The Corona Virus, COVID-19

Recovery of coronavirus epicenter, China’s Wuhan gives hope to rest of world: WHO

No new cases in Wuhan ‘gives the rest of the world hope’, says World Health Organization

World gets hope as as China’s Wuhan reports no new coronavirus cases: WHO

:anjal:

2 Likes

A msg from Ajahn Jayasaro

12 Likes

I’d like to pay tribute to many temporary inconsolable caregivers worldwide. Let’s care for them in return by sending them lots of metta :sunny:

8 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing that. I hope Venerable Jayasaro is doing well.

1 Like

Wise reflection by the Ven. Amaro :pray::

5 Likes

OVER 100,000 PEOPLE HAVE RECOVERED FROM CORONAVIRUS AROUND THE WORLD
https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-recoveries-recovered-covid-19-china-italy-us-death-toll-johns-hopkins-1493723

VIRUS HOPE
More than 100,000 coronavirus sufferers around the world have recovered from the deadly bug

3 Likes

World’s fastest supercomputer identifies coronavirus drug candidates

IBM AC922 Summit, the first supercomputer capable of reaching a quintillion operations per second, has identified 77 compounds with the potential to be used to fight the coronavirus responsible for the ongoing pandemic.

2 Likes

AN 5.78: Anagata-bhayani Sutta — The Discourse on Future Dangers (2)

This sutta advises reflecting on the dangers of aging, illness, famine, social unrest, and a split in the Saáč…gha as a goad to practice.

3 Likes

I found the following article by Yuval Noah Harari to be interesting:

1 Like

China to end lockdown of coronavirus-hit Hubei province; Wuhan to open next month
https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-end-lockdown-coronavirus-hubei-wuhan

China Set to End Wuhan Coronavirus Lockdown as Reported Cases Subside
https://time.com/5808736/china-ends-hubei-coronavirus-lockdown/

Hubei lockdown ends Wednesday, Wuhan on April 8
If there’s no second wave, that will give hope worldwide at a time when the EU and much of the US is in lockdown

Epidemics reported in Tipitaka

The story of five diseases

Now at that time five diseases were prevalent among the people of Magadha: leprosy, boils, eczema, consumption, epilepsy. People, afflicted with the five diseases, having approached Jīvaka Komārabhacca, spoke thus: “It were good, teacher, if you would attend us.”

“But I, masters, am very busy, there is much to be done, and King Seniya Bimbisāra of Magadha is to be looked after by me, also the women’s quarters and the Order of monks with the awakened one at its head. I am not able to attend you.”

“All this property shall become yours, teacher, and we will be your slaves. It were good, teacher, if you would attend us.”

“But I, masters, am very busy 
 I am not able to attend you.”

Then it occurred to these people: “These recluses, sons of the Sakyans, are of pleasant character, of pleasant conduct; having eaten good meals, they lie down, on beds sheltered from the wind. Suppose we were to go forth among the recluses, sons of the Sakyans? In that case monks would look after us and moreover Jīvaka Komārabhacca would attend us.” Then these people, having approached (some) monks, asked for the going forth. The monks let them go forth, they ordained them. These monks looked after them and moreover Jīvaka Komārabhacca attended them.

Now at that time monks, looking after many ill monks, lived intent on asking, intent on hinting, saying: “Give food for the sick, give food for those who look after the sick, give medicines for the sick.” And JÄ«vaka Komārabhacca, attending many ill monks, omitted some of his duties towards the king
 (Mahākhandhaka)

1 Like

It seems epidermic not include epilepsy and eczema , not spreadable diseases !

1 Like

Yes, I didn’t specify.
Just qouted the text.

1 Like

As the text mention that the five diseases were prevalent for a certain period and these arose suddenly to get assistant from JÄ«vaka these two diseases can also be contagious. We never know the diseases here are the same with the ones that we know of.

There are eczema-like contagious skin conditions. a list of contagious skin conditions

There are some special causes of the stroke , mainly infectious , although some of them are non- infectious . The most important etiologies are malaria, tuberculosis, cysticercosis, syphilis, and Chagas’ disease (Infective Causes of Stroke in Tropical Regions)

There has been strong evidence for infectious conditions, such as endocarditis, and pathogens, such as varicella zoster in stroke causation, and more supportive evidence is surfacing in recent years of several organisms increasing the stroke risk or being directly causal in stroke. The evidence also seems to be pointing to the role of inflammation in increasing the risk of stroke via accelerated atherosclerosis, vasculitis and vasculopathy (Infectious causes of stroke)

1 Like

Buddhist Organizations in North America Offer Online Retreats and Programs in Response to Social Distancing

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/buddhist-organizations-in-north-america-offer-online-retreats-and-programs-in-response-to-social-distancing

2 Likes

13 Likes

Beautiful images from the Matterhorn in Switzerland tonight:

5 Likes

I thought I knew how to wash my hands
 seems I had more to learn!

1 Like

Given this topic has reached over 130 posts, it is being closed for further comments.

Please feel free to continue in the new link :pray:

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/continuing-the-corona-virus-topic-no-medical-advice-here-please/15619