The Dalai Lama sings mantras

I just discovered this pearl, so I share:

Hearing and reciting the mantra of the Buddha of Compassion opens our hearts and brings us closer to others, to feel love and compassion through wisdom, and generates a desire to help. It therefore naturally calms our anger, jealousy, depression, and other unhappy emotions that are the source of our own suffering and that separate us from others. - Robina Courtin

Lyrics: The Dalai Lama begins with a homage to The Buddha of Compassion, before reciting the mantra:
Om mani padme hum.

Thereā€™s more on the YouTube channel. Very calming! :slightly_smiling_face:

With mettā. :pray:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s lovely! Thank you for sharing.

4 Likes

Thank you sharing. It is beautiful.
This actually addresses a doubt I have been having, since I read that there are monastic rules against artistic shows. I will express my doubt here; however if this risks derailing the subject, please let me know and perhaps I can post it separately.
So how are the forbidden shows exactly defined? In this video there is music and singing. Are monastics allowed to listen to the music? Then in this case if music is acceptable, there is a lot of uplifting music in the West too, for example Bach. Are they allowed to listen to it (or even play and sing in it)?
Where do you draw the line? For example I heard that they are not allowed to watch movies but then I saw a video by a monastic in the Thich Nhat Hanh tradition discussing the movie A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

Only in the Theravada! Monastics from the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions donā€™t have these restrictions. They are even allowed to handle money! But if you wish to discuss this further, its better to open a new thread. :thinking:

1 Like