There's blank pages where there weren't any before

I keep seeing nothing but empty pages. Is everything okay?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve also had trouble with suttacentral.net URLs on my iPad. They started showing up as blank pages in Chrome. Iā€™ve started using my Chromebook to look at suttas. This happens with Chrome on iPadPro using links such as:

I even powercycled my iPadPro to no avail.
IOS: 13.3.1
Chrome: 79.0.3945.73

Same problem with Safari on iPadPro

@blake @sujato @HongDa

2 Likes

Chrome: 80.0.3987.99

I cleared the cache and refreshed and also rebooted took off extensions tried the app. No dice.

Did a clean reinstallation of chrome, and it was fixed. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem, theyā€™ll be able to fix it

1 Like

Upon reinputting my settings itā€™s back to being blank pages.

I turned on Sutta references, word lookup and Pāli line by line. Itā€™s back to not working

The error appears to be reproducible. I have tried five times to see if other variables were making a difference. They were not.

I had a friend try the same thing with Chrome, Version 80.0.3987.106 (Official Build) (64-bit), Windows 10 and the error affected him too

Chrome, Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit), Mac OS 10.14.6, and I donā€™t have the problem with regular windows but do have it in incognito windows.

Iā€™m doing a quick check now, I canā€™t find any problem. Thanks everyone for the bug report, but if it persists, can I ask you to:

1. Post a URL that does not display for you
  2. Post any error from your console. (right click, inspect, console, the errors are marked in red)

I do not know how to open the console on mobile, is there a way to inspect it on mobile chrome? As Iā€™m not able to right click or inspect the code directly.

From Incognito, literally any sutta page is blank. Examples: http://www.suttacentral.net/mn and http://www.suttacentral.net/mn15 as a random example I happen to have up in my browser. I notice nothing in the console that seems to indicate an error in Incognito.

Actually, there does seem to be an error in the code, but I canā€™t find it. Hereā€™s a screenshot of my console:

Sorry, I donā€™t know, checking things on mobile is hard.

Hmm, Iā€™ve opened both those pages in incognito Chrome and Firefox, they work fine.

Great, can you click on the ā€œConsoleā€ tab, then if the error is not visible, click on the red X icon. Ignore the yellow ā€œwarningsā€, we want Red!

I just refreshed and MN15 is now there.

Well thatā€™s good but also bad!

My guess is that this is related to a recent update we did. Itā€™s probably not the update itself, more likely a cache issue. Although this would not explain why there was a problem in incognito, usually that busts the cache anyway. Hmm.

I suspect that, if the problem also resolves itself for other users, the best we can do is to wait till the next update and hope it doesnā€™t happen again.

No luck on my part. I found a way to view the source code but not cleanly.

https://pastebin.com/BmgenqFe

Hereā€™s the code, but hereā€™s what I seeā€¦

The homepage (suttacentral.net) is blank for me. Red console error: ā€œUncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property ā€˜callā€™ of undefined
at a (main.js:1)
at Module.631 (74.js:1)
at a (main.js:1)ā€

This is on a chromeobook.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for that, I will alert our developers and see what can be done.

I have the same problem. Ipad Pro, Safari & Chrome.