Ven analayo guided meditation

from Agama Research Group:
a set of guided instructions by ven Analayo on mindfulness of breathing is now available for free download at:

https://www.windhorsepublications.com/mindfulness-of-breathing-audio/

These accompany a new practice guide on mindfulness of breathing that is due for publication at the end of this year (info on Windhorse Publications website).

10 Likes

Thanks. Thatā€™s very nice (out well before the book too)! Iā€™ve found Analayoā€™s EBT-oriented meditation approach useful (even if I donā€™t necessarily agree with every single conclusion he leaps to). I enjoyed his satipatthana practice guide book (with similar set of audios) last year. A similar one on anapanasati should be nice too. @SCMatt gave an interesting link previously to a summary of Analayoā€™s anapanasati approach (link here).

2 Likes

I only wish he had made a comment on how the instructions are ordered, as they areā€¦

He usually uses a fairly sequential approach in such guided meditations: a later stage will first have a quick run through of the earlier steps in order before then spending most of the time on that stage. Havenā€™t gone through all the audios but Iā€™d assume the order is as in the 16 steps of the sutta itself.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing! :anjal:

But whereā€™s the one on metta? :cry:

2 Likes

@Mat, yes as @ suaimhneas says, the order is as the steps in the sutta
@ aminah, always nice to see your name pop up to see youā€™re still around on the site :grinning: (though actually I rarely am these days)
oh yes, one on metta would be lovely but I donā€™t know if there is an audio recording avaialable somewhere on that by him; if i hear of one I will post it.

2 Likes

Ditto!

Oh, Iā€™m not remotely interested in loveliness, I just want a glimpse of his technical insight into metta cultivation; an entirely hard-nosed concern! :grin:

In a way, Iā€™m not even joking; on the few occasions Iā€™ve heard him fleetingly discuss metta Iā€™ve really resonated with what heā€™s had to say and would so appreciate a slightly fuller exploration of metta practice from him. Ooooh, alright, it would be super lovely, too! If only we lived in such a time when audio recording devices were widely available. :wistful_daydreaming_face: :wink:

3 Likes

@Aminah :grin:

on another subject, it seems my ā€˜likesā€™ are not registering; do you (or anyone reading this) have any idea why? Oops, I see they are registering but instead of the nice geen circle with ā€˜Lā€™ in it, itā€™s now changed to a question mark, which I see is the same next to my post. hmmm, oh well, Iā€™m fine with ā€˜beingā€™ identified as a question mark :wink:

2 Likes

lol, I think this is possibly connected with the broader user icon display issue on the forum at the moment. I guess it will get sorted at some point.

1 Like

The book ā€œMindfulness of Breathing: A Practice Guide and Translationsā€ is out now (actually was released a while back in late September). Am making my way through it myself at the moment. Itā€™s a very good read so far. The early chapters lay out Analayoā€™s anapanasati method in detail going through the tetrads, while the later chapters delve into EBT parallels of various suttas, which are relevant to breathing meditation.

4 Likes