The Full Dependent Origination

SN12.23 has always been one of my favorite suttas. I love how it goes from ignorance all the way to awakening and release. I always found it interesting that dependent origination was something the Buddha came to realize after his awakening, in that first week. I wonder if this was something he came to understand even later, completing the entire concept. I like this though because it shows how even the path to unconditioning is conditioned, and each step has proximate causes. Also, I like how each step beyond suffering just gets better and better! The further you go, the less suffering you experience. Iā€™m surprised this teaching isnā€™t used more often when teaching dependent origination, I feel like this is the full teaching and the one most people talk about is only half of it. Either way though, this teaching seems pretty profound and will always be one of my favorites. Watch now, someone will come and correct me and Iā€™ll find out this isnā€™t even a reliable sutta ;p

5 Likes

SN12.23 is doubtlessly a very important and meaningful sutta. I canā€™t see how one could dismiss or doubt its relevance.

Suttas like AN10.2 / AN11.2, AN10.61, AN10.62 do support the idea of transcendental dependent origination it is calling us to bring about or make room for in our lives and hearts.

Not sure if you have already come across but it may be interesting to others to learn that Bhikkhu Bodhi has authored a beautiful exposition of SN12.23:

upanisa_sutta.pdf (503.3 KB)

Also, @Jayarava has put together some interesting pictures on the topic of how EBTs indicate both the mundane and transcendental dependent originations can be seen from different perspectives:

Source: Jayarava - Dependent Arising

5 Likes

That is so cool! I found this one, but that is sick.

3 Likes

Indeed!

Maybe you are already aware but Ajahn Brahmali usually refers to this when he is guiding retreats. This is a topic started by @sabbamitta describing her experience of attending live one:

2 Likes

Find here also the audio files of Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s retreat in Germany in June 2017:
https://www.samita.eu/en/media/audio-cds/#brahmali2017
:anjal:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there also Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s booklet on exactly this topic, that you translated into German a while ago? Is the English version available online? :dharmawheel:

2 Likes

Dependent origination is realized at stream entry.

"These are the four factors of stream-entry with which he is endowed.
"And which is the noble method that he has rightly seen & rightly ferreted out through discernment?
"There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones notices: When this is, that is. From the arising of this comes the arising of that. When this isnā€™t, that isnā€™t. From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that. AN10.92

I suspect the Buddha understood this earlier, and might have contemplated it after attaining Buddhahood.

with metta

2 Likes

Yep. There are two:
Dependent Origination: do.pdf (181.4 KB)

&
Dependent Liberation: dl.pdf (171.8 KB)

Source: https://www.samita.eu/en/media/books/

:anjal:

3 Likes

Yes, the English version is available online, although we have run out of the printed booklets:
https://www.samita.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/do.pdf
https://www.samita.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/dl.pdf
Oh, Gabriel, only now I saw that you already shared the links here :grin:

Thank you!

2 Likes

There is also Ayya Khemaā€™s book (curiously titled) When the Iron Eagle Flies.

One does need to be aware however that the Upanisā Sutta is not representative and in relation to the other Spiral Path texts looks fragmentary. It is missing important components that can be seen in the 40 or so other Pāįø·i suttas (which I surveyed in 2013), or in the Chinese versions in the Madhyama Āgama (theyā€™re in the first volume of translations from BDK, but Iā€™ve also had a go at translating them). The Chinese versions are more standardised.

Also the idea that the two modes of Paį¹­iccasamuppāda fit together end-to-end as described is not very credible. When I do the nidāna reflection I begin with the Upanisā Sutta version (the upanisās) from the beginning up to Ʊānadassana. Then I go through the standard nidānas forwards and backwards (since this is the content of knowledge and vision) and then complete the sequence of upanisās.

Best Wishes
Jayarava

1 Like