Suttas that reference other suttas by name

You can make your post a wiki if you’d like so that others can modify it themselves (and so you can continue to update it after the usual expiration date)

3 Likes

SĀ 205 (i.e. a discourse preserved in Chinese translation) has the Buddha reciting all the verses of the Udāna! There is no Pāli parallel to this discourse, and it is very curious.

See SuttaCentral

1 Like

Thanks so much for getting us back on track! Amazing!!

SN 10.6 mentions Anuruddha reciting “dhammapadāni” (which Bhante @sujato translated it as “passages of the teaching”). Perhaps this sutta refers to an early Dhammapada text :thinking:

1 Like

MN28 - The greater discourse on the elephant’s footprint
quotes MN21 - The simile of the saw.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, can you be a little bit more specific? what is quoted exactly?

Metta

4 Likes

Thanks @AdrianMagno !! amazing, I have added it to the wiki. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve added SA106 to the list as it refers to the Yamaka. I note that this would give priority to the version of the sutta given by Sariputta.

Interesting reference. I think you can ask the question if it actually refers to the sutta or just the simile. Similes are mentioned or referenced quite a few times, I recall seeing most of them in Theri/Theragatha.

Somewhat related, the (probably?) oldest references to the suttas can be found on a rock edict from Asoka. Here also the titles are somewhat problematic:

These Dhamma texts — Extracts from the Discipline, the Noble Way of Life, the Fears to Come, the Poem on the Silent Sage, the Discourse on the Pure Life, Upatisa’s Questions, and the Advice to Rahula which was spoken by the Buddha concerning false speech — these Dhamma texts, reverend sirs, I desire that all the monks and nuns may constantly listen to and remember. Likewise the laymen and laywomen. I have had this written that you may know my intentions.
The Edicts of King Asoka

Footnote
There is disagreement amongst scholars concerning which Pali suttas correspond to some of the text. Vinaya samukose: probably the Atthavasa Vagga, Anguttara Nikaya, 1:98-100. Aliya vasani: either the Ariyavasa Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya, V:29, or the Ariyavamsa Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya, II: 27-28. Anagata bhayani: probably the Anagata Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya, III:100. Muni gatha: Muni Sutta, Sutta Nipata 207-221. Upatisa pasine: Sariputta Sutta, Sutta Nipata 955-975. Laghulavade: Rahulavada Sutta, Majjhima Nikaya, I:421.

2 Likes

Hey @Danny , that’s a good point. Although the actual title of the sutta is “The Simile of the Saw”.

I guess it’s up to @josephzizys to make the call :anjal:

Have a good one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ive added MN125 to the OP.

It would be great if AI tools like chatGPT can compile a network map of suttas that either reference other sutta, suttas that are basically the same, addressing the same topic or are supplementary to the topic. The first step is to feed information that chatGPT will “scrape.” Several methods are used to induce Web Scrape Using ChatGPT.

1 Like

Hmm. What is the root of kumāra? Or ghaṇṭā? Or rūpa? Or nāga?

2 Likes

Just came across another one, AN7.53 → Parayanavagga

EDIT: I see you only have AN3.32, but AN3.33 as well, also Parayanavagga.

And AN6.61 is also a famous one → Parayanavagga

Another one from the Parayanavagga: SN12.31 (parallel in Chinese and Sanskrit)

1 Like

Not as clear as the other ones, but this one counts as well I think:
AN9.42 → SN2.7

2 Likes

That verse is rather controversial / famous because people argue whether or not it means the Buddha discovered jhāna.

The analysis in the AN actually heavily favors the reading that the Buddha discovered jhāna, by defining the ‘opening amid confinement’ he discovered as the jhānas!

Wondering if @Sunyo has considered it?
EDIT: Sorry for tag/ping, I found this was already discussed in a prior comment.

Mettā

Another one with Ananda:
SN22.90 → SN12.15

1 Like