The new SC is great but

Ok so now bhante has downloaded the files but they dont appear in the download folder? So I switch to another language but its all still in english??Another thing is it correct that the online version as it is only has two languages available?

There won’t appear anything in your download folder. You just switch your internet connection off and continue using SC in your browser just the same way as if you are connected to the internet (but only in one language).

I am not sure what you mean by that.

You seem to confuse two different things:

1. The languages available to browse SuttaCentral. These are only English and Polish at the moment, but the structure of the site is made in a way that more languages can be added in the future so that anybody can browse the whole site in their own language.
  2. The languages for translations. There are currently translations in about 40 languages on SC, and for your download you choose one of them. Then you can read all texts translated into that language (and including root language if you choose) in offline mode without internet connection.
2 Likes

ok thats good thanks for your help, for the admin…dont know if its relative to my com but everytime i click on the icon to change the language of the translation its jamming…another thing is if its possible to put an icon to download say a whole book in another language that would be helpful rather than doing it one by one. I tried downloading the site but it didnt work

2 Likes

How can I see other languages?
I can see only two languages and cant find Sinhalese language selection.
Thanks

In these cards you can see “translations” and underneath Sujato, Bodhi and a dropdown box called More. If you expand the dropdown box you will see all the translations of that sutta, including the Sinhala. We have a complete set of Sinhala translations.

2 Likes

So I was just sending some information about SC to some non-native English speakers and realized what has seemed odd to me…

Could the word “Translations” be changed to “Translators”. It would make so much more sense. Or “Translated by”?

1 Like

You see both translators name and the language he used to ranslate it. for instance there is a box displaying “Si” to mean Sinhala my language.

The new SC is great but… Is there a quick clickable way to go to either Homepage or the EBT texts without searching for anything, i.e. a random show me suttas button? (i may have missed something obvious; i may have a talent or cultivated skill in that =D )

for me, it is too easy to keep reading D&D, or even discussions about suttas. But of course a disciplined mind would not have this problem. or a more structured approach… but i am avoiding that as also potentially problematic for me at this time.

The new SC is great but the new translations & other translations and pali are even better! :anjal:

I"m talking about the area that I point to in the attached image, not the More drop down.

There is. On the top of every page you see the lotus-flower in the toolbar. (if you don’t see the toolbar, just scroll up a little). Click on that and it will take you back to the homepage.

1 Like

@sujato, @Vimala

When I browse using the left hand side menu, once I click on a green link, it displays all those ‘cards’ - which I think maybe called the suttaplex list??

Now this is great on my desktop where the menu conveniently takes up very little space on the left hand side. But on my Android phone the menu takes up almost all of the screen, with the suttaplex list behind the menu. It is not clear that I have found my way to where I need to be and I then have to click the small amount of remaining screen to see the suttaplex list.

I’m wondering if it might be a good idea (just on mobiles) to hide the menu once a green link has been clicked in the left hand menu, thereby exposing the suttaplex list?

3 Likes

Yes, maybe, let us look into this.

Edit: I just noticed that ths is already listed as a bug:

Just FYI, the general principle I use is that the site should avoid doing anything unless it is explicitly requested by the user. This means that there might be a few more taps or clicks than are always necessary, but it puts control in the user’s hands, rather than second-guessing how they want to use the site. This is why we only retract the sidebar when actively requested by the user. Having said which, like all general principles, it shouldn’t be applied too rigorously, and it sounds like this is a case where it should be reconsidered.

4 Likes

The lotus takes me to D&D index. This remains a step away from the texts themselves, i.e. suttacentral.net home. Working as designed?

This lotus in the left hand corner:
Screenshot%20from%202018-04-18%2010-44-57Screenshot%20from%202018-04-18%2010-45-18

1 Like

Having difficulty taking a screen capture, but i get only D&D lotus, not the first bar in grey you show, no matter how much i scroll. This, regardless of browser chrome or silk.

I think you are trying to click on the lotus that you see while you are in D&D and it is not the homepage you are trying to get to but the main SuttaCentral site (not the forum). Try surfing to https://suttacentral.net instead.

Another thing you can do (while in the forum) is to go to your settings preferences --> interface --> change the theme to Legacy and then save. That way you have the old theme back and that has a logo on the top which goes to the main site. This new theme doesn’t. If you find it hard to do that, let me know and I can do it for you.

1 Like

no, that will work great, thank you!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Sorry I misunderstood you the first time. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: If i had known the solutuon, i could have asked the question and described an unseen difference better. Oh, that tricksy temporality! :wink: Thank you for patience, Venerable.

2 Likes