Suttas on Kamma in EBT

I hope this can be useful for people studying kamma in EBT. The description i used for the content of the sutta’s is just to give an indication.

Sutta’s on Kamma in EBT

Majjhima Nikaya

MN7: Bad kamma cannot be purified in holy rivers but by practicing Dhamma

MN45: Shorter exposition about four ways of undertaking things with four different results

MN46: Greater exposition about four ways of undertaking things with four different results, Difference between the ignorant and wise person

MN56: On karmic weight of bodily, verbal and mental deed.

MN57: Imitating the life of a dog and ox will only lead to birth as dog and ox when perfected. When seeing these practices as the path to heaven, that wrong view leads to hell. Also about dark, light, dark-and-light, dark-nor-light kamma with different results.

MN61: Purifying the three karmic gateways by constantly reflecting before doing, speaking and thinking, while doing and afterwards. The Dhamma-mirror.

MN78: About the origin and end of (un)wholesome habits and intentions

MN86: Someone whose bad deed is supplanted by the good, lights up the world, like the moon freed from a cloud. Angulimala, a murderer, with bloody hands, became an arahant

MN98: Deeds make the world go on, deeds make the person, deeds make one a wise

MN129: The destiny of the fool and wise.

MN135: Shorter Exposition on kamma

MN136: Greater Exposition on kamma

Samyutta Nikaya

SN1.57, SN3.20, SN3.22: Kamma dictates rebirth destination, kamma is like a shadow that follows you

SN12.25: Are pleasure and pain made by oneself, by others, both oneself and others, or by chance? Intention giving rise to bodily, verbal and mental deed will lead to pleasure and pain. Ignorance is included. Buddha’s view on dependently arising pleasure and pain.

SN12.37: Body and six internal sense base is old kamma

SN12.38-SN12.40: Kamma and rebirth mechanism

SN14.12: Due to thoughts of sensuality, ill-will and cruelty, an uneducated ordinary person behaves badly in three ways: by body, speech, and mind.

SN 22.82 : - Emptiness does not negate the law of karma

SN35.146: About old and new kamma, cessation of kamma and the Path.

SN36.21: not everything we experience is result of past kamma

SN 42.8: Most people, even murderers, are not most of the time enagaged in immoral activity. This does not mean one is moral and will not be born in hell. The Buddhist and Jain ideas about this constrated. How to overcome the bad kamma?

SN46.26: With the destruction of tanha comes the destruction of kamma. With that the destruction of suffering

Anguttara Nikaya

AN1.314 and 1.315: On the relationship between view, kamma and results of kamma

AN3.34: 3 causes for wholesome kamma, 3 other causes for unwholesome kamma

AN3.58: Rebirth according kamma

AN3.61: The beliefs that everything is caused by past karma, by a creator God or by chance all lead to inaction.

AN3.74, AN4.195: Wearing away old kamma and not creating new kamma

AN3.76, AN3.77: Kamma is the field, consciousness the seed, desire the moisture

AN3.100: The spiritual life is impossible if we must experience the result of kamma in exactly the same way it is created

AN3.111: 3 causes for unwholesome kamma resulting in suffering; 3 causes for wholesome kamma resulting in happiness.

AN3.112: Causes for arising kamma, related to past, present and future

AN4.77: Results of kamma are hard to grasp and one can become mad trying to figure things out. Not suited to try to figure out

AN4.171: Wholesome and unwholesome volitional activity instigates from ourselves or others result in inner pleasure and pain

AN4.182: No one can guarantee that bad kamma will not have results.

AN4.233: Classification in dark kamma with dark result, light kamma with light result, dark-and-light kamma with dark-and-light result, nor dark and light kamma, kamma that leads to the destruction of kamma

AN4.235, AN4.236: Same classification in dark and light kamma, explained and related to behavior

AN4.237: Same, and what is kamma that leads to the destruction of kamma. It is noble 8-fold path

AN4.238, Same, enlightment factors are kamma that destroys kamma

AN5.57, AN10.48: Kamma, as a theme to contemplate regularly.

AN5.175: Superstitious and seeing signs or believing in kamma?

AN6.39: 3 causes for wholesome and unwholesome kamma and rebirth

AN6.63: General definition of kamma, source of kamma, diversity of kamma, results of kamma, cessation and path to cessation of kamma

AN6.64: Seeing all the results of kamma is the domain of the Tathagata

AN6.86: Kamma can be an obstacle for entering the right course

AN 7.52: Differents kinds of giving, with different kind of results.

AN8.40: Cultivating killing, stealing, sexual abuse, false speech, divisive speech, harsh speech, idle chatter, liquor and wine leads to birth in lower realms, or, again born as human, to certain bad experiences which are mentioned

AN10.47: 5 causes for bad kamma (also unwise attention and wrong directed mind), 5 causes for good kamma

AN10.104: Any bodily, verbal and mental kamma based upon the wrong 10-fold Path leads to suffering, the right 10-fold noble path leads to wellbeing and happiness

AN10.174: With the destruction of greed, hate and delusion the source of kamma is abolished

AN10.211: The ten kinds of bad deeds lead you to hell; the ten good deeds to heaven.

AN10.216: In what way is someone the owner of his/her kamma?

AN10.217 and AN10.218: There is no ending of willed kamma and suffering without experiencing the results

AN10.219: : There is no ending of willed kamma and suffering without experiencing the results, effect of practicing Brahmavihara’s on kamma.

Khuddakapattha

Nidi Kanda Sutta: Wholesome kamma is as savings

Dhammapada

Dhp 1-2: Speaking and acting with impure thoughts, suffering is the result. Speaking and acting with pure thoughts happiness is the result

Dhp 15-18: About the suffering of impure kamma, about the happiness of pure kamma

Dhp 53: Do a lot of good

Dhp 66-71: Being an enemy to oneself while doing bad deeds. When bad deeds ripen the fool suffers.

Dhp 119-127: The fool fills himself up with bad deeds, the wise with good deeds

Dhp 131-133: Wanting happiness for oneself, one must also aim for others happiness

Dhp 136-140: A bad deeds burns a fool

Dhp 161-165: What is bad and harmful is easy to do, but whatever is good and wholesome is difficult to do.

Dhp 173: Someone compensating his bad deeds with good deeds illuminates this world

Dhp 177: Misers do not go to heaven, fools never appreciate great-heartedness

Dhp 183: Avoiding all bad, doing only good, and purifying mind is the teachings of the Buddha

Dhp 220: Merit welcomes one in the other world

Dhp 240: Bad kamma is like rust eating away iron

Dhp 246, Dhp 247, Dhp 248: Bad deeds are hard to control, let them not drag you away to lower realms

Dhp 267: A bhikkhu is beyond good and bad deeds

Dhp 281: The three karmic doorways are purified by always being alert

Dhp 306- 319: Protect oneself and do not bad deed

Dhp 331-333: Avoiding bad deed, merit is a blessing

Dhp 391: A brahman is controlled in body, speech and mind and does not bad things

Dhp 412: A brahman is beyond both the bond of merit and evil

Udana

Udana 2.3, Danda Sutta: Beings seek happiness like oneself. Bringing harm to beings who seek happiness like oneself, does not lead to heaven

Udana 3.1: Kamma sutta: Bearing old kamma

Udana 4.2: Uddhata sutta: Leaving all bad births behind

Udana 5.3: Kutthi Sutta: The heavy consequences of acting bad to a Pratyeka Buddha

Udana 5.4: Kumaraka Sutta: If you want no pain, afflict no pain on others

Udana 8.6: Pataligamiya Sutta: Fruits of moral and immoral living

Itivutakka

Iti 1.1-1.6: Results of being free from defilements

Iti 1.14: Without ignorance samsara stops

Iti 1.15: Tanha as the motor of samsara

Iti 1.18: Bad consequences of dividing the Sangha

Iti 1.19: Good consequences of uniting the Sangha

Iti 1.20: Results of a corrupt mind

Iti 1.21: Results of a pure mind, heaven

Iti 1.22: Train in meritorious deeds. They bring longtime happiness, give, have a balanced live and develop good will, results is rebirth in a world of bliss.

Iti 2.28: Not controlling the senses and not being moderate in eating one lives here and now in stress and also after this life.

Iti. 2.29: Good results of controlling senses and being moderate in eating

Iti 2.32: Bad habits and bad view carry one away to hell

Iti 2.33: Good habits and right views carry one away to heaven

Iti 3.60: Three bases for merit: giving, ethical conduct and mental development. It will lead to longstanding happiness

Iti 3.64: Three kind of misconduct lead to hell

Iti 3.65: Abandoning three kinds of misconduct lead to heaven

Iti 3.89: The fate of Devadatta

Iti 3.93: Sensual longing, the fire of hate, the fire of delusion, enjoying self-identity, the lower realms swell, the pure Dhamma leads to the end of rebirth.

Sutta Nipata

Snp 2.6: Ban those monks with corrupt minds, those monk with bad habits go from dark to still more dark births

Snp 3.10: We can be born with a axe in our mouths, accusing pure people, having great dark consequences

Theragata

Thag12.2: Kamma is no destiny; being born in a low family one can become an arahant

10 Likes

Thanks for the detailed work, moved to Reading Guides.

2 Likes

coming days i will add all hyperlinks

1 Like

Wonderful sir! You really have made it easy to scroll through now! Thank you so much for these efforts!:pray::smiley:

2 Likes

Some others

MN 98 The astute regard deeds in accord with truth. Seeing dependent origination, they’re expert in deeds and their results.
SN 12.25 There are ascetics and brahmins who teach the efficacy of deeds. The Buddha said that happiness and suffering are dependently originated.
SN 14.12 Due to thoughts of sensuality, ill-will and cruelty, an uneducated ordinary person behaves badly in three ways: by body, speech, and mind.
AN 3.61 The beliefs that everything is caused by past karma, by a creator God or by chance all lead to inaction.
AN 10.211 The ten kinds of bad deeds lead you to hell; the ten good deeds to heaven.

4 Likes

You might consider changing this to a wiki post so in the future others can either update or correct things.

Also, you can make the book titles into headings by typing
## Udana

that will make this:

Udana

3 Likes

My humble additions:

• SN 22.82 - Emptiness does not negate the law of karma
  • SN 36.21 - not everything is the result of past karma
  • SN 42.8 - The Buddhist and Jain methods for overcoming bad karma contrasted
  • AN 7.52 on the effects of giving
  • Thag 12.2 - Karma is not destiny
  • DA 12 - A classification of states not preserved in the Pāli
  • The Karma-Vibanga if that isn’t too “late” a Buddhist text for you…
5 Likes

I will add the additions in the list the coming days. Thanks for them.

Looks like you have most things linked up, but, inspired by your post, I created this tool to add them automatically:

It will be handy especially for the Iti citations since you have them in the chapter-sutta format and SC uses just sutta format (i.e. 1–112). You can use that tool and it will keep the citations as they are but use the appropriate url for the link. But you will have to change all of the Udana to the abbreviation Ud for the tool to catch those.

You may be interested in this study guide by Ajahn Thanissaro:
https://accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/kamma.html
Be aware, though, that for some suttas in the SN and AN, the citations may be slightly different from those on Sutta Central.

2 Likes

Hi There,

Just finished all the links to the selected sutta’s on kamma with great help of Snowbird! Thanks Snowbird.

I had selected some Dhammapada verses, such as Dhp331-334.
As you see these leads you to the first verse mentioned. I believe this is the best possible while refering to more than one verse.

thanks again Snowbird for your assistence. Greatly appreciated.

@Snowbird , your suggestion to make a Wiki page i have to reflect upon. Do others also feel this is a good idea? I have never done such thing before, and i as buddhist, you know, are scared for new challenges and especially change :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think Snowbird means you just make your opening post a wiki , it’s not that complicated. It will help keep the links updated in the future.

2 Likes

Dear @Green,

Please find below a step-by-step guide on how to make the OP into a wiki.

Please also let us @moderators know if any further information or assistance is required.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

What about MN 86 Aṅgulimāla Sutta? Results in a few debates.

I have added the sutta. I think it is nice and relevant, for it shows that the bad kamma of killing is not necessary an obstacle for becoming an arahant. (probably killing mother and father and arahant is?)

I will see now how i can turn it into a wiki.

2 Likes

I tried to change the OP in a wiki post as suggested by @Snowbird . I am not sure but maybe it was succesful because now i see an edit button. Can a moderator confirm this is now a wiki post?
I think it is because i also see an orange button on top of the OP

I have understood wiki means other users can make edits too. But ones trust-level must be high enough.

Maybe it is a good idea that changes in the post are shared, or maybe this happens automatically?

Hi @Green,
All looks good to me! The OP now seems to have successfully become a wiki post. You seemed, though, to have also inadvertently set a later post in the thread to be a wiki post (Suttas on Kamma in EBT - #14 by Green), so I set that back to being an ordinary post. Anyway, other users should now also be able to edit the OP.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “shared” but I believe now you will get an alert when someone makes a modification.

And anyone can see the history of modifications by clicking on this button:

3 Likes