The light side of Covid-19

Covid-19 generating a new apocryphal Gospel.

18 Likes

@twisteddoodles

5 Likes

"Based on this new evidence, the [UK] Government is introducing new rules in stages to make people’s speech less dangerous, and slow the spread of COVID-19. … Anyone speaking in a “fublic flace will have to stof using the flosive sound. Failure to do so will lead to a fine, or even frison”, he says.

“The whole fofulation, even Members of Farliament, will all have to flay their fart in this.”

Full commentary here.

16 Likes

Dhe dhree diers of sfeaking English in dhe Unided Lingdom.

3 Likes

Not a bad proposal, but wouldn’t it be simpler and just as hygienic to simply pronounce them all on the in-breath, turning each bilabial and velar plosive consonant into its corresponding implosive, and each alveolar or dental into its corresponding click? We wouldn’t then need to tamper with standard orthography and it might even promote world peace, with each velar becoming a gulp and each bilabial a kiss.

And Ven. Brahmali could make himself useful by teaching Aussies how to do it with the /j/ and the /n/.

3 Likes

Thank you, @Gillian, for this wonderful laugh! :rofl: :heart:

4 Likes

Pl Note :slight_smile:
Non-linguists don’t be confused by the presenter spending most of the time explaining explosives which should be avoided in the the time of Covid, concentrate on the implosives which are the super-safe ones.

Lovely response Venerable: thank you.

3 Likes

They make me laugh thank you

So True!!!
If one wants to go crazy… have kids!

28 Likes

Actually, I think you might have to start one step back: if you know what these two objects are, you are old and so on. Good to know that my childhood wasn’t as misspent as I might have guessed and that I was just preparing for this moment.

12 Likes

Lol :rofl:

12 Likes

Covid deniers in Britain…

1 Like

I’m not sure if it was intended to be funny, but this is how the government of the Faroe Islands is persuading its citizens to stay at home, wash their hands frequently and cough into their sleeves.

The Corona Opera
(Faroese with English subtitles).

11 Likes

10,000 likes :rofl: :joy: :sparkling_heart: :joy: :rofl: :smiley:

3 Likes

VERY jealous of our Australian friends right now :triumph: (Okay, time to cultivate muditā.)

A meme to lighten my envy?

1 Like

I’m sure you must be envious of us right now. My reaction to that video was, “Oh dear, we are still having to practice social distancing.” (Okay, more karuṇā coming your way.)
Also disappointment because I slept through the alarm that I set so that I could listen to your talk to Australians this morning. I was sooo looking forward to meeting you Bhante … but I guess there’ll be more opportunities. :pray:

2 Likes
6 Likes

I can really relate to Hermann. I’ve found that sitting in quiet contentment can make other people very uncomfortable. It’s kind of a subversive thing to do.

9 Likes

True story, I was once confronted by two police officers in Canada for sitting on a public bench too happily.

I had been sitting there, perfectly still and smiling into space for maybe 25 minutes? I assume the woman working at the stand across the way was mighty creeped out by this and had called the cops. :joy:

14 Likes