Thailand monasteries supportive of EBT views

I’m interested in monasteries in Thailand that practice in line with the Early Buddhist text views or close to them or alternatively, have a good teacher and a community that is practicing well.

I’m based in Chiang Mai at this time. My practice has been adhering to the five precepts and reading / independently verifying the suttas. I’m interested in a gradual transition from a lay practitioner > anagarika > ordination based on a fit.

At this point, I’m open to learning more. Also open to remote/smaller monasteries, less famous teachers.

The most famous monastery along these lines is Ajahn Kukrit’s Wat Na Pa Pong (Buddhawajana Institute).

But I am sure there will be many other places, hopefully we’ll learn about them. :pray:

4 Likes

To save folks some time, here is a link to a Google translated version of the page:
https://th-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/วัดนาป่าพง?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

2 Likes

After a brief visit to Wat Na Pa Pong, I can say they’re indeed supportive of EBT views. It’s a wonderful place.

I have also found Wat Suan Mokkh to be supportive of EBT views.

Right, Ajahn Buddhadasa was a pioneer in this area.

1 Like

His views diverge a lot from the EBT and are full of idiosyncrasies.

1 Like

Can you explain more in details please ?

His concepts of two types of language is unique to him. The idea that dependent origination happens in one moment, and can’t be expressed as operating over lives, is also not in agreement with the EBT. That said, in his book “Me and Mine” he does actually acknowledge that rebirth occurs. Its the only place I’ve ever read him acknowledging it.