Terrible wrong speech of mine

I hope it helps @willy1 but I want to emphasize the first part of the video/teaching that differentiates between regret and guilt. Having regret for our non-virtuous actions is very different from having guilt for our non-virtuous actions. The former is to be cultivated and the latter is to be abandoned. Guilt is just not helpful, but regret and the other four opponent powers are helpful and should be cultivated. I think this can be found in the Theravada tradition as well.

I’ll share a scene as it really helped me understand the difference between regret and guilt:

Imagine being extremely thirsty after spending a day in the sun working. Imagine that you come in from the heat and see a glass of water on the counter. You pick up the glass and drink it and only after drinking do you discover a label that you missed that says poison. Instantly, you would have the true feeling of regret for drinking this glass, but you wouldn’t necessarily have the feeling of guilt. You’d wholeheartedly wish you didn’t drink this glass, but you wouldn’t feel guilty and dwell on how horrible you are for having done so. Regretting your action you’d seek to remedy it immediately to the best of your ability and vow not to do it again. Guilt on the other hand might delay your remedy as it can make us feel powerless to do anything and instead cause us to wallow in self-pity. This is the difference between regret (which can be helpful) and guilt (which isn’t).

:pray:

4 Likes