Thai first names beginning letter - weekday?

Is it true that thais name their babys with names in which the beginning letter has a connection to the weekday the baby is born?
I hope its ok to ask that in the watercooler I dont find the answer in google.

It appears so - please see https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Thai-naming-system-returns-the-letters-for-the-day-of-birth-which-is-Sunday-screenshot_fig2_228976802

Also in Thailand, it is common that the first letter of the Pali name given to a monk at time of ordination accords to the day of the week, e.g. Monday k, kh, g, gh; Tuesday c, ch, j, jh, ñ; and so on

4 Likes

This is one of the reasons we see so many monks names start with Ṭ relative to the number of Pali words that start with this letter.

Using astrology for naming, I believe, is not exclusive to Thai culture by any means. But there are different systems.

5 Likes

Thanks, does anyone know which letter is wich weekday?

Do you know the letters for thursday? And if the letters are the same for first names as for pali names?

I contacted a monk friend in Thailand today, but he didn’t know about days of week & first names. Apparently, this system is in place in Myanamar though:

Monk names in some temples in Thailand are given according to which day of the week one is born - first consonant from five consonant groups (vagga)

Monday: k-vagga k kh g gh
Tuesday: c-vagga c ch j jh ñ
Wednesday: ṭ-vagga ṭ ṭh ḍ ḍh
Thursday: t-vagga t th d dh n
Friday: p-vagga p ph b bh m

Perhaps names for monks born on Saturday & Sunday accord with first letters from these groups?
Ungrouped consonants: y r l ḷ v s h
Vowels: a ā i ī u ū e o

I don’t know if this system is also used for first names

2 Likes