Extravagant independent research

Any corrections ?

East and West Comparison
Less investigation vs. Less faith
Less direct vs . Less virtuous
Less independent vs. Less obedient
Less equality among equals vs. Less inequality among unequals
Any corrections

:slight_smile: What is “East” and what is “West”?

Are these defined in EBT suttas?

Perhaps this thread belongs in another category?

How might this be useful etc.?

May all be happy, peaceful, ultimately freed from all suffering.

As modified,

Eastern learners:
Less investigation of the authenticity of texts
Less faith in modern commentaries
Less independent research

Western Learners:
Less faith in texts due to unverified authenticity
Less faith in old commentaries
Extravagant independent research
Any corrections ?

… this may simply be a personal view, but considering the involvement and deep appreciation of Eastern & Western persons in the EBT work resulting in SuttaCentral.net (suttas; vinaya; the A-stuff; and essays and more which are resulting…) i personally don’t see the above generalizations holding water.

However, @thang perhaps you are sorting out some ideas and conditioning as part of engagement with what the Buddha taught. :slight_smile: Imo, such is doing the work in following the Path. And that is excellent imo.

I think conceit is indirectly or inversely proportionate to faith or saddha. It’s also more religious vs less religious, East vs West. Perhaps less meditation practice vs more meditation, in the West. People are more aware of dhamma concepts in the East. Proportionately more monastics (and monasteries) in the East. People question their monastic less, in the East.

You could also phrase it positively:

Eastern students tend to have:
More faith in the teachings
More respect for traditions and teachers

Western students tend to have:
More analytical interest
More skepticism

2 Likes

One side is more politically correct too! :grinning:

With metta

1 Like

Wasn’t my intention but that should earn me some extra PC points! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they’ll let you into the Optimum Program.

2 Likes

What? :thinking:

PC Optimum is a single loyalty program operated by Canadian retail conglomerate Loblaw Companies

1 Like

Firstly, I suspect Western posters here may not be typical in terms of Western Buddhists in terms of knowledge of the texts! :slight_smile:

You might also want to differentiate between convert and cultural Buddhists in the West. There’s probably a much higher proportion of converts in the West. From being raised a Catholic, the few convert Catholics I came across in my life were generally far more knowledgeable and interested and serious about it than the standard Catholic raised in the religion. I’d say that holds generally for converts. Buddhist numbers still are low enough in the West. The Western convert has probably become dissatisfied with the religion they were raised in (almost certainly Christianity) and has looked around, so is probably naturally more questioning and sceptical, but likely also a bit more zealous when they do get going! :slight_smile: Though that may have been true in the Buddha’s day for the first generation of coverts too (when religions become long-established there’s probably a somewhat different vibe and dynamics).

If a significant multi-generational Buddhist community becomes established in the West (not including those originating from Buddhist countries), I’d expect later generations to follow more Eastern patterns (those raised in a religion, I think, tend to be more easy-going about the whole thing).

1 Like

The points in this loyalty program are called “PC Points” (or used to be colloquially referred to like this). It was a pretty bad joke.

2 Likes