The Metta Files

It’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow. I know, how dare I even mention it. But you know what’s even better than waiting to receive a Valentine and be loved? Feeling love. I couldn’t help it watching all these beautiful videos today. These little videos are kinda corny, but I can’t help but feel some Metta-spiration when I see them. And we need a little happiness.

So let your heart smile. And feel free to add to the Metta file! :yellow_heart:

14 Likes

That’s so neat! :anjal:

In the interest of cross-cultural sharing, in Finland the day is celebrated as ‘Ystävänpäivä’, or ‘Friends’ Day’

As the wikipedia entry will tell you:

Kansainvälisestä Valentinuksen päivästä poiketen suomalainen ystävänpäivä on yleisemmin ystävien muistamisen, ei vain rakastavaisten juhlapäivä.

Doh! Shot myself in the foot there, I don’t really know Finnish at all well :smiley: . I do know enough though to tell you it basically says it’s not celebrated only as a lovers’ day, but a day of remembering friends. I’ve personally seen this being extended to a metta-like broadly directed kindliness, so on behalf of Finland (I’m sure Juha Sipilä won’t mind), I invite everyone to be Finnish for the day.

Much may your metta file grow fat.

5 Likes

Truly a source of joy!! Happy Friends’ day to you!!!

4 Likes

Great topic! I sometimes use the image of cuddly critters to generate mettā.

Remember; you might get all kinds of grumpiness if you neglect your mettā:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s my late kitten, who filled my heart with lots of Metta.

8 Likes

This is our rabbit, Bun Bun. She was dumped behind the building where I work in the dead of winter. Luckily, we rescued her just before the sub zero temperatures (Fahrenheit) hit. A live trap and a banana did the trick! She now has a whole room to herself to run around and play, and gets fresh veggies daily. Now we want to get her a companion from the local animal sanctuary.

7 Likes
5 Likes

:speak_no_evil:

5 Likes
2 Likes

When the bell goes for dana time at the monastery :laughing:

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It only takes one to change the tide…

Having gone to heaven they rejoice,
And enjoying pleasures there,
The unselfish experience the result
Of generously sharing with others.

9 Likes

The last few months I have been working at a centre that processes people for immigration into Australia. A few of those people have come on protection visas. Although they are usually self sufficient, the Red Cross does a lot to help them and welcome them into Australia.

Last night when I was finishing work I found one of the remnants of the Red Cross’s generosity. It was a treasured little teddy that the Red Cross Volunteers make themselves. Called ‘trauma teddies’ these handmade toys are knitted with love and given to vulnerable children.

I can imagine these are a great source of comfort to children who have nothing - not only in a material sense, but in the knowledge, that someone, somewhere, cares. And that they want them to be happy.
It made me think about how precious even our small acts of generosity can be to others, and to ourselves.

“Bhikkhus, there are these five benefits of giving. What five? (1) One is dear and agreeable to many people. (2) Good persons resort to one. (3) One acquires a good reputation. (4) One is not deficient in the layperson’s duties. (5) With the breakup of the body, after death, one is reborn in a good destination, in a heavenly world. These are the five benefits in giving.”

By giving, one becomes dear,
one follows the duty of the good;
the good self-controlled monks
always resort to one.

They teach one the Dhamma
that dispels all suffering,
having understood which
the taintless one here attains nibbāna.

AN5.35

8 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

I think it’s a good time to revive this thread. :slight_smile:

Google, ‘random acts of kindness videos’… it’s a treasure trove of metta and dana and a lovely thing to do before sleeping at night.

I wonder how many new stories could be added here that are more relevant to this time of pandemic.

1 Like