The drunk who became a sottāpana (SN55.24 / SN55.25)

I recently heard reference to a sutta in which a Bhikkhu, a sottāpana no less, disrobed and subsequently took to the bottle!

Could somebody kindly identify the sutta for me please?

… or is this apocryphal?

5 Likes

Here and here. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Well, it is an apocryphal.
There is no sutta that says about asottāpana bhikkhu, disrobed and subsequently become an alcoholic.

About SN55.24/25;
These two suttas are about Sarakāṇi who was not a monk but a lay shākyan and an alcoholic.
Sarakāni had undertaken the precepts on his deathbed, and after that he attained the fruit of stream entry.

There is no sutta evidence to be certain that stream enterers do not drink alcohol. But people use this one as a proof to say they drink alcohol or can even be alcoholics.
We can solve the problem using the end parts of both suttas.

Sarakāni the Sakyan undertook the training at the time of his death.
Saraṇāni, mahānāma, sakko maraṇakāle sikkhaṃ samādiyī (SN55.24)

Mahānāma, Sarakāni the Sakyan fulfilled the training at the time of his death.
Saraṇāni, mahānāma, sakko maraṇakāle sikkhāya paripūrakārī ahosī(SN55.25)

maraṇakāle sikkhaṃ samādiyī
Means he had undertaken precepts

maraṇakāle sikkhāya paripūrakārī ahosī
Also means he attained sotāpattiphala according to AN 3.86.

Take the case of a mendicant who has fulfilled their ethics, but has limited immersion and wisdom. They break some lesser and minor training rules, but are restored. Why is that? Because I don’t say they’re incapable of that. But they’re constant and steady in their precepts regarding the training rules that are fundamental, befitting the spiritual path. They keep the rules they’ve undertaken. With the ending of three fetters they’re a stream-enterer, not liable to be reborn in the underworld, bound for awakening.

According to qouted parts it is possible to conclud that he undertook the precepts on his deathbed. And then he attained the fruit of stream entry. Both happened at the time of his death.

So we can assume he did not drink after his attainment.

3 Likes

Interesting text. What does “They have laughing wisdom and swift wisdom” (hāsapañño javanapañño vimuttiyā) actually mean? Never stumbled upon that phrase before.

Read Piya Tan’s analysis of SN 55.24 for more infomation.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Ven Brahmali. :pray: for the identification, and within sixty minutes too! :smiley:

Thank you for your further comments Tuvoc and Amatabhani.

With the identification successfully made I’m going to close this thread. :pray:

3 Likes