The other way to final Nibbāna according to the suttas

If everything ceases how can any defilements be present?

It’s actually what appears to be supported in many suttas. This also arises from practice, though we’re not going to get into that. The only time the clearly Buddha speaks about something “eternal” is when it’s presented as wrong view, as in DN1.
Other verses and citations regarding “something” that remains after final nibbāna are open to interpretation, or are in verses which are more inspirational than doctrinal, or which may have been misinterpreted. such as:

I mean, certainly there continues to be debate about nibbāna and other issues like this amongst learned and experienced practitioners.

No offense taken. I just don’t know how you reached this conclusion since I know I’ve never expressed anything like “knowing it all.”
If anything, I recall many times on this forum when I’ve expressed that there are different interpretations of the suttas and that we’re all free to choose.
When in a discussion, naturally each side presents their understanding and, hopefully, citations from the Buddha’s teachings in the EBTs. He is the supreme Teacher, yes?

1 Like