The 717 Chanting Book

Thanks @Robbie, looks great! I’ll add the pdf to the Lokanta website if that’s okay?

4 Likes

There’s a niggahīta missing from the third verse of the Maṅgalasutta:

etaṃ maṅgalam-uttama > etaṃ maṅgalam-uttamaṃ

5 Likes

Thanks Venerable, should be fixed now.

Wow! I hope many will find it useful. :gift_heart: :slightly_smiling_face: If I find time for it, I will also see if I can make an EPUB version.

On a technical note, the best download link would be https://github.com/cuboids/717/raw/master/717_Chanting_Book.pdf. There may still be some slight mistakes in the current version, but I will make sure that the file called “717_Chanting_Book” in my 717 repo will always be up-to-date (I’m Cuboids on GitHub). :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The duck species portrayed on the Metta Sutta page is:

1 Like

Okay thanks @Robbie, I’ll change the link on the website later today to the one you’ve provided there. People are already finding it useful - and beautiful!

6 Likes

And, if we want more than a clear translation, here is Anandajoti’s grammatical analysis of the Maṅgala, Ratana and Mettā suttas:

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Tisuttanirutti/Tisuttanirutti.htm

What a treasure trove!

10 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Beautiful BSWA chanting video

Here’s a recording of Bhante Sujato and I chanting the Ratana Sutta.

8 Likes

Dare we ask for recordings of the other two sutras and the preliminary chants by the time the lockdown lifts and the venerables go out into the community again? :pray:

4 Likes

Bhante @Akaliko, Thank you so much for the 717 sessions. It has been inspirational to be able to participate in live sessions in this way, something that’s hard for most of us to do everyday “in person”.

Given that these 717 live events will cease soon, would it be possible for you, or DhammaNet, to create a playlist of one of each of the sessions (including the refuges and recollection) for future use? It has been a pleasure to learn to chant these three suttas, and having the recordings available would be great, as I could continue to use them as part of my practice routine.

:pray:

2 Likes

The grammatical analysis is great. But learning to chant these suttas has also got me interested in the metre. This, of course, one eventually absorbs by repetition, but it is interesting to understand how it works.

Ānandajoti Bhikkhu has a book: An Outline of the Metres in the Pāḷi Canon
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Outline/index.htm

There he has a detailed analysis of the Mangalasutta with light (v) and heavy (-) syllables indicated [I’ve subsituted a “v” here, to replace the special character used in the book]:

Here is a verse from Mangalasutta of Khuddakapāṭha (5: 1) together
with its analysis:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 || 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
v − − − ¦ v − − − ¦ ¦ − v − v ¦ v − v −
a & b Bahū devā manussā ca, ~ mangalāni acintayuṁ,
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 || 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
− − v − ¦ − − − − ¦ ¦ − v − v ¦ v − v −
c & d Ākankhamānā sotthānaṁ, ~ brūhi mangalam-uttamaṁ.

3 Likes

Thanks @mikenz66, it’s nice to know someone is watching! I’ll talk to dhammanet about some playlists. I think it’s a good idea.

4 Likes

I would love to have them going forward, but a playlist of three should be sufficient, shouldn’t it be? Some episodes transmitted better than others thanks to the vagaries of the NBN.

I have found these sessions so reassuring. I would love to have a portable soundtrack on my phone. A huge thank you for this lovely little bit of routine on a troubled sea, or something like that.

4 Likes

13 of use this morning… :pray:

1 Like

I couldn’t get on at lunchtime so I used yesterday’s. After all, time’s just an illusion.

2 Likes

How fitting that akaliko literally means ‘timeless’ :pray:

3 Likes

Now that I’m getting on top of the pali chanting of the three Paritta (Protective) Suttas, I’ve been inspired to go back to Bhikkhu Bodhi’s talks on the Sutta Nipata, which starts off with a very detailed analysis of the Paritta Suttas:
https://bodhimonastery.org/sutta-nipata.html

3 Likes

Hello friends :smiley:

With the Vassa (Rains Retreat) coming up and after 3 months of regular sessions, Bhante @sujato and I have decided to wrap up the 717 Service. Tomorrow, Friday 3rd July is our last day.

We had a lot of appreciative support from many people here in Australia and overseas for the service, which helped them feel connected to a community and establish a a regular practice during a time of uncertainty.

Thanks to Damith from Dhammanet who allowed us to use his channel. Thanks to @Robbie for the beautiful chanting book. @mikenz66 I’ve asked Damith to create a playlist as you requested above.

A big Sadhu to everyone who tuned in for the sessions to chant the Dhamma and practice meditation.

As Ajahn Brahm would say: Carry on!

9 Likes

I have so appreciated these sessions.
Sadhu :pray: Sadhu :pray: Sadhu :pray:

Thanks for helping establish a middle of the day practice, so will try hard. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you, Bhante, it has been a privilege to chant with you. I will try to be at the final session!
:pray:

7 Likes