The Dalai Lama with Greta Thunberg on the climate crisis: an upcoming live event

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this article! I understand what you’r writing. Miriam was in her early twenties when she started living like this. She used to be a pole vaulter and after that, in NZ, a teacher. Peter was a professor in NZ. So true, they saved some money before leaving their jobs behind. All they were having for about 10 years, were their backpacks, an extra shirt, a small tent and dry food. The money they spent on food every year, was money they had invested in stead of spending it on rent, a mortgage, excessive clothes, food, cars, travels to Las Vegas etc. Miriam once in a while returned to a city to buy some essentials like flour and soap and as she was singing in front of the supermarket, she luckily enough earned some money with it. Isn’t that a brilliant way of earning a living? :grinning: The most luxurious thing they had, was fresh bread she was baking and a knife and a riffle, cause there’s no tofu or kale in the woods. Now true, she wrote a book and received some royalties. But that’s nothing compared to say the royalties of the books of Barack Obama :). Sure, not all people could live like them. But their ecological footprint was by far one of the smallest of all humans. What Miriam means, is that you can actually live with less. After all, once upon a time we all lived in the woods. Everyone on earth seemed to be capable of doing so. But, our ancestors wanted to have security of food and shelter. And then their kids wanted more, and more and more and more. It never stopped. Maybe it is stopping now because we reached a certain limit. Now, this couple is living in 2021 and most people in developed countries simply choose not to live like they are living - I guess that’s what Miriam is meaning - rather than not being able to do so. Cause you need courage to do so. And a good health, some very good skills and some saved money, that’s true.

Great things to show people they can do!

Royaltiy from sales of her books?

Good point! I’m sure she will write more books in the future. She could also lead survival retreats, etc. There are probably a lot of ways to monetize her knowledge and experience.

They now live in a small house in Golden Bay cause Peter needs weekly medical treatment. And she wrote a 2nd book. Miriam started to meditate because she experienced the unhealthy effects on her brains of a sedentary life, of working for hours on a laptop, with wi-fi. That’s what she said. And honestly, I can’t agree more with her. I as well meditate to get rid of the many side effects of modern life.

1 Like

I was wondering what their plan was for when their health started giving out, or I guess I should say “his heath” since he’s so much older than her. They’re lucky that they aren’t American, and so don’t have to worry about access to healthcare.

Sounds like a civilizational collapse kind of event