The Therigatha Festival is finally here!

Welcome to the Therigatha Festival!

:tada: :balloon:

Learn about the ancient nuns:

More videos will be coming, subscribe to our channel to make sure you don’t miss any!

The first episode of Finding Sanctuary will premiere today at 8pm Sydney time (3.30pm in Sri Lanka, 12pm in Central Europe, 6am at the US east coast).

Watch here:

Episodes will premiere daily at the same time for the next two weeks.

Check out our website for live events:

https://therigathafestival.net/events/

Register for the panel discussion with all the nuns from Finding Sanctuary on Sunday, May 16th.

19 Likes

What an extravaganza! :bouquet::tada::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::tada::bouquet:

9 Likes

I do hope there’ll be a recording of Ayya Sudhamma’s program on YouTuube?

4 Likes

My goodness @Gillian!

More? You want more?!?!
:joy::joy::joy:

The public is never satisfied! :thinking: Hopefully we will have a video from Ayya S! But the future is uncertain and technology is an unknowable beast. But fingers crossed, yes.

Meantime please enjoy!

6 Likes

I think it’s a wholesome unworldly desire. :rofl:

Just settling back as Ayya Yeshe is being introduced. :pray:

4 Likes

New video by Dr. Marlai Ouch! :heart: :tada:

She compares two pairs of foremost disciples who in their lay life were married couples, Bhadda Kapilani & Mahakassapa, and Queen Anoja & Mahakappina. While Bhadda Kapilani, Mahakassapa and Mahakappina are widely recognized as outstanding disciples, Queen Anoja was marginalized in the Pali tradition, despite her great accomplishments. Dr. Ouch then draws parallels to the current situation of bhikkhunis in Cambodia.

From the video description:

Anoja Devi Theri is a great bhikkhuni in the Pali commentaries and is among the 50 great bhikkhunīs found in a unique list of foremost disciples belonging to the Khmer tradition. She may even be the link of Khmer Bhikkhunis to the time of the Buddha. Dr. Marlai Ouch talks about reasons why she is not mentioned in the Pali Canon, and explores the question why the Khmer Bhikkhuni Sangha is being denied.

Dr. Marlai Ouch is an educator, a Buddhist practitioner, and an activist. She advocates for social justice, equity, and gender equality, and supports efforts to revive the Khmer Bhikkhuni Sangha. She received a doctorate degree in educational leadership, and an MBA, and an MA in Economics from San Francisco State University.

6 Likes

Watch episode 2 of Finding Sanctuary here. Ayya Yeshe is joining again to discuss Vira Theri’s poem. :tada:

6 Likes

I’m really enjoying it so far, and I commend Bhante @Akaliko and Ayya @Vimalanyani and others for making it happen!

I was initially a little overwhelmed by the half-dozen or so videos that were posted a couple of days ago Therigatha Festival - YouTube
but now that the Finding Sanctuary Finding Sanctuary - YouTube series has started, I’m relieved to find that those are short enough to keep up with on a daily basis.

Much metta! :heart:

8 Likes

Today’s episode, with @ayyasoma about Mutta Theri’s poem:
Enjoy! :tada:

8 Likes

Watch episode 4, with Anagarika @Sabbamitta :sparkles:

6 Likes

Today’s episode 5 is with Ayya Soma :sparkles: about Sama Theri’s verses:

4 Likes

Today’s episode with Ayya @Munissara from Dhammasara monastery is premiering now! Enjoy :sparkles:

5 Likes

Today’s episode is again with Ayya @Munissara, about Dantika Theri. :elephant:

6 Likes

This was one of my favourite talks from the series. Ayya Munissara speaks so well about the importance of female role models in our spiritual communities and why it is essential that women can see themselves represented to inspire others on the path.

Really recommend watching this talk.

7 Likes

I have not watched that one yet, but Ayya Munissara’s first appearance was excellent (3.4 Dantika and the Elephant). Her observations about elephants, informed by having grown up in Asia, were very insightful. It’ great having these different perspectives: female, asian, etc…

4 Likes

Today’s episode is with Anagarika @Sabbamitta :sparkles:
This is part 1 of the discussion of Sela’s verses. Watch part 2 tomorrow for the Chinese parallel of the poem!

5 Likes

The companion episode to yesterday’s poem, with Anagarika @Sabbamitta :sparkles:

6 Likes

Today’s episode with Ayya Yeshe is premiering now! :tada:

5 Likes

Today’s episode, with Anagarika @Sabbamitta about Bhadda Kundalakesa Theri :sparkles:

5 Likes

Today’s guest is @AyyaSoma again:

If you like her talks, she’ll be giving a live talk about Isidasi Theri’s poem in two hours!

3 Likes