The whole of the Path in 2 sentences or less - Sutta quotes

“Mendicants, sometimes a mendicant pays heed, pays attention, engages whole-heartedly, and lends an ear to the teaching. At such a time the five hindrances are absent, and the seven awakening factors are fully developed” - MN46.38

6 Likes

My latest favorite—I think it hasn’t been mentioned yet:

DN16:6.10.10-13:
“Aniccā vata saṅkhārā,
“Oh! Conditions are impermanent,
uppādavayadhammino;
their nature is to rise and fall;
Uppajjitvā nirujjhanti,
having arisen, they cease;
tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho”ti.
their stilling is true bliss.”

Also found in DN 17 at the very end.

13 Likes

SN22.59:

“This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self.”

9 Likes

Imho this Sutta seems to describe the entire path for training for liberation like a google map description !!

MN39
https://suttacentral.net/mn39/en/sujato

When their mind has become immersed in samādhi like this—purified, bright, flawless, rid of corruptions, pliable, workable, steady, and imperturbable—they extend it toward knowledge of the ending of defilements. They truly understand: ‘This is suffering’ … ‘This is the origin of suffering’ … ‘This is the cessation of suffering’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering.’ They truly understand: ‘These are defilements’ … ‘This is the origin of defilements’ … ‘This is the cessation of defilements’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of defilements.’ Knowing and seeing like this, their mind is freed from the defilements of sensuality, desire to be reborn, and ignorance. When they’re freed, they know they’re freed. They understand: ‘Rebirth is ended, the spiritual journey has been completed, what had to be done has been done, there is no return to any state of existence.’

3 Likes

Just wanted to resurrect this thread with some pithy sayings I have found both funny and inspirational. :slight_smile: I sense an echo of Ajahn Liem in them… If anyone has similar quotes in mind I would live to hear them!

AN 2.6. When you keep seeing things that are prone to being fettered as boring, you give up greed, hate, and delusion. When these are given up, you’re freed from rebirth, old age, and death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress. You’re freed from suffering, I say.

Thag 10.3
It’s not a teaching just for today;
it isn’t incredible or amazing.
When you’re born, you die—
what’s amazing about that?

3 Likes

Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta.

1 Like