The Last Time the World Ended

66 million year old flood waters from hours after the dino-killing asteroid hit have been found perfectly preserved in North Dakota: trees blazing, fish choking on fallout, and tiny glass beeds forming craters in the mud as they rained down from the sky – all found preserved in this fascinating snapshot from “the day the world died.”

16 Likes

2000 miles away from the impact crater. :open_mouth:

At this point I have to quote a non-EBT sutta:

• gate gate paragate parasamgate :dizzy: :boom: :hole: :skull_and_crossbones:
2 Likes

Don’t forget: Bodhi Soha!

2 Likes

:laughing: I can see the extinction but I am not sure all those fossilized sentient beings realized Nibbana.

2 Likes

Good point! :crazy_face:

1 Like

They’ve had time to return lots of times since. I hope that some of them have reached full realisation by now.

4 Likes

This article is one of the finest pieces of long-form journalism I’ve read in a long time. Really interesting and informative, both as to what happened then and how the world of science works now. The findings are, so far, unconfirmed, but they seem plausible and compelling.

7 Likes

This is a very interesting article. I can very well relate as I have spent hours digging out fossils and I did a study on the KT Boundary in 1988 in Italy. No great dinosaurs have been discovered there but the clarity of the KT Boundary and the amazing transformation of the fossils was incredible.

Before the KT Boundary there were masses of micro-fossils, all sort of angular. Then the KT Boundary and there is nothing any more for some time after that. Then slowly more rounded micro-fossils appeared of a much different shape than the ones before. It was facinating.

13 Likes

Your experience continues to astound me!

5 Likes

I just finished reading Timefulness by Marcia Bjornerud. Highly recommended for anyone else like me who enjoys science, but never really “got” geology. :grinning:

2 Likes

A related story about an adventurous geologist and the “Deccan Traps” (volcanic formations) in India, from the September 2018 isssue of The Atlantic.

4 Likes

Geology is fascinating. Some of the granite on our local sea defences is apparently a billion years old. Mind-boggling!

3 Likes