Trying to Identify a Sutta

Can anyone help me find a sutta passage where Ananda and Ven. Sariputta took some situation as an opportunity to practice Upekkha, but later the Buddha told them it was really an opportunity for action and taking responsibility? (Ven Anālayo referred to it during a discussion on climate change, I think.)

Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Could it be Catuma Sutta MN67, with the simile of the unweened calves and the seedlings? The senior monks Sariputta and Moggalana should have taken responsibility for the junior monks…

https://suttacentral.net/mn67/en/sujato

Or perhaps the Potaliya sutta?

https://suttacentral.net/an4.100/en/sujato

Potaliya: “Master Gotama, of these four people, it is the person who neither praises those deserving of praise at the right time, truthfully and substantively; nor criticizes those deserving of criticism at the right time, truthfully and substantively. That is the person I believe to be the finest. Why is that? Because, Master Gotama, equanimity is the best.”

The Buddha: "Potaliya, of these four people, it is the person who criticizes those deserving of criticism at the right time, truthfully and substantively; and praises those deserving of praise at the right time, truthfully and substantively. That is the person I consider to be the finest. Why is that? Because, Potaliya, understanding of time and context is the best.”
Potaliya Sutta AN 4.100 1

I’ve still got one guess left, right? :smiley:

5 Likes

The Buddha said to Venerable Sāriputta, “Sāriputta, what did you think when the mendicant Saṅgha was dismissed by me?”

“Sir, I thought this: ‘The Buddha has dismissed the mendicant Saṅgha. Now he will remain passive, dwelling in blissful meditation in the present life, and so will we.’”

“Hold on, Sāriputta, hold on! Don’t you ever think such a thing again!”

Then the Buddha addressed Venerable Mahāmoggallāna, “Moggallāna, what did you think when the mendicant Saṅgha was dismissed by me?”

“Sir, I thought this: ‘The Buddha has dismissed the mendicant Saṅgha. Now he will remain passive, dwelling in blissful meditation in the present life. Meanwhile, Venerable Sāriputta and I will lead the mendicant Saṅgha.’”

“Good, good, Moggallāna! For either I should lead the mendicant Saṅgha, or else Sāriputta and Moggallāna.”

5 Likes

I’m not aware of the sutta you’re asking for, but the underlying principle is also clearly outlined in MN2, and the many different ways to deal with different situations. Eg. There is a time for Development (includes Upekha), and a time for Enduring (when there is no other option) or Avoidance of the unwholesome or unpleasant, etc

2 Likes

Definitely not t the similie of the shark in MN67 Cātumāsutta:

This is called one who resigns the training and returns to a lesser life because they’re afraid of the danger of sharks. ‘Danger of sharks’ is a term for females.
>
These are the four dangers that a gentleman who goes forth from the lay life to homelessness in this teaching and training should anticipate.”

That is what the Buddha said. Satisfied, the mendicants were happy with what the Buddha said.

Two comments: I’m wondering why the automatic referencing has disappeared (?) and why can’t men see that it’s not women who are necessarily the danger but their own defilements? :sob: :sob: :sob:

Is it AN 5.166?

Then the Buddha said to Venerable Ānanda, “Ānanda! There’s a senior mendicant being harassed, and you just watch it happening. Don’t you have any compassion for a senior mendicant who is being harassed?”

4 Likes

Thanks Punna. :pray:

AN5.166 is the only suggestion that has Ananda and Sariputta involved and could be it. Perhaps this is “it”, but I’m still wondering if there are other occasions where something similar occurred.

2 Likes