The Aspect of No-Change

The aspect of no-change. Maybe you might be interested in this? It does not let me go.

I think it can also be refered to as: the signless, desireless and emptiness.

Patisambhida magga (Psm) and sutta’s talk about this (MN43&44).
Psm also relates this to anicca, dukkha and anatta. It says that persons have a certain main focus. Some info from Psm:

• It is said that persons with a relative strong power of faith and energy take the anicca characteristic naturally as there main focus. It is said they see the sign correctly. And they abandon doubt. Consciousness enters the signless.

• Persons with a relative strong ability to calm and concentration take dukkha as their main focus. They see phenomena in the correct way. They abandon doubts and their consciousness enters the desireless.

• Persons with a relative strong power of wisdom take anatta as their main focus. In Psm this is the same as taking sunnata as main focus. The focus on voidness and not-self are the same. By doing so they see the sign and phenomena correct. They abandon doubt. Consciousness enters emptiness (or voidness).

In this context Psm also speaks of the three gates to liberation. By entering one of the gates one arrives in the same domain which is the signless, voidness and desireless (sometimes also translates as ‘uninclined’).

I think this signless, emptiness and desireless dimension is not absent in our lives. I think it refers to the aspect of no-change we experience in our lives. Is this a delusion? Let’s keep investigating and not judging.

Not seeing any signs one enters more and more into the signless. Seeing any phenomena as dukkha one abandons desire, even for pleasant states, and enters the desireless. Seeing no signs and seeing phenoman correct, one enters emptiness.

I think it all refers to the same. I think one not really enters a new domain because it is always present. I is more like one becomes more deeply grounded when one enters more and more the desireless, emptiness and signless. Mind becomes more and more equanimous.

I do not think that no-change is an illusion. If it would there would be no escape. There would be not a truthful ground for stability. Stability would be ultimate delusion if their is only change.
I also do not think the signless, emptiness and desireless is the self, but more like an original state of mind, or our ancestral domain, before longing arose.

When I practise mindfulness, I have the sense of something unchanging as the observer. Perhaps this is an aspect of mind, or a stable mode of awareness?
Other than that, I assume it’s mainly the function of memory that provides the sense of “me” as an unchanging entity. Like when you wake from a deep sleep, and there is a brief period of dislocation before the memories flood back in to reestablish identity.

Hi @Martin ,

Me, as an unchanging entity, is not what i belief in. But what is it that gives you stability? Why are you not all over the place when all about you is changing? How can you live a stable life when you are not any moment stable? Why are you not really unstable because you are not right? If you would really be unstable, then you would be a madman. And how can you arrive at peace when there is no stable base?

The Aspect of no No-Change lies, i belief, not in a unchanging I or me or self. But there is the aspect of no-change. Where does the Buddha say this is delusional?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by “Aspect of No-change”? What do you think it is, practically speaking? What is it an aspect of? And is it something which is described in the suttas?

Thanks Martin.

Sure, the body becomes old, change. Views on life change, self-views might change. How you perceive others might change, memories change too. Plans and intention change. Perceptions change. During a day moods change. Habits can change. Personallity can change. Opinions can change. Feelings change.

Oke, and…? Does there not stay something the same everyday? I say “Yes”. That i refer to as the Aspect of No-Change.

But what is that does not change? One can give it words like the signless, the emptiness element, the silence inside, the inner peace, the desireles. Or, that, while wake, one does not see coming and going?

If you try to answer this from your own experience, do you experience and really see that everything changes or is there something stable, an Aspect of No-Change?

I experience a great stillness beneath the movement of the mind, and it seems related to the practice of mindfulness. I’m not sure how to categorise it in terms of what the suttas describe.

Thanks @Martin

Some thoughts on this:

DN34 says:

What two things should be directly known?
Two elements: the conditioned element and the unconditioned element.

What does this mean? Knowing the unconditioned element? Can, for example, only an arhant know the unconditioned element, or also a sotapanna, or, also even a worldling?

AN3.47 says:

“Mendicants, conditioned phenomena have these three characteristics.
What three?
Arising is evident, vanishing is evident, and change while persisting is evident.
These are the three characteristics of conditioned phenomena.”

Characteristics of the Unconditioned
“Unconditioned phenomena have these three characteristics.
What three?
No arising is evident, no vanishing is evident, and no change while persisting is evident.
These are the three characteristics of unconditioned phenomena.”

The arising of odours, tastes, visuals, sounds, tactile sensations, ideas, thoughts, memories, habits, ego, emotions, feelings, plans, intentions, etc s are evident during a day. Because this is not always manifest. It’s arising can be seen, established and also its ending.
But is the arising of this inner emptiness, spaceousness, silence, peace evident? Is it’s vanishing evident? It’s change while you are awake? It seems different.

Is it possible that the Aspect of No-Change is in fact the notion of the unconditoned element in Ourselves which is described in texts also with words like the signless, emptiness, desireless?

Why is that while body and mind change during a day, and would not be a moment the same, i notice no change at all in myself? One can judge this is my delusion, my wrong view, but where does the Buddha say this? I feel he says: would we not notice any no-change than there would be no refuge, no escape for us (udana 8.3).

What are your/others thoughts on this?

To me the most striking sutta to answer this question is MN121.
We view a monastic going out of the village into the wilderness, abandoning the direct experience of the village. The perception of village (lingering thoughts) is also abandoned, focus is on the wilderness. From here on we see a number of steps, each abandoning current “disturbance” and then the perception of the disturbance. The final step abandoning “disturbances” is what Ven. Sujato named signless immersion of the heart in this sutta.

Without going in detail, this experience is experienced as either emptiness, signless, or undirected.
The mind reaches the “unconditioned”.

Would a person who experienced this claim there is “something” which is beyond change?
I consider that the person could make such a claim, since the experience is identical (beyond initial impression) for those who reach it.
On the other side there is the knowledge, also explained in MN121, that the experience is fabricated, created, based on intention. There was a deliberate action before reaching this point, leading to this point. So even though the experience itself might be experienced as unconditioned, the existence is not beyond condition.

This enables a series of interesting experiences.
The first one being that when dropping out of the experience the mental, bodily and verbal processes become apparent again. These are beyond doubt seen as disturbances against the signless experience.
Once emerged the thought rises: this cannot last. It’s beyond doubt that even though the experience contains no point of stress it cannot last. And that knowledge itself becomes a point of stress (yearning).
When not seen as is, the person will attempt to achieve this state again. When seen as is (intended, fabricated) stress will end right there. But whatever is subject to change will also remain.

This leads to an interesting conclusion: while there is an experience possible where the mind experiences the unconditioned - unchangeable, this experience itself will lead to full understanding of the conditioned, being everything experienced. In the words of SN35.28:

All is burning

The problem is not what’s out there or in there, being sensory impressions, mental impressions, meditative impressions or even the experience of the unconditioned.
The problem is that based on these experiences yearning arises: the desire that somethings comes to be, remains or ceases to be. The experience of the unconditioned and yearning afterwards is beyond doubt: the mind itself creates this yearning, by making this unconditioned an object/subject of desire. It’s the greatest possible perversion, and it’s known.

There is something stable - the unconditioned - and when not seen as-is it’s the greatest source of stress possible.
In more detail:

1. We practice and achieve the unconditioned for the first time: happiness rises
  2. We make an effort again and do not achieve the unconditioned: we become upset
  3. We make an effort again, achieve the unconditioned and it sustains for a while: happiness remains
  4. We made the effort, the unconditioned sustained until the sustaining conditions are exhausted and we drop out: we become upset.

After the first experience it’s either moving between 2 and 3/4, or seeing this happening and dispassion arises. This is how dispassion towards the unconditioned comes to be, and with that dispassion the defilements can no longer sustain.

Don’t be fooled however to give up the search for the unconditioned because of this.
The ending of defilements is dependent as well, going all the way from ignorance to freedom, leading to the ending of defilements (SN12.23).

This is my understanding.

By analogy. When you remove all sound silence remains.
Once you experienced silence, you know it’s distinct from sound. Silence does not arise, does not vanish and does not change while persisting. Silence is silence and can only be experienced as silence.
Experiencing silence however gives us understanding about sound as well. We come to understand how it rises, sustains and fades.

As for the practice: try to figure out how you can experience silence by making sound. If that seems impossible, you are making the wrong effort. If you don’t believe me: ask a parent trying to calm a crying baby. First you make the right sounds to remove unwanted sounds, and only when you’ve used all options and removed (harsh) sounds you can allow the little remaining sound to disappear as well. You have to use what’s conditioned, subject to change, to experience the unconditioned.

1 Like

It might be useful to explore what the unconditioned element looks like, practically speaking. Presumably it’s not an aspect of mind, given that the mind is continually changing?

@Jos , @Martin

“There is, mendicants, an unborn, unproduced, unmade, and unconditioned. If there were no unborn, unproduced, unmade, and unconditioned, then you would find no escape here from the born, produced, made, and conditioned.
But since there is an unborn, unproduced, unmade, and unconditioned, an escape is found from the born, produced, made, and conditioned.”(Udana 8.3)

How did the Buddha understand this? What does it express?

@Jos refers to produced states. This, i belief cannot be meant, not even the most subtlest. Because they are produced, and the above is refered to as unproduced.

I do not think the uncondioned is sustained by conditions. That would not be logic. Why would one call that the unconditioned? Anything sustained by conditions is conditioned.

I agree with you that we must look at craving which lies at the basis of the searching mind who sees some escape of suffering in the conditioned domain.

But i do not know of a asankhata raga. Surely one can develop longing based on jhana (this is called rupa and arupa raga. An anagami still has, an arahant has not) but also based on the asankhata element?

About emptiness. I belief Maha Boowa, a Thai Forest Master says interesting things about this , from his own experience. I will say it in my own words: One can enter a stillness, and be witness of a total emptiness. Maha Bowaa compares this with someone who has entered a great empty room. Seeing around he/she sees only emptiness…BUT…the room is not really empty because the witness of that emptiness is still in there. So this must not be mistaken as real knowledge of emptiness or the uncondioned or truth.

Maha Boowa taught that this witnessing awareness is the effect of avijja on the mind. That it brings forth this subjective perspective in the mind. This is all delusional mind yet. It is all still within samsara.
But there can come a moment (and for Maha Boowa it was unexpacted) that this personal perspective of witnessing a total empitness falls from the mind, and then, and only then…one sees directly the unborn, the unproduced, unconditioned.

He talked about this as a knowing essence. Not as a vinnana but as Citta. One cannot see this from and in a personal perspective. Mental consciousness does and cannot see it. I think it means: One cannot be a personal wittness of the unconditioned element. One has to become it, as it were.

SN43.12

And what is the unconditioned?
The ending of greed, hate, and delusion.
This is called the unconditioned.

I’ve used the example of the signless immersion (experience) since that’s a state of awareness where greed, hate and delusion cannot be present. Hence unconditioned.
Yet since this state is depending on the effort of the meditator, the “problem” is not with the state, but with the meditator who is not free from defilements.

I’m familiar with Ajahn Maha Boowa’s teachings, and I’d like to point out the key realisation he had:
He was protective of the (mental) state he experienced. If it’s unconditioned you can hit it, try to malformed it, and it won’t work. There is no need to be protective of the unconditioned.
In an essence I think I said the same thing:

The problem is that based on these experiences yearning arises: the desire that somethings comes to be, remains or ceases to be. The experience of the unconditioned and yearning afterwards is beyond doubt: the mind itself creates this yearning, by making this unconditioned an object/subject of desire. It’s the greatest possible perversion, and it’s known.
This realisation made him examine the state itself, leading to a new experience.

I have no issue with this experience, I consider Ajahn Maha Boowa is genuine in his expression of it.
What I realised early when reading the books written by him is that I cannot see them without cultural context, with the problem of translation on top of it. I know some of the writings on Ajahn Mun (the “deva stories”, even more the encounter with past Buddha’s) are controversial, but these are more understandable from a (northern) Thai perspective. To me parts of Ajahn Mun persuading villagers to abandon ancestor worshipping and convincing them in meditative practice is relatable, I’ve witnessed this ancestor worship myself in modern (rural) Thailand.

We need to take great care when trying to interpret Ajahn Maha Boowa’s teachings. His teachings on citta are intriguing, yet one has to understand by own practice what he refers to, and agree what the experience of citta that he refers to is the same as the experience of citta of oneself.
From my rather limited understanding what Ven. Boowa had been doing is continuous meditation, being either active contemplation or resting the mind. This is not unheard of, for us lay people there is less opportunity due to frequent engagement with other people, which makes active body contemplation or resting the mind in deep meditative states somewhat harder.
Due to the continuous meditative state many impressions are identified for what they are, and with that “removed” from the mind. First by seclusion, later by dispassion (to stick close to the suttas).
This leaves a mental state where all which is “outside” is investigated and abandoned, and the undisturbed mind is what remains.

Now I’m going to take a small detour, just to ensure we understand each other.
You - relaying Ven. Boowa - speak of a “knowing” essence.
There is a mental state, we can call it signless, where nothing but awareness remains. It’s the awareness which is not influenced by anything else. The reason it’s known as signless is because it does not sustain, when emerging from it a small ripple (as on a still pond) is experienced. The difference between the experience with and without ripple is conclusive, and the mind drops into “silence” again.
Later, when the mind withdraws further, sensory impressions return. A sound might be distinguished, the breathing or heartbeat is present. Yet the “mental commentary” labeling these experiences is not present. There is no verbal knowledge of these events. This will return even later.

The problem here is that you appear to take this knowing essence as something distinct from the aggregates. I understand where this comes from, because that’s how Ven. Boowa described it, or at least you interpreted it that way. I really encourage you to do the actual practice leading up to this point and verify if Ven. Boowa is correct on this. You might object that what Ven. Boowa did is not achievable by us lay people (we can’t be arahants…) but when you state this you have to accept that you can follow Ven. Boowa only up to the point you practiced. All beyond is hearsay.

My main issue with your statement is on this: Mental consciousness does and cannot see it.
There you have to take great care in determining what “mental consciousness” is.
The verbal part cannot touch it, sure. The sensory impressions are unrelated: sure.
Yet the moment we get from the “drop into the experience” to the ripple there is no perception nor feeling. The ripple is where perception becomes present, it’s experienced as a disturbance and fades away right at that spot. But does that mean there is no perception?

Again, the sutta’s are clear. The unconditioned is where greed, aversion and ignorance/delusion are no longer present. And I consider that Ven. Boowa sincerely tried to describe just this.
Let me put this in a slightly different way, as I understand it from his writings. The moment he realised what was going on he started to investigate the experience itself, and with that purged the mind (citta) from whatever was in it (being the pre-occupation with the experience). This is similar to hearing a thief in your home, flipping the light on and starting to pursue the thief, driving him out of your home.
The source of discomfort is experienced, identified and purged. What remains is that whatever is experienced is experienced without the defilements.
So we might state that Ven. Boowa experienced the citta without defilements from that moment onward, which is a different experience than before.
The remaining issue I have with Ven. Boowa is that in his way of describing - and I don’t think it’s related to translation, or only partly - is that he positions this citta as something which continues.
I consider that this might be influenced by Mahayana traces, or as a counter to the also present notion in (Birmese) Buddhism that all there is are mental notions (hope I present this correct, I’m not that familiar with Birmese Buddhism) - I consider that Ven. Boowa was aware of the Birmese teachings as well.

I think it means: One cannot be a personal wittness of the unconditioned element. One has to become it, as it were

On the first part I agree. The notion of witness is gone with the unconditioned (signless) element.
But to state one has to become it, as it were, is making it personal once more. There is the experience.[period]
Any attempt to make it personal is known to be ridiculous, yet out of habit the mind might attempt to do just this. This is what Ven. Boowa discovered as well. He purged that [I take his account as factual, it was not disputed considering such a claim would lead to expulsion from the monastic order if found untrue].
But we should be very wary to read things into it which Ven. Boowa did not say, or to close our eyes to the cultural and related linguistic influences of the larger Thai Isaan region (and Chiang Mai), as well as potential translation problems.

@Jos ,

All good points Jos. But what do you think of Udana 8.3? It speaks of something which is unmade, unproduced, unconditioned…etc. States are produced, rely on conditions, so is that meant?
You seem to speak (below) about the unconditioned as something which relies on conditions?

Why call something which is sustained by conditions ‘the unconditioned’.

Regarding the lust for Nibbana. I think you have a point because i remember MN1 which says:

"They perceive extinguishment as extinguishment. Nibbānaṁ nibbānato sañjānāti;
But then they identify with extinguishment, they identify regarding extinguishment, they identify as extinguishment, they identify that ‘extinguishment is mine’, they take pleasure in extinguishment.
Why is that? Because they haven’t completely understood it, I say"

Taking pleasure in Nibbana may possibily seen as some kind of raga? But i have never seen in the texts mention this as a defilement, a Nibbana-raga, which must be overcome.

I also doubt this

Is it really happiness arising?

Furthermore, i do not wish to speculate about this a lot because this is beyond my capacity and knowledge. I have still some doubts about explanations of Maha Boowa too. But maybe if i would have those same experiences those doubts would disappear.

Yes this is also given many names in SN43: "Bhikkhus, I will teach you the taintless and the path leading to the taintless. Listen to that… "Bhikkhus, I will teach you the truth and the path leading to the truth… … I will teach you the far shore . … the subtle . … the very difficult to see … . the unaging … . the stable .,. the undisintegrating . . . the unnanifest … . the unproliferated. … the peaceful . . . the deathless … the sublime … the auspicious … the secure . . … the destruction of craving . . . the wonderful… . the amazing … the unailing … the unailing state … Nibbana… . the unafflicted … dispassion … purity … freedom… the unadhesive … the island … the shelter … the asylum … the refuge . .(SN43.14-43, translation Bodhi)

Why would these names be given if Nibbana, the unconditioned, would be a certain state of mind, i.e. a mind free of lobha, dosa and moha, temporary existing, subjective of ceasing?
Nibbana is described as what stays absent in mind-processes (anusuya, tanha, kilesa, asava) but at the same time all kinds of names are used which are not appropriate to describe mind.

I consider AN10.6 and AN10.7 interesting for this question, since it’s one of the places which describes the experience. The first describes the peace in/of that mental state - cessation/nibbana, the other more explicit how the end of existence is nibbana.
Yet for both it’s clear that the reference is to a meditative state, not something else.
This means that the unconditioned, nibbana, can be experienced within a conditioned (meditative) state.

On a side note:
I had to consider the translation of AN10.7 regarding Bhavanirodho nibbānaṁ.
Ven. Sujato decided to translate with “The cessation of continued existence is extinguishment”, where the continued is potentially confusing.
To elaborate: the meditative states (except the neither/nor and cessation) are all states which can be discerned by what is present. It is by not sustaining what is present that one state transitions into the next, with the ending of one state the next emerges.
Skipping over the neither/nor (which has no discerned focal point, but a mental notion of peace due to lack of focal point [perception/feeling] as theme) the mind arrives at a point where all that was before is no longer present. The mental experience of existence (bhava) ended, right at this point there is no becoming. And that lack of becoming (the stilling of all activities) is known to be peaceful, as is the ending of the last (peaceful) notion.

I read Ven. Sujato’s translation as: when sustaining factors are no longer present - leading to promotion or continuation, cessation follows [due to lack of sustaining] leading to extinguishing [what was present no longer is]. Continued existence here should not be viewed as beyond this life - as far as I’m concerned - but as something which is actively being sustained. There is time and place to do so (we need to eat, and thoughts should be allowed as well), yet we should be aware of sustaining. The reason is that when we make an effort to sustain what cannot sustain, or to end what cannot end (yet) or are unaware of the effects of sustaining or diminishing efforts, we will encounter stress.

We can direct this to the aggregates, since we can promote, sustain and end these.
Body: food, little more to say
Feelings: we can make an effort to promote and sustain pleasant feelings (with skill: jhana), we can make an effort to end unpleasant feelings (with skill: yearning for nibbana) and to know neutral feelings (for example: fourth jhana) and how they develop into something else when not sustained.
Perceptions: we can promote (use) the perception of ugliness to counter (end) sexual feelings, and impermanence, stress based on impermanence and not-self of stress (all perceptions) to end stress.
Formations/choices: the things we do/incline to do to promote body/feelings/perceptions, again we can influence these
Consciousness: Here I’d like to point to MN43, where we find that wisdom/knowledge (panna) is directly associated with consciousness (viññāṇa). The difference that one should be developed, the other understood (as impermanent, stressful due to impermanence, not-self due to stress).
Furthermore we find in SN12.61 that viññāṇa, citta and mano are considered equal. SN12.61 and MN43 share the same notion: consciousness/mind (viññāṇa, citta, mano) is subject to change.
We thus have mind/consciousness subject to change, yet able to experience what is not subject to change. Also note the parallel between SN12.61 (monkey) and AN10.7 (flame), both indicating the changing nature of mind/consciousness. MN43 (and MN44) explains how the experience of nibbana (in the meditative state) is promoted, sustained and ended.

What’s described is not mind, but the experience by mind in various words.
This experience is not lasting, which is not to blame what is experienced, but the changing nature of the aggregates.

Why is it called the unconditioned?
When the aggregates are fully understood (their changing nature, the stress resulting from it, the not-self of stress) these can no longer “condition” whatever is experienced.
This is already learned in (jhana) meditation, where we learn to experience pleasure by giving up (instead of possessing), we learn to yearn for liberation (instead of not wanting to experience), and when both are developed well and pleasure and yearning fade we experience equanimity (fourth jhana in meditation).
When you experience whatever is present, as it is present, that’s not conditioned by wanting, rejecting or ignorance. And since we are not promoting, sustaining and ending beyond what’s reasonable (we have to eat, we have to think, we cannot avoid perception, mind will be ever changing) stress cannot rise.

This is my answer to Why call something which is sustained by conditions ‘the unconditioned’?

Hi @Jos , Thanks for your interesting feedback. I feel a bit stuck in some interpretations and i notice that this makes it hard for me to really consider your line of thoughts. Sorry for that, but i do my best. It is a ongoing process.

AN10.7 what perceptions?

I feel AN10.7 is very strange, because what does Sariputta perceive in that state where there are not four elements, not this world nor another world, not the base of the arupa jhana’s? He says…one perception arose another ceased like flames in a fire. But how en what perceptions must that be? To me this seems impossible. It cannot be just sense-impressions, right? What do you think he perceived?

Transition

I personally think there might be some special transition from the sphere of ‘perception nor no-perception’ to cessation (which Maha Boowa seems to suggest). And that might be the reason why Buddha’s teacher did not find this yet?

I think it’s the moment mental consciousness also ceases and one perceives with the unborn Citta. This is not personal, it is beyond samsara, it is beyond individuality, because here all five khandha’s have ceased, also all six kinds of vinnana’s. If vinnana would not cease, i think that is no cessation. So, i belief, at the moment of cessation one directly perceives the deathless or unconditioned element, but not with any kind of vinnana, but the unconditioned element shows to be itself luminous and that luminousity, that light, is a kind of intelligence, knowing.
This cessation of all five khandha’s is at that time perceived as: ‘This is peaceful; this is sublime—that is, the stilling of all activities, the letting go of all attachments, the ending of craving, fading away, cessation, extinguishment.’(AN10.6)

That moment, i think, it is also becomes beyond doubt one is not the khandha’s. “This is not me, not mine, not myself” regarding rupa, vedana, sanna, sankhara and vinnana is at time no more a contemplation but seen directly, beyond doubt. It is not a person who sees this, no atta.

I do not belief Nibbana can be a object for vinnana to know, like a visual object, olfactory object, tactile object, idea, memory. Nibbana is not a mental object for the mental vinnana. How do you see this?
I think, all vinnana’s must end and at that moment Nibbana reveals itself, as it were because there is nothing to graps, anything is stilled, there is a total detachment.

But then anicca, dukkha and anatta conditions the way you experience things and not anymore nicca, sukha and atta? Or not?

A last remark: i think the simile of purification might also explain why Buddha talked about the unmade, unbecome, unproduced, unconditioned. Because we can remove defilements from mind, but the result, pure mind we do not really invent, produce, make. It is like passion and dispassion. When passion disappears, the mind is just in a very natural uncontrived effortless way dispassionate. We do not create that, make, produce that dispassion. It is just the natural qualitiy of mind without tanha’s, asava’s and anusay’s.
Likewise, Nibbana is not made, produced, nor a result of conditioning. It is unmade, unbecome, and not an end result of conditioning. It is not shaped due to our efforts.

The Buddha teaches in AN that conditioned phenomena are impermanent, unstable and unreliable.
For me the Aspect of No-Change refers to the stable and reliable. If there would not be the stable, reliable then there is no escape (Udana).

Sure, the unconditioned is permanent, stable and unchanging.
But what do you think the unconditioned actually is, practically speaking?
Is it a radically different state of mind, is it a reality we connect with, or what exactly?

You will know better than me, but the ‘unconditioned’ is only talked of in relationship to the ‘conditioned’ in the Udana isn’t it? Without the conditioned, the unconditioned doesn’t make any sense does it? It is only ‘stable and reliable’ in that there is no arising at all and so there is no arising of suffering?

Wow…now I shall speak :blush:

I feel like Maha Boowa might have seen it. But i am not sure. I my own words how i understand his teaching: He describes how avijja constructs the duality of the knower and the known in the mind. It fundamentally defiles the mind and distorts perception this way.

This is, as it were, the normal state of mind which is dominated by the usual perception: "I see, I hear, I feel, i think, i smell, I taste, i have memories, I know etc. There is a sense of a knower who knows.

He says; when avijja totally disappears from mind, what rests is only the knowing nature. What disappears is the duality knower and known. And he refers to this as real purity and names this the Citta, not a Vinnana. I think he also teaches this Citta is not anicca, dukkha and anatta.

Awakening, arahattamagga, is like directly seeing that the knowing nature of the mind is not a person or subject . It is not really a knower who knows. One sees, at that moment, that it has never been an I who knows and will never be so. Only avijja led one to belief this. In other words, avijja colours the knowing nature of the mind in an very personal way. That is what all defilements do but avijja in the most fundamental way.

In a practical sense, when one has overcome avijja, i think, ones mind is just like a mirror. It only reflects. It has no likes and dislikes and no grasping at reflections, but it sees clearly. Without tanha and upadana, this mirror-like mind, is pure and stable.

I belief we can connect to this because i think avijja is also not always present but also arising. There are times, i belief, that even for a wordling, the mind can function like a mirror. Only seeing, only hearing etc.

It makes, at this moment, the most sense to me that the unborn, unmade, unbecome, unconditioned (udana 8.3), are not designations for something eternal, (not sure) but they want to express that the pure mind is not born out of our effort, made by our effort, has become because of our effort, is conditioned by our efforts. We do not really make the pure mind. We can only remove defilements and the natural result of that is pure mind.

Hi @stu

For me the Buddha shows with this conditioned and unconditioned the limits of conditioning and development. We can do our best to develop metta or a perception of anicca, dukkha and anatta, develop faith etc. but because this is all within the domain of the conditioned, also the results remains unstable, unreliable. It is like building something. You can build something but it will decay too. One day it will be gone. “Whatever is subject to arising is also subject to ceasing”.

So how can there be an end to samsara when we are only oriented at making, becoming, developing, conditioning?

For me, this is impossibe. The unconditioned refers, i belief, to what we do not develop, what we do not make, what is not a result of our effort and conditioning but something we have to see or discover.