning:

Thank you Nadine; I apologize for being so late in replying… with much metta, Fred

1 Like

Absolutely, it sounds great.

When you say eleven pages, do you mean eleven webpages, i.e. structured sections? Or eleven pages of printed text?

Bhanthe, maybe @Fred could post it as a series and we could study them?

with metta,

1 Like

Bhante, sorry to be so behind in seeing a bit of discussion here. It is now 12 formatted text pages in ODT, for I used LibreOffice. I’ll do a 2nd reply and just send it to one of these replies. Of course I could send it as an ODT file as well. Much metta, Fred

I tried a paste Bhante, and it did not retain the formatting. Perhaps I could send it to your email as a file?
Fred
fmart@utk.edu

ODT is an editing format, and shouldn’t be used for sharing content. The way to share it depends on how complex the formatting is.

1. If the formatting is simple, convert to markdown and post here.
  2. If the formatting is complex (lots of styles, footnotes, tables, and so on), export as PDF.

.ODT is suffix for “Open Office” (free-ware MS Office substitute, originally from Sun, now part of Oracle) text documents, but from OpenOffice Writer (analog to MS Word), one can optionally save as .DOC, .TXT, .RTF, .HTML, etc.