The oldest, dateable depiction of Buddha in human form

I wonder if the one who found it discarded the contents of the casket assuming it was just dust while it may have been ashes from the Blessed One! :sob:

16 Likes

Curating Vulture Peak is also an amazing (this one extensive and multi-part) series the British Museum put out related to this. It’s all part of their Curators Corner series. Very good, every episode.

3 Likes

You mean Conserving Vulture Peak:

:anjal:

5 Likes

Ah, yes! It seems I do.

1 Like

This one is even more only-vaguely relevant, but I thought it was a sign of the times that the British Museum is now doing unboxing videos on YouTube:

For those who don’t know, Seinto Onniisan is a light Japanese comedy about Jesus and the Buddha depicted as young broke 20-something year olds living in an apartment in Japan for a gap year.

1 Like

Hope the ad revenues can help them offsetting the decreasing numbers of visitors… :sweat:

1 Like

Hopefully. Ideally some people will come in and see this manga section and peripherally be interested in other things it has to offer.

I wish there were a Curator’s Corner about Gandhāran art and manuscripts as long as the one on the silk painting.

2 Likes