Text where Buddha was fed by Sujata and shifted to Middle Way

Which sutta or text describes Buddha receiving milk rice from Sujata under the Bodhi tree and how he shifted his practice from severe austerity to the Middle Way?

Iā€™m not sure which text Sujata appears on but here is MN36:

Then it occurred to me, ā€˜I recall sitting in the cool shade of the rose-apple tree while my father the Sakyan was off working. Quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, I entered and remained in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. Could that be the path to awakening?ā€™

Stemming from that memory came the realization: ā€˜That is the path to awakening!ā€™

Then it occurred to me, ā€˜Why am I afraid of that pleasure, for it has nothing to do with sensual pleasures or unskillful qualities?ā€™ Then I thought, ā€˜Iā€™m not afraid of that pleasure, for it has nothing to do with sensual pleasures or unskillful qualities.ā€™

Then I thought, ā€˜I canā€™t achieve that pleasure with a body so excessively emaciated. Why donā€™t I eat some solid food, some rice and porridge?ā€™ So I ate some solid food.

3 Likes

This is the important part of that statement, and is put into practical form in the second tetrad of the Anapanasati sutta, and the second foundation of mindfulness. In the latter discrimination must be made between two types of pleasant feelings. Successfully done, this allows the escape from sensual feelings of the flesh:

ā€œEven though a disciple of the noble ones has clearly seen as it actually is with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, still ā€” if he has not attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that[4] ā€” he can be tempted by sensuality. But when he has clearly seen as it actually is with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, and he has attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, he cannot be tempted by sensuality.ā€ā€”Majhima Nikaya 14

1 Like

Here is some information from the Dictionary of Proper Pali Names: Sujātā. It looks like the references are to commentaries.

1 Like

I believe this story can be found in the Jataka Nidanakatha. (of the Jataka commentary)

1 Like

Thank you. MN36 seems to be the only EBT that covers this topic but without mention of Sujataā€™s food offering, which seems to be from an introduction to the Jataka Tales (a commentary with Buddhist folk tales). From MN36, the Buddha decided to eat solid food to maintain his body so he may easily attain to jhana states and progress toward enlightenment.

Sujataā€™s gift does not appear in any EBT. Neither do many of the famous events surrounding his life and enlightenment.

Her gift is also mentioned in the DhpA:

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/English-Texts/Buddhist-Legends/01-08.htm

2 Likes

One modern text that reports this episode is a small collection of Buddhist-themed nursery rhymes that I composed for my stepdaughter. Itā€™s a parody of Little Miss Muffet.

Little Miss Sujātā
Execrated steak tartar,
But loved eating milk-rice and whey.
Came a starved Bodhisatta
And without fuss or clatter,
She gave all her milk-rice away.

6 Likes