Translation Query

Hello Venerables and other fellow discoursers, we have a translation here I can’t make sense of:

They’ve come to an end, and cannot be measured;
Atthaṅgato so na puneti - SuttaCentral

Bodhi translates:

Passed away, he cannot be measured

Why does “so na puneti” mean “he cannot be measured?” The definitions of puneti and puna on suttacentral and in the PTS have to do with coming again or repeating. Where is the idea of measurement coming from, the word I’m vaguely familiar with relating to measurement is sankhā.

Why doesn’t “Atthaṅgato so na puneti” just mean “passed away, he does not come again/return.”

If Venerables @sujato or @dhammanando would comment I’d be very appreciative.

Thanks!

:anjal:

2 Likes

Puneti = puna eti, “come again”.

However, the reading in all the non-Burmese editions is pamāṇameti, which is pamāṇaṃ eti. Moreover, in the parallel passage in the Itivuttaka’s Dutiyarāgasutta, all editions read pamāṇameti.

4 Likes

Ah, so it’s just that the translations of Venerables @sujato and Bodhi are from different versions of the Pāli than the one on sutta central. The Chinese parallel doesn’t have a corresponding verse related to not being measured but I’m not sure that is much aid in guessing what the original version would have said.

The Chinese Parallel: SuttaCentral

Thank you Bhante :anjal:

2 Likes

By the way, I see that in Hecker’s German translation of this sutta the verses are missing. They’ve been misplaced at the start of the following sutta.

4 Likes

@Aminah, this looks like something for you. :pray:

1 Like

Quite right, you are! :pray:

I checked it out and found that this is a replication of a mistake in the source file:
http://www.palikanon.com/samyutta/sam35_200.html#s35_188

I’ve pushed a fix to GitHub, but… do you guys know the rest of the tune by now? Can you sing along? :notes: :grin:

2 Likes