Thought and examination (Vitakka and Vicara) after composure?

It appears that you find Vitakka and Vicara in first Jhana as well as before first Jhana.
How this is possible.
The following video discuss this matter in detail.
But I am not happy with any of the answers given.
What is your answer?

i donā€™t understand the problem: all the jhana factors, except perhaps unification, are present before first jhana. The ingredients exist before the meal does.

4 Likes

The question is how Vitakka and Vicara still in first Jhana.
Ven Aggacitta gives some examples from Chinese Agama and the opinion of Ven. Analayo.
From counter 28.2 on wards.
Then he says it appears that there is a glitch in the Sutta.

So what is your opinion?
:slight_smile:

The question is:
There is Vitakka and Vicara in first Jhana as well as before first Jhana.
How this is possible?

Why would it not be possible?

I watched the ending of the video you posted and if I understand you correctly, you are asking why thereā€™s still thought and examination in the first jhana, if the Buddha gave up thinking before he entered the first jhana?

The short answer is that vitakka and vicara donā€™t mean full blown thinking and pondering in the first jhana but rather placing the mind or applying the mind (vitakka) and keeping it connected or sustaining it there (vicara). So the Buddha gave up grosser forms of thinking and pondering but some fine traces of these processes still remain in the first jhana.

This was already covered in this topic you yourself started:

I think MN 78 will solve the mystery of the nature/function of vitakka-vicara in the 1st Jhana.

2 Likes

Thanks so according to MN 78:

• Un wholesome thoughts ceased in first Jhana and wholesome thoughts ceased in second Jhana.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.078.than.html

1 Like

ā€œThoughtsā€ seem to be a vague translation for saį¹…kappā. Imagine, an entire element of the Noble Eightfold Path could completely disappear in the 2nd Jhana.

See also -

1 Like

Isnā€™t this Sati?

[quote=ā€œSylvester, post:9, topic:3385ā€]Imagine, an entire element of the Noble Eightfold Path could completely disappear in the 2nd Jhana.
[/quote]
Why not? MN 78:

ā€œkatame ca, thapati, kusalā saį¹…kappā? nekkhammasaį¹…kappo, abyāpādasaį¹…kappo, avihiį¹ƒsāsaį¹…kappo: ime vuccanti, thapati, kusalā saį¹…kappā.
"And what are skillful resolves? Being resolved on renunciation (freedom from sensuality), on non-ill will, on harmlessness. These are called skillful resolves.

So, it seems, kusalā saį¹…kappā = sammāsaį¹…kappā

And then:

ā€œime ca, thapati, kusalā saį¹…kappā kuhiį¹ƒ aparisesā nirujjhanti? nirodhopi nesaį¹ƒ vutto. idha, thapati, bhikkhu vitakkavicārānaį¹ƒ vÅ«pasamā ā€¦ pe ā€¦ dutiyaį¹ƒ jhānaį¹ƒ upasampajja viharati; etthete kusalā saį¹…kappā aparisesā nirujjhanti.

Now where do skillful resolves cease without trace? Their cessation, too, has been stated: There is the case where a monk, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, enters & remains in the second jhanaā€¦ This is where skillful resolves cease without trace.

5 Likes

Great points! Iā€™d like to expand a little bit on what I think youā€™re getting at.

It could be pointed out that the sammāsaį¹…kappā are phrased in the negative. In other words, more about absence ā€” absence of negative saį¹…kappā (wishes/intentions/resolves/aims). That the sammāsaį¹…kappā are positive qualities, they are positive only in so far as their definition, their defining characteristic, is in turning away from the negative qualities of unskillful aims.

• nekkhammasaį¹…kappo:
    Specifically, 1st jhāna is viveka kāmehi (seclusion from sensual desire / sensuality) ā€” I would say that sounds like the fulfillment of nekkhammasaį¹…kappo (for the duration of jhāna at least).

• abyāpādasaį¹…kappo & avihiį¹ƒsāsaį¹…kappo:
    The 1st jhāna is also vivicca akusalehi dhammehi (seclusion from unwholesome states) ā€” this I would say covers the other two sammāsaį¹…kappā (abyāpādasaį¹…kappo and avihiį¹ƒsāsaį¹…kappo) in so far as being secluded from unwholesome states would necessarily include seclusion from any sort of ill-will or harmful intentions. Then, in the 2nd jhāna, as you have quoted, it seems skillful aims also cease. So we could conclude that there are then no saį¹…kappā (kusalā nor akusulā) from 2nd jhāna onwards, I think this could be interpreted not as an absence of sammāsaį¹…kappā but rather as the fulfillment of such ā€” no sensuality, no ill-will, no harmfulness.

I guess this begs the question, what kind of kusalā saį¹…kappā are present in 1st jhāna? To me, at least, I would think that nekhamma is fulfilled in the 1st, but perhaps abyāpādasaį¹…kappo and avihiį¹ƒsāsaį¹…kappo could still be active in some sort of subtle form. What do yā€™all think?

2 Likes