Vitakka vicāra (Jhana-factors)

The contexts furnished by AN 10.60, AN 6.29, MN 119, and MN 36 certainly point to the corporeal body. It is here that we can see the Pali pronoun exhibiting one of its hallmark characteristics - it is functioning anaphorically.

But this context in SN 36.7 does not appear to be corporeal at all -

Tassa ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhuno evaṃ satassa sampajānassa appamattassa ātāpino pahitattassa viharato uppajjati sukhā vedanā, so evaṃ pajānāti: ‘uppannā kho myāyaṃ sukhā vedanā. Sā ca kho paṭicca, no appaṭicca. Kiṃ paṭicca? Imameva kāyaṃ paṭicca.

Bhikkhus, while a bhikkhu dwells thus, mindful and clearly comprehending, diligent, ardent, and resolute, if there arises in him a pleasant feeling, he understands thus: ‘There has arisen in me a pleasant feeling. Now that is dependent, not independent. Dependent on what? Dependent on this very body.

Unless, of course, you wish to suggest that this passage concerns itself only the feelings arisen from the 5 corporeal senses? There does not seem to be any good reason to exclude dukkha arisen from mind contacting dhammas, in which case the kāya here refers to the group of the sense faculties.

In fact, if you look at the next sutta SN 36.8, the same pronoun is applied to refer to “imameva phassaṃ” as the paccaya for such feelings. Given that both suttas are referring to the source of feelings, it seems to me that kāya in SN 36.7 is not the physical body but the saḷāyatana.

And what about this from MN 121 -

Further, Ananda, the monk — not attending to the perception of the dimension of nothingness, not attending to the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception — attends to the singleness based on the theme-less concentration of awareness. His mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, settles, & indulges in its theme-less concentration of awareness.

"He discerns that ‘Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of the dimension of nothingness are not present. Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, are not present. And there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.’ He discerns that ‘This mode of perception is empty of the perception of the dimension of nothingness. This mode of perception is empty of the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. There is only this non-emptiness: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body (imameva kāyaṃ) with life as its condition.’

It seems very clear that the exercise into Signlessness is a purely mental pursuit, and yet it speaks of “this very body”.

The takeaway from this is that because imameva is functioning anaphorically, the meaning of the noun needs to be teased out from the context of what preceded before. The 2 examples I’ve given should demonstrate that kāya is not always the corporeal body. I would therefore offer that the imameva kāyaṃ in the jhana formulae is referring anaphorically to the previous body mentioned as “his body becomes serene” (kāyo passambhati).

What is the likelihood that this kāya that becomes serene is the corporeal body, when the serenity is the outcome of development of the mind through sense restraint, mindfulness, contentment and abandonment of the hindrances? All of these things work on the mind. If ever there is a time to invoke Occam’s Razor (which should never be allowed anyway), wouldn’t this kāya be referring to your existential heap, ie the conventional “self”?

If you argue as such, then it appears that there are only vehicles for the tenor “body” in the first 3 similes, but that vehicle vanishes and merges with the tenor in the 4th simile. How probable is that?

1 Like

But can you establish this? It would require quite a massive bit of research into Vedic and Prakrits to come to a firm conclusion that Iron Age Indian farmers and potters had a limited vocabulary and no access to Middle Indo Aryan idiom.

If you are correct, it would mean that every single one of the monks and nuns who have never heard the Upanisads would mistake sakkāya to refer to their own corporeal body.

Indeed, because in those suttas, the pronoun is functioning anaphorically to refer back to a kāya that is clearly “physical”. But what happens if the anaphora points elsewhere?

I would like to urge you to consider carefully the analysis done by Wijesekara on the adverbial function of that instrumental kāyena. What are your thoughts on it? Furthermore, well before the Buddha, the Upanisads already recognise cognitions that have nothing to do with the sarīra - that’s their preferred word for the corporeal body.

Actually, my position would not be at odds with such an interpretation since salayatana would be a superset of body. However, a reading of kaya as the physical body also makes perfect sense in my opinion.

But first let me examine your MN 121 quote.

I think this sentence is the key to understanding both your quotes:

there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition

First of all, that which revolves around the body is said to be a disturbance, pretty much like vitakka-vicara is said to be a disturbance for the second jhana, so it does not mean that those phenomena revolving around the body are normal constituents of the “theme-less concentration of awareness”, quite the contrary.

Also, this passage clearly says that “the six sensory spheres” are “dependent on this very body with life as its condition”, which is a way to say that without the physical body, there would be no salayatana. So in the 36.7 quote, kaya can be taken as a paccaya for feelings because it is itself a paccaya for salayatana, which are in turn paccaya for contact which is paccaya for feelings. Therefore interpreting kaya simply as the physical body still holds pretty well to analysis.

What is the likelihood that the body would become agitated if I let my mind be scattered, unrestraint, uncontented and go to a disco party? As we have discussed earlier, sensations in the body can come as a consequence of mental activity (a triviality) and that does not mean that the body feels the mind.

Occam’s Razor is a heuristic guide (and not an arbiter between models), which is unanimously recognized as fundamental by all main epistemologists (among whom Popper, Sober, Swinburne) and greatest scientists (Euler, Planck, Einstein, Eisenberg etc.). That means that if two models describe available data with equal accuracy, the simpler one is often better (not always though), with all the more strength as the data sample becomes large and diversified, and the difference in terms of pure complexity becomes wider as a result.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, from Wikipedia:

The principle can be interpreted as stating Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

1 Like

I don’t want to derail this thread, but that may depend on the data sample. If you are studying the fall of an apple, Newton’s mechanics will explain the phenomenon in a much simpler way than Einstein’s relativity, but it will fail to explain phenomena at a much larger scale, for which Einstein’s theory becomes, well, the only available theory.

Exactly. In our case, the interpretation of terms that fits the most number of contexts with the fewest assumptions would be preferrable. Ideally the interpretation we end up with fits more contexts and relies on fewer premises. (Notwithstanding arguments of textual corruption)

And just to point back and reiterate the state of the discussion for clarification with a point of consensus:

I think we can all agree on this point. The premise “kāya is anaphoric and therefore contextual” is preferrable to “kāya means this here and kāya means that there”. The point of contention outstanding is with regards to what that previous body is in the particular context of jhāna.

Notwithstanding the arguments you and Sylvester have put forth on this point of contention, if I may, I’d like to provide a poll to gauge the consensus on just the first point.

Be it resolved, kāyaṃ in the jhana formulae is referring anaphorically to the previous body mentioned as “his body becomes serene” (DN 2: kāyo passambhati).

• Agree
  • Disagree
0 voters

@ Frank

@FrankK, I’ve added the two suttas Sylvester cited to the wiki.

1 Like

Could you point out the arguments for kayo passambhati being metaphorical?

Sure! The crux of the arguments are:

Your offering a competing reading of MN 121 would be aiming to weaken the premise that there exist contexts where kāyaṃ is non-corporeal, a premise that is relied upon for Sylvester’s argument.

1 Like

Would it even need to be metaphorical, given that Citta (apparently not quite scholarly) and Potthapada can understand "acquisition of self "?

I think interpreting that body to mean the corporeal one displaces the emphasis placed on the role of mental development. After all, it comes clearly after the 3 grades of virtue.

Then, the formulaic sequence of pīti, kāyo passambhati, passaddhakāyo sukhaṃ etc is found in the context that strongly reinforces the role of the gradual development of the mind, eg AN 3.95, SN 35.97, AN 5.26, SN 46.3 (boj­jhaṅgas), AN 6.10, SN 47.10. In this small sample, there’s nothing here that is not connected with samatha. In fact, in SN 42.13, we see the most explicit connection of this sequence with samatha, when describing the person who dwells thus, that person is said to be devoid of the hindrances. What has the corporeal body got to do as a cause of the hindrances?

@Mkoll - just saw your note. Hope the addition above helps.

1 Like

Hi chansik and Sylvester,

What do each of you think the “body” is in this common pericope (here, from SN 35.97)?

[…], gladness is born. When one is gladdened, rapture is born. When the mind is uplifted by rapture, the body becomes tranquil. One tranquil in body experiences happiness. The mind of one who is happy becomes concentrated.

Forgive me if you’ve addressed this already; I haven’t read the full thread.

1 Like

Hi James, I take it as a body that includes the corporeal one, but I don’t think a cogent case has been formed for interpreting it that way.

@chansik_park Thanks.

@Sylvester Thanks for the addition. My impression is that you are saying it does not have to do with the physical body, but rather with the mind’s development of samatha. Is this correct?

As it turns out, I have not found a single sutta containing both expressions “kāyo passambhati” and “imameva kāyaṃ”.

That would refer to “kāyo passambhati” which is being under discussion. I have just completed a quick research and my conclusion is that there is overwhelming evidence that kaya here refers to the physical body

1 Like

It’s in DN 2. SC’s search function seems wonky today. Google will give you loads of hits.

1 Like

Ah yes, thanks. Actually I made a mistake in my assessment. The DPR searches only paragraph by paragraph and not sutta by sutta.

Then I can vote “Agree” to the poll.

1 Like

Hi Mkoll.

While I do not deny that physical behaviour (such as that practiced as part of the 3 grades of virtue) can help to denourish the defilements, there is no suggestion in the EBTs that mental development as part of the samā­dhik­khan­dha involves the physical body. That, to me, militates against reading kāyo passambhati to refer to tranquilising the corporeal body.

Could you specify how exactly you understand kāyo? Is it purely mental? Does it refer to 5 salayatanas?

I think it has to refer to all six bases. Longing and dejection arise as a result of contact of all 6 bases, not just the 5. The standard sense restraint presentations includes this, after the 5 sense bases -

On cognizing an idea with the intellect, he does not grasp at any theme or particulars by which—if he were to dwell without restraint over the faculty of the intellect—evil, unskillful qualities such as greed or distress might assail him. He practices with restraint. He guards the faculty of the intellect. He achieves restraint with regard to the faculty of the intellect.

AN 5.140

I think this is the point in time when we may have to consider Sue Hamilton’s point, that the EBTs do not actually classify the internal bases/faculties into physical or non-physical. If you don’t have her book, BB gives a very good summary of her views on p. 1398 of the CDB. The classification system into physical and non-physical stems from the Comy application of its understanding of how the 5 bases relate to the rūpakkhandha, and what it even means to be rūpa. But, I think it would really pay off handsomely to invest in her Identity and Experience. It marks a turning point in my own journey in the Dhamma.

2 Likes

What would then be the difference between kaya and citta?

One feels kaayika feelings. The other cetasika feelings. See my earlier post on MN 148 how the mind Base give rise to painful feeling but not grief.