Two enhancements to the SuttaPlex cards

What is a SuttaPlex card

First off, in case you don’t know, the SuttaPlex cards are what you see when you are looking at the suttas in a book. For example the first SuttaPlex card on the Dighanikaya page:

It’s chocked full of information about the sutta, including

• Pāli name,
  • PTS reference,
  • a link to SCVoice,
  • a list of all the translations in your chosen interface language
  • a list or all other translations
  • parallels
  • a link to the root edition

And in some cases

• a “blurb” about the sutta
  • recommendation level (in the shot above that’s the tree, indicating it’s for advanced readers)

For the techie people here, all this data is available as a JSON object using the API. For example:
https://suttacentral.net/api/suttas/dn1/sujato?lang=en&siteLanguage=en

What’s new?

Verse numbers

Now those “suttas” that are made up of verses contain the specific verse numbers on the sutta’s SuttaPlex card. So for example, here is Snp2.1:

We can find these verse numbers in the Snp, Vv, Pv, Thag, and Thig. The Dhammapada has included verse numbers for some time.

Annotation badge

A growing number of suttas are getting annotations (aka footnotes). You can now tell which suttas have annotations by looking for the badge on the suttaplex card:

This annotation feature is only available for those texts created using the Bilara translation software designed by the SuttaCentral team. The “:heavy_check_mark: aligned” badge indicates that you can view the Pāli along side the translation.

Ven @sabbamitta is also adding annotations to her German translations:

To actually view the annotations while reading a sutta, you need to turn that on using the “views” settings on the sutta page:

When “Tooltip on asterisk” is selected, it will look like this in the sutta:

Sidenotes will look like this on a large screen:

Thanks to Bhante @Sujato and the whole team for the constant improvements to the site!

7 Likes

Thank you Bhante for posting these things and making us aware of the latest developments! So many new and interesting things would just go unnoticed …

Actually, this could be phrased a little differently: I am mostly translating Bhante Sujato’s notes, rather than making my own. I find these notes very informative, also for the “normal” reader with no special scientific background. They often summarize information from elsewhere that’s sometimes not available in German language, so I find it valuable to provide some easy access to such information for German readers.

Strangely, this screenshot is visible when I quote the passage, but invisible on the actual site. While typing this I can see the picture in the preview—and am keen to see how it looks when I press the “reply” button! :eyes:

Yay, I still see it on the page! :tada:

2 Likes

Hey thanks for letting folks know!

1 Like