The island within – the life of the hermit monk bhante ñāṇadīpa

This Biography of Bhante Ñāṇadīpa was just published online for free and can be accessed as a PDF, EPUB, or mobi in the link below. I’ve included the description below too, in case you want to read and decide before following the link. I’ve read the intro and find it to be well written so far. You can preorder the book on the link below too if you want a paper copy.

This book is about Bhante Ñāṇadīpa, an incredible figure and, for many, the ideal forest monk. We might read about such people from centuries ago, like the Venerable Mahā Kassapa, in the ancient Buddhist texts, or read about the more recent famous Thai forest monks, such as the late Venerable Ajahn Mun Bhuridatta. His very remote forest dwellings (kuṭī ) were basic, without a front wall. He was dedicated to living the forest life to the fullest. He was strict with himself; such was the discipline he chose, and he was not concerned if it was pleasing or distasteful to others. Nothing stopped him. He continued to dig ever deeper into the hindrances and defilements of his mind, his anger and fear, and aimed for the final realization of the Buddha’s Teaching. He carried on along the lonely and thorny path, despite the physical hardships and illnesses he endured, such as malaria and attacks from elephants and other wild animals. And despite being very close to death many times, he persevered, year after year, approaching and entering old age, indifferent to others’ praise or blame. Through it all, he always walked the straight path, never abandoning his resolve.

https://pathpress.org/the-island-within/?fbclid=IwAR1X4oeD3EWJ77HLjsfKB5m7WM6W6m97rbdmydwTuT4DrOm5HcOh3uFQjwQ

10 Likes

To The End of Body and Mind 2021-01-13.pdf (2.4 MB)

This bhikkhu also wrote about him (I believe this is the same ñāṇadīpa).

2 Likes

An interesting read. He had the good fortune to meet Ajahn Cha, and his reaction was to (mentally) judge and criticise Ajahn Cha for the way he swept. Later that monk found out that Ajahn Cha did it on purpose because Ajahn Cha knew that monk was far too judgemental.

2 Likes