Trying to find Buddhist Sutta on how a "Brahma" comes into existence

I am being driven mad by another Sutta I read in-which it describes “The House of Brahma.” It takes about as a god dies in the higher planes and ends up in an empty universe and how the universe forms around him.

Out of the time of my early diving into the Suttas, this is the last Sutta that I have not been able to rediscover. I have definitely learned from my ignorance on this and now organize and save what I have read.

If someone could help me with finding this Sutta I would very much appreciate it.

3 Likes

DN1 The All-embracing Net of Views, perhaps?

https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/bodhi

“There comes a time, bhikkhus, when after the lapse of a long period this world contracts (disintegrates). While the world is contracting, beings for the most part are reborn in the Ābhassara Brahma-world. There they dwell, mind-made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And they continue thus for a long, long period of time.
“But sooner or later, bhikkhus, after the lapse of a long period, there comes a time when this world begins to expand once again. While the world is expanding, an empty palace of Brahmā appears. Then a certain being, due to the exhaustion of his life-span or the exhaustion of his merit, passes away from the Ābhassara plane and re-arises in the empty palace of Brahmā. There he dwells, mind made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And he continues thus for a long, long period of time.
“Then, as a result of dwelling there all alone for so long a time, there arises in him dissatisfaction and agitation, (and he yearns): ‘Oh, that other beings might come to this place!’ Just at that moment, due to the exhaustion of their life-span or the exhaustion of their merit, certain other beings pass away from the Ābhassara plane and re-arise in the palace of Brahmā, in companionship with him. There they dwell, mind-made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And they continue thus for a long, long period of time.
“Thereupon the being who re-arose there first thinks to himself: ‘I am Brahmā, the Great Brahmā, the Vanquisher, the Unvanquished, the Universal Seer, the Wielder of Power, the Lord, the Maker and Creator, the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be. And these beings have been created by me. What is the reason? Because first I made the wish: “Oh, that other beings might come to this place!” And after I made this resolution, now these beings have come.’

6 Likes

I am really grateful, thank you so much.

2 Likes

Most welcome :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I remember reading this sutta about twenty years ago when I was starting off learning about the Buddha and thinking “what a genius!”

5 Likes

If you search for empty mansion in Voice.suttacentral.net, you will find five results: DN 1, DN 24, AN 7.62, AN 7.66, and Iti 22.

I have added “empty mansion” to the Voice examples, thank you very much for the suggestion! :pray:

3 Likes