Suttas on Impermanence

Hello gang, can anyone direct me towards any suttas or agamas in English that wax solely on Anicca?

Ta

I donā€™t know if itā€™s also in the Pali suttas, but the best metaphor Iā€™ve ever seen for the impermanence of life is the Lotus Sutraā€™s reference to the world as a burning house. It reminds me of the fire sermon:

Thanks. Just trying to find an interesting quote for something I am writing

Definitely the fire sermon.

1 Like

With metta

1 Like

Suttas dealing with anicca, with parallels in MN, SN, AN.
(you will still have to check the specicic occurences of aniccā, within these parallels).

Khandha Saį¹ƒyutta:
SN 22.9, 12, 15, 26, 40, 43, 45, 46, 49, 51, 55, 57, 59, 79 to 88, 93, 94, 100, 102, 122, 147, 150 to 152.

Bojjhaį¹…ga Saį¹ƒyutta:
SN 46.71, 72.

Ānāpāna Saį¹ƒyutta:
SN 54.1, 10, 13.

Sotāpatti Saį¹ƒyutta:
SN 55.3, 21, 54.

3 Likes

Ā° ā€œRÅ«paį¹ƒ, bhikkhave, aniccaį¹ƒ. Yadaniccaį¹ƒ taį¹ƒ dukkhaį¹ƒ; yaį¹ƒ dukkhaį¹ƒ tadanattā; yadanattā taį¹ƒ ā€˜netaį¹ƒ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attāā€™ti evametaį¹ƒ yathābhÅ«taį¹ƒ sammappaƱƱāya daį¹­į¹­habbaį¹ƒ. Vedanā aniccā. Yadaniccaį¹ƒ taį¹ƒ dukkhaį¹ƒ; yaį¹ƒ dukkhaį¹ƒ tadanattā; yadanattā taį¹ƒ ā€˜netaį¹ƒ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attāā€™ti evametaį¹ƒ yathābhÅ«taį¹ƒ sammappaƱƱāya daį¹­į¹­habbaį¹ƒ. SaƱƱā aniccāā€¦peā€¦ saį¹…khārā aniccāā€¦ viƱƱāį¹‡aį¹ƒ aniccaį¹ƒ. Yadaniccaį¹ƒ taį¹ƒ dukkhaį¹ƒ; yaį¹ƒ dukkhaį¹ƒ tadanattā; yadanattā taį¹ƒ ā€˜netaį¹ƒ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attāā€™ti evametaį¹ƒ yathābhÅ«taį¹ƒ sammappaƱƱāya daį¹­į¹­habbaį¹ƒ.

ā€œBhikkhus, material-form ā€¦ sensations of feeling ā€¦ sense-perception ā€¦ mental-processes ā€¦ consciousness is impermanent. Of what is impermanent is dissatisfying; of what is dissatisfying is not-self; of what is not-self is to be seen with perfect wisdom as it actually is thus ā€˜This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my Self.ā€™ā€

ā€œEvaį¹ƒ passaį¹ƒ bhikkhave, sutavā ariyasāvako rÅ«pasimimpi nibbindati, vedanāyapi nibbindati, saƱƱāyapi nibbindati, saį¹ƒkhāresupi nibbindati, viƱƱāį¹‡asmimpi nibbindati. Nibbindaį¹ƒ virajjati, virāgā vimuccati, vimuttasmiį¹ƒ vimuttamiti Ʊāį¹‡aį¹ƒ hoti; khÄ«į¹‡Ä jāti vusitaį¹ƒ brahmacariyaį¹ƒ, kataį¹ƒ karaį¹‡Ä«yaį¹ƒ nāparaį¹ƒ itthattāyāti pajānātÄ«ā€™ā€™ti. Catutthaį¹ƒ.

ā€œSeeing thus bhikkhus, the learned noble disciple has had enough of material-form, has had enough of sensations of feeling, has had enough of sense-perception, has had enough of mental-processes, and has had enough of consciousness. Having had enough one is detached, dispassionate there is freedom, freed there is the knowledge ā€˜this is freedom!ā€™ One knows ā€“ exhausted is birth, fulfilled is the highest vocation, done is what had to be done, there is nothing more for this life. ā€“ SN 22.15 (Yadaniccasuttaį¹ƒ)

Ā° ā€˜yaį¹ƒ loko anicco dukkho vipariį¹‡Ämadhammo, ayaį¹ƒ loke ādÄ«navo.ā€™

ā€˜conditions are impermanent, dissatisfying and of the nature to change, such is the disadvantage of conditions.ā€™ ā€“ AN. 3.104 (Pubbesambodhasuttaį¹ƒ)

Ā° ā€˜sabbe kāmā aniccā dukkhā vipariį¹‡Ämadhammāti.ā€™

ā€˜All pleasures are impermanent, dissatisfying and of the nature to change.ā€

ā€˜sabbe bhavā aniccā dukkhā vipariį¹‡Ämadhammāti.ā€™

ā€˜All existence is impermanent, dissatisfying and of the nature to change.ā€™ ā€“ (AN. 4.185)

Ā°ā€˜piyānaį¹ƒ kho, nāgita, vipariį¹‡ÄmaƱƱathābhāvā ā€¦ sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsāā€™

ā€˜Nāgita, those dear ones are subject to change and instability, thus sorrow, grief, weeping, pain and mental distress will be oneā€™s result.

ā€˜paƱcasu kho, nāgita, upādānakkhandhesu udayabbayānupassino viharato upādāne pāį¹­ikulyatā saį¹‡į¹­hāti eso tassa nissando"ti. dasamaį¹ƒ.

ā€˜Nāgita, for one who abides contemplating the arising and falling of the five bases of existence subject to taking-up, if taking-up of what is loathsome is established, that will be oneā€™s result. ā€“ AN. 5.30 (Nāgita Sutta)

ā€¦

Ā° ā€˜ā€¦paƱcasu upādānakkhandhesu udayabbayaanupassÄ« viharati iti rÅ«paį¹ƒ, iti rÅ«passa samudayo, iti rÅ«passa atthaį¹…gamo;ā€¦ tassa imesu paƱcasu upādānakkhandhesu udayabbayānupassino viharato yopissa hoti paƱcasu upādānakkhandhesu anusahagato ā€˜asmÄ«ā€™ti, māno ā€˜asmÄ«ā€™ti, chando ā€˜asmÄ«ā€™ti anusayo asamÅ«hato, sopi samugghātaį¹ƒ gacchatÄ«ā€ti.

ā€œā€¦one abides contemplating the rise and fall of the five bases subject to taking-up; ā€˜this is material-form, this is the coming into being of material-form, this is the decline of material-form.ā€™ā€¦ so it is that when one abides contemplating the rise and fall of the five bases subject to taking-up the residue ā€œI amā€; notion ā€œI am; underlying inclination ā€œI amā€ that has not been uprooted, comes to be uprooted.ā€ ā€“ SN 22.89 (Khemaka Sutta)

1 Like

Not so well-known: the AnityatāsÅ«tra ( ą½˜ą½²ą¼‹ą½¢ą¾Ÿą½‚ą¼‹ą½”ą¼‹ą½‰ą½²ą½‘ą¼‹ą½€ą¾±ą½²ą¼‹ą½˜ą½‘ą½¼ą¼ ), a lovely short discourse on impermanence available at 84000. Fits the EBT style.