Voice 2.3 Aditi pronunciation fixes

Yes, much better!

Oh, interesting. But I guess you are right and there are slightly higher bills involved.

1 Like

Just a thought, shouldn’t this V sound be much closer to a W sound? It sounds like the voice has no “V” in it natively and the “hiccup” is a space between the consonant and the vowel.

2 Likes

Aditi is a bilingual Hindi/English voice, and the “v” is identical in sound to the “ʋ” bilabial approximant. When I change to “ʋ”, the mp3 files are identical. My hypothesis is that the person whose voice was sampled chose to blend the two into the same sound.

2 Likes

Could be a regional accent of Hindi too.

I learned a year ago that there was such a thing as a “dark L.” Apparently all of my L’s are so-called “dark L’s” and should be pronounced different in English. And here I thought I was at least okay in it.

Maybe the Aditi person similarly learned there were two V’s.

2 Likes

Anagarika Sabbamitta found today’s Hindi Hiccup, which is vītisāretvā :pray:

Via recourse to the almighty backslash, which is not an IPA character, we have:

The \ is truly a random paper-bag-over-the-head fix for a hiccup. It’s absolutely unclear why this works. …:man_shrugging:

Sammodanīyaṃ kathaṃ sāraṇīyaṃ vītisāretvā ekamantaṃ nisīdi.
When the greetings and polite conversation were over, he sat down to one side,

3 Likes

Long live the backslash!! :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes! Let’s hope this isn’t considered a bug by Amazon :joy:

3 Likes

Anagarika @Sabbamitta found today’s Pali tongue twister hiccup:

evaṃdhammesu pāṇisu;
with creatures whose nature is such,

pɑː ɳɪ sʊ

The backspace from the dimension of form didn’t work here, and we had to press onwards into the dimension of infinite space:

p ɑː ɳɪ sʊ

Perhaps when AI touches the dimension of infinite consciousness, the stress of the oddities of form and infinite space will cease.

3 Likes

:white_check_mark: Thank you, that seems to be good! :strawberry:

2 Likes

Yet more Aditi Pali hiccups

4 Likes

:+1: Thank you! this sounds good.

3 Likes

@karl_lew and @sabbamitta, you both are wonderful. Interestingly enough, my mother tongue is not one of Indo-european languages, so I often can not hear the problems or solutions. :sweat_smile: So I can’t give you feedback, but I appreciate your effort and contribution. :pray:

4 Likes

We soon will very much need your help to lead us through the Japanese pronunciation. :slightly_smiling_face:
:pray:

3 Likes

I will certainly do as much as I can for that when the time comes (I mean, I am so slow in translating suttas, so it won’t happen that soon… ha ha :sweat:

5 Likes

For someone without an esophagus, Aditi certainly has many hiccups. Thanks to Anagarika Sabbamitta for finding the latest one:

So navañca kammaṃ na karoti, purāṇañca kammaṃ phussa phussa byantīkaroti.
AN3.74:2.4: They don’t perform any new deeds, and old deeds are eliminated by experiencing their results little by little.

The trouble occurs when phussa is spoken twice. Stressing the first syllable appears to smooth out the hiccup.

3 Likes

You are definitely the most gifted hiccups doctor I’ve ever come across!! :man_health_worker: Thanks a lot!!! :strawberry:

3 Likes

Seems like a huge merit opportunity for someone looking for dana options! To make excellent pāli scripture pronunciation available to the world!

5 Likes

Anagarika Sabbamitta noticed another pesky pe…

AN3.72:6.4 … dosassa …pe… mohassa pahanāya …

It would seem that pe is quite the thorn for narration…the previous fixes did not address this case. :thinking:

3 Likes

After some consideration it would appear that the problem is with ... and not with pe. In other words, Aditi hiccups are elliptical. :open_mouth:

To address this, the ellipsis is now replaced by a period for narration. This forces Aditi to adopt the concluding silence of a sentence and allows the pe to be sounded correctly as intended. The other pe fixes have been reverted (i.e., pe is just pe and not pee with doubled e). To verify, here is the sound segment from a prior issue:

‘Vedanā’tissa vacanīyaṃ …pe…

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

Oh! Thanks for finding that out, and I hope that this fix now works for all instances.

2 Likes