Vesak celebrations

Hi,

Next Thursday is Vesakh, the day of the Buddha.

I have not come across any of the Buddhist Viharas or Tibetian organisations in Switzerland and Southern Germany celebrating this event. I habe seen an ad for one hourly lecture on enlightenment in a major city, but that’s about it. (In Berlin they seem to have a rather small event to which people must bring cakes etc. themelves)

Is this not something that is commonly celebrated with events outside of the Buddhist countries? Because at least our Tibetian community is usually quite proud and lively.

Cheers, Lunky

Light Up Peace: Vesak Day Celebration at Washington DC

On 23 May 2024, from 5:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. EDT, the Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation and the International Buddhist Association of America (IBAA) will jointly co-organize the Light Up Peace Ceremony in commemoration of Vesak Day at the National Monument in Washington DC.

23 May marks this year’s Vesak, Saga Dawa, or Buddha Purnima, commemorating the birth, enlightenment, and death of the historical Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, more than 2,500 years ago.

An event for people of all religious traditions (and none), the Light Up Peace Ceremony is inviting Buddhist practitioners from across the intrafaith Buddhist community to gather at the iconic Washington Monument, around which the assembled participants will walk three times in prayer—replicating a circumambulation around a stupa—dedicated to all sentient beings.

:anjal:

3 Likes

My monastery’s celebration. Now vesak retreat is starting tomorrow until the actual day.

2 Likes

Can not fly to Washington … too much Kamma :sweat_smile: