The Central Philosophy of Jainism and the Buddha's Reply

I’ve just been recommended this book, which I recommend for those interested in Jainism. I was particularly struck by this chapter

Central Philosophy of Jainism (Anekatva Vada) Bimala Krishna Matilal L.D. Institute of Indology.pdf (archive.org)

Its interesting to look at the two systems of thought, Buddhism and Jainism. For Jainism there are the eternal substances. A world of permanence and no-change. These substances though undergo modifications, and so there is also a world of changing experiences or qualities. For the Buddha there is a world of changing qualities, and a conventional world of substances. The Buddha then turned the Jain view on its head by putting our changing and fleeting experiences first and reducing substances to mere concepts. We can see this in a more developed form in the Abhidhamma. For there the earth element, as an example, is nothing but the quality of “hardness”. The commentarial tradition makes it clear that there is no earth substance, and so apart from the phenomenal experience of “hardness” no earth element can be found. Substances, in the Abhidhamma, are mentally constructed from experience. They are superimposed on experience. This undermines the Jainist view.

4 Likes

If I understand them correctly, I believe that the Sarvāstivāda position is that dharmas (which are seen as real existents and exist in the three times) undergo change, but the svabhāva of dharma is such that despite changes there is continuity of the same kind of thing. This is how they square impermanence with the theory of indestructible dharmas existing in past, present, and future. While they fluctuate and continue in a stream of moments, the essential nature or fundamental quality of the dharma remains. The arising of conditioned, temporary experiences is making contact with these dharmas, and Sarvāstivādins taught perceptual realism, i.e. that ontologically real dharmas are the direct object of consciousness. This occurs when “connecting” dharmas, for common terminology, basically link up cittas and caitasikas. And the dharmas do not ‘connect’ and form a momentary conscious experience if there is the arising of a ‘disconnecting’ dharma, which like a dam that blocks water, blocks the existent dharmas from connecting into a temporary experience.

At least this is my minimal understanding at the time of one major position in their Abhidharma about it. If someone knows better, please inform me! I’ve yet to study this in detail.

It may be slightly different from the Jain view, I’m not too sure. But in actual practice it seems to me about the same.

1 Like

The eternal dharmas don’t change. What we experience as change are their effects. The Dravyasat dharmas stay as they are, forever. They reached this conclusion not only due to questions regarding kamma, or cognition and the past (if we can recall the past, it must exist in order for it to be cognised) but also because the dhammas always have the same nature. Pain for example is always painful, and so its nature is always the same. From this they moved to “it always persists through time.” Awakening then for Sarvāstivāda was a process of “decoupling” from these eternal dharmas.

1 Like

Right, but it seems that they claimed that the ‘drvyasat’ dhammas do change. When you say that ‘pain is always the same,’ that’s what I was describing as the svabhāva remaining the same despite the specific moment being different. So there is both continuity of the same type of thing which cannot turn into another (due to the dharma’s svabhāva), but also a flux. One source is page 137 of Ven. Dhammajoti’s 2009 book. I think I’m summarizing what I read off of a Wikipedia summary, though. I very likely misunderstand their idea.

From the Abhidharma Mahāvibhāṣa Śāstra

The Venerable Dharmatrāta says that there is change in mode of being (bhāva- anyathātva). The Venerable Ghoṣaka says that there is change in characteristic (lakṣaṇa-anyathātva). The Venerable Vasumitra says that there is change in state (avasthā-anyathātva). The Venerable Buddhadeva says that there is change in [temporal] relativity (anyathā-anyathātva).

[1] The advocate of “change in mode of being” asserts that when dharmas operate (pra-√vṛt) in time, they change on account of their modes of existence/being (bhāva); there is no change in substance. This is like the case of breaking up a golden vessel to produce another thing—there is just a change in shape, not in varṇa- rūpa. It is also like milk, etc., turning into curds, etc.—just the taste, digestibility, etc., are given up, not the varṇa-rūpa. Similarly, when dharmas enter into the present from the future, although they give up their future mode of existence and acquire their present mode of existence, they neither lose nor acquire their substantial essence (AKB: dravya-bhāva). Likewise, when they enter the past from the present, although they give up the present mode of existence and acquire the past mode of existence, they neither give up nor acquire their substantial nature.

[2] The advocate of “change in characteristic” asserts that when dharmas operate in time, they change on account of characteristic (lakṣaṇa); there is no change in substance. A dharma in each of the temporal periods has three temporal characteristics; when one [temporal] characteristic is conjoined, the other two are not severed. This is like the case of a man being attached to one particular woman— he is not said to be detached from other women. Similarly, when dharmas abide in the past, they are being conjoined with the past characteristic but are not said to be severed from the characteristics of the other two temporal characteristics. When they abide in the future, they are being conjoined with the future characteristic but are not said to be severed from the characteristics of the other two temporal characteristics. When they abide in the present, they are being conjoined with the present characteristic, but are not said to be severed from the characteristics of the other two temporal characteristics.

[3] The advocate of “change in state” asserts that when dharmas operate in time, they change on account of state (avasthā); there is no change in substance. This is like the case of moving a token [into different positions]. When placed in the position (avasthā) of ones, it is signified as one; placed in the position of tens, ten; placed in the position of hundreds, hundred. While there is change in the positions into which it is moved, there is no change in its substance. Similarly, when dharmas pass through the three temporal states, although they acquire three different names, they do not change in substance. In the theory proposed by this master, there is no confusion as regards substance, for the three periods are differentiated on the basis of activity (kāritra).

[4] The advocate of “change in [temporal] relativity” asserts that when dharmas operate in time, they are predicated differently [as future, present, or past], relative to that which precedes and that which follows (cf. AKB: pūrvāparam apekṣyānyo’nya ucyate avasthāntarato na dravyāntarataḥ); there is no change in substance. This is like the case of one and the same woman who is called “daughter” relative to her mother, and “mother” relative to her daughter. Similarly, dharmas are called “past” relative to the succeeding ones, “future” relative to the preceding ones, “present” relative to both.

Out of these Ven. Vasumitra’s explanation was generally favoured. Notice that in all of these, the substance is never lost. What is interesting though to note is that whilst they declared the dharmas to be substantially existent (Dravyasat) they also denied any substance/quality distinction. As with Theravāda they say that apart from the quality, there is no dharma.

As the MVŚ explains, this is on account of the fact that “the entity itself is [its] characteristic, and the characteristic is the entity itself; for it is the case for all dharma‑s that the characteristic cannot be predicated apart from the dharma itself.”17 This is no doubt quite in keeping with the fundamental Buddhist stance which consistently rejects any substance-attribute dichotomy. By accounting for the svalakṣaṇa of a dharma — its phenomenologically cognizable aspect — its very ontological existence as a svabhāva/dravya is established. Ultimately these two are one

Dharmajoti’s “Sarvāstivāda Abhidharma”

Still, they way they framed things they still turned the dharmas into substances much like we see in Jainism or Vaiśeṣika, just without the object/attribute relationship.

2 Likes

Well in any substance based metaphysics you will find these kinds of contradictions regarding continuity and change.

2 Likes

What I’m unsure about is did they believe in a plurality of each eternal dharma? I.e. is there only one of any given dharma, or several, a limited number? Are new dharmas produced, or is it always a matter of the same dharmas operating differently?

AFAIK Jainism is explicitly pluralistic.

Only one of each, as far as I’m aware. Since they can never gain or lose their sabhāva, they can never arise nor cease to exist.

AFAIK Jainism is explicitly pluralistic.

Mahavira would likely says “It is and is not”, being how he answered all such questions.

So what about two people, for instance. Each has individual rūpa, citta, caitasika, etc. separate from the other. Are we to think, according to Sabbatthivāda, that these are just two simultaneous effects from the same dharma? What individuates them? (Genuine question to see if someone knows how they framed this).

In what sense is it not?

A bit above my paygrade I’m afraid.

In what sense is it not?

I don’t have an exact example, but I think he would answer along these lines