The full version of the "at Sāvatthi" opening

In the Sutta linked below the opening word seems like it is an abbreviation for a stock narrative framing - possibly something they’ve repeated many times already. But I can’t find it. Could someone point me to it? I would be grateful.

Sāvatthinidānaṁ.

…pe…

https://suttacentral.net/sn56.1/pli/ms

1 Like

“Woodward states[2] that, of the four Nikayas, 871 suttas are said to have been preached in Shravasti; 844 of which are in Jetavana, 23 in the Pubbarama, and 4 in the suburbs of Shravasti. These suttas are made up of 6 in the Digha Nikaya, 75 in the Majjhima Nikaya, 736 in the Samyutta Nikaya, and 54 in the Anguttara Nikaya. The Commentaries state that the Buddha spent twenty-five rainy seasons in Shravasti, thus leaving only twenty to be spent elsewhere. Of the 25 rainy seasons which Buddha lived in Shravasti,[3] he spent 19 in the monastery named Jetavana, and 6 in the monastery called Pubbarama. Thus, Shravasti is the place where Buddha lived the longest amount of time, and it is the place where he gave the largest amount of discourses and instructions.”—Wikipedia

You can look through the suttas in the MN. Most start with the narrative frame that places the speaking of the sutta in Savatthi, like this one:

Bhante Sujato’s translation:

At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery.

Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation:

On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s Park.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s definitely it :slight_smile: