Unknown Unknowns: The Problem of Hypocognition

An interesting term, applicable to the experiential nature of Buddhism and how we are blind to the nature of the world until meditative insights make us suddenly cognitive of the reality that exists.

4 Likes

An interesting article, showing so beautifully how a context can be built by ‘ignorance’ seeing itself in the mirror, from a psychological perspective. The first step of awareness, but because it remains bounded by its own psychological perspective/framework, possibly the first step to further ignorance.

Hypocognition = ignorance

Though it is interesting that the author attempts to identify and categorise ignorance, from a position of ignorance; ie everyone is/has ‘hypocognition’ and no-one except the omnipotent/ fully realised, can truly recognise the extent of it

3 Likes

The noble truth of hyponibbana,
the noble truth of the arising of hyponibbana,
the noble truth of the cessation of hyponibbana,
the noble truth of the path leading to the cessation of hyponibbana,
:thinking:

I think I have a case of hyponibbana. Guess I need to just keep meditating.

3 Likes

Is it basically not having a label ( name? ) for something?

It’s more than that. It’s lacking the conceptual and/or linguistic apparatus to thing about something. At least, that’s what it says in the article; some linguists would argue that it’s impossible to have a concept that you don’t have a word for.

1 Like

The first step out is a kalyanamitra!

Alexithymia is not being aware of oneself.

Huh? What about me? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Who’s talking there?! :wink:

1 Like

Who’s talking there?! :wink:

It’s more like not having the words to describe one’s emotions or not being aware when they arise, more practically speaking.

1 Like

So, the opposite of Cittanusati is Alexithymia?

Yes, mindfulness of the ‘mind’ is the method by which more awareness of emotions and cognitions can be arrived at. You could say the person practicing this is making the un- or subconsciousness, a conscious experience. This is very helpful in working through negative emotions, when ‘peeling the onion’ when discovering subtle emotions.

2 Likes