Suttas on Impermanence

Hello gang, can anyone direct me towards any suttas or agamas in English that wax solely on Anicca?

Ta

I don’t know if it’s also in the Pali suttas, but the best metaphor I’ve ever seen for the impermanence of life is the Lotus Sutra’s reference to the world as a burning house. It reminds me of the fire sermon:

Thanks. Just trying to find an interesting quote for something I am writing

Definitely the fire sermon.

1 Like

With metta

1 Like

Suttas dealing with anicca, with parallels in MN, SN, AN.
(you will still have to check the specicic occurences of aniccā, within these parallels).

Khandha Saṃyutta:
SN 22.9, 12, 15, 26, 40, 43, 45, 46, 49, 51, 55, 57, 59, 79 to 88, 93, 94, 100, 102, 122, 147, 150 to 152.

Bojjhaṅga Saṃyutta:
SN 46.71, 72.

Ānāpāna Saṃyutta:
SN 54.1, 10, 13.

Sotāpatti Saṃyutta:
SN 55.3, 21, 54.

3 Likes

° “Rūpaṃ, bhikkhave, aniccaṃ. Yadaniccaṃ taṃ dukkhaṃ; yaṃ dukkhaṃ tadanattā; yadanattā taṃ ‘netaṃ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā’ti evametaṃ yathābhūtaṃ sammappaññāya daṭṭhabbaṃ. Vedanā aniccā. Yadaniccaṃ taṃ dukkhaṃ; yaṃ dukkhaṃ tadanattā; yadanattā taṃ ‘netaṃ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā’ti evametaṃ yathābhūtaṃ sammappaññāya daṭṭhabbaṃ. Saññā aniccā…pe… saṅkhārā aniccā… viññāṇaṃ aniccaṃ. Yadaniccaṃ taṃ dukkhaṃ; yaṃ dukkhaṃ tadanattā; yadanattā taṃ ‘netaṃ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā’ti evametaṃ yathābhūtaṃ sammappaññāya daṭṭhabbaṃ.

“Bhikkhus, material-form … sensations of feeling … sense-perception … mental-processes … consciousness is impermanent. Of what is impermanent is dissatisfying; of what is dissatisfying is not-self; of what is not-self is to be seen with perfect wisdom as it actually is thus ‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my Self.’”

“Evaṃ passaṃ bhikkhave, sutavā ariyasāvako rūpasimimpi nibbindati, vedanāyapi nibbindati, saññāyapi nibbindati, saṃkhāresupi nibbindati, viññāṇasmimpi nibbindati. Nibbindaṃ virajjati, virāgā vimuccati, vimuttasmiṃ vimuttamiti ñāṇaṃ hoti; khīṇā jāti vusitaṃ brahmacariyaṃ, kataṃ karaṇīyaṃ nāparaṃ itthattāyāti pajānātī’’ti. Catutthaṃ.

“Seeing thus bhikkhus, the learned noble disciple has had enough of material-form, has had enough of sensations of feeling, has had enough of sense-perception, has had enough of mental-processes, and has had enough of consciousness. Having had enough one is detached, dispassionate there is freedom, freed there is the knowledge ‘this is freedom!’ One knows – exhausted is birth, fulfilled is the highest vocation, done is what had to be done, there is nothing more for this life. – SN 22.15 (Yadaniccasuttaṃ)

° ‘yaṃ loko anicco dukkho vipariṇāmadhammo, ayaṃ loke ādīnavo.’

‘conditions are impermanent, dissatisfying and of the nature to change, such is the disadvantage of conditions.’ – AN. 3.104 (Pubbesambodhasuttaṃ)

° ‘sabbe kāmā aniccā dukkhā vipariṇāmadhammāti.’

‘All pleasures are impermanent, dissatisfying and of the nature to change.”

‘sabbe bhavā aniccā dukkhā vipariṇāmadhammāti.’

‘All existence is impermanent, dissatisfying and of the nature to change.’ – (AN. 4.185)

°‘piyānaṃ kho, nāgita, vipariṇāmaññathābhāvā … sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsā’

‘Nāgita, those dear ones are subject to change and instability, thus sorrow, grief, weeping, pain and mental distress will be one’s result.

‘pañcasu kho, nāgita, upādānakkhandhesu udayabbayānupassino viharato upādāne pāṭikulyatā saṇṭhāti eso tassa nissando"ti. dasamaṃ.

‘Nāgita, for one who abides contemplating the arising and falling of the five bases of existence subject to taking-up, if taking-up of what is loathsome is established, that will be one’s result. – AN. 5.30 (Nāgita Sutta)

° ‘…pañcasu upādānakkhandhesu udayabbayaanupassī viharati iti rūpaṃ, iti rūpassa samudayo, iti rūpassa atthaṅgamo;… tassa imesu pañcasu upādānakkhandhesu udayabbayānupassino viharato yopissa hoti pañcasu upādānakkhandhesu anusahagato ‘asmī’ti, māno ‘asmī’ti, chando ‘asmī’ti anusayo asamūhato, sopi samugghātaṃ gacchatī”ti.

“…one abides contemplating the rise and fall of the five bases subject to taking-up; ‘this is material-form, this is the coming into being of material-form, this is the decline of material-form.’… so it is that when one abides contemplating the rise and fall of the five bases subject to taking-up the residue “I am”; notion “I am; underlying inclination “I am” that has not been uprooted, comes to be uprooted.” – SN 22.89 (Khemaka Sutta)

1 Like

Not so well-known: the Anityatāsūtra ( མི་རྟག་པ་ཉིད་ཀྱི་མདོ། ), a lovely short discourse on impermanence available at 84000. Fits the EBT style.