Voice 2.3 Aditi pronunciation fixes

Do you call a procunciation for vītisāretvā in the following sentense as a hiccup?

SN46.54:2.2
Sammodanīyaṃ kathaṃ sāraṇīyaṃ vītisāretvā ekamantaṃ nisīdiṃsu. Ekamantaṃ nisinne kho te bhikkhū aññatitthiyā paribbājakā etadavocuṃ:
When the greetings and polite conversation were over, they sat down to one side. The wanderers said to them:

4 Likes

This is indeed exactly what we call a hiccup. (Actually, the “pe” issues are not really hiccups, but somehow that name has been extended a bit to include them too.) :grinning:

But this one has already been fixed, and on staging it sounds all nice.

3 Likes

Ah, thank you for letting me know. Yes, indeed, sounds all good. The link “staging” has not been yet public and will be released in the future. Is that correct?

But how do you find those hiccups? By just listening a lot? If so, you must be listening to suttas a lot! :open_mouth:
Sadhu for SCVoice team’s great effort! :pray:

4 Likes

“Staging” is a permanent server that we use to test all the fixes before they are released to production. At some point the production server will be updated, and then all the changes will go public.

But if you wish you can also use the staging server for listening. Then you will always have the latest fixes (and problems, if the fixes don’t work … :scream:).

Well, yes, by listening … :headphones: :laughing:

3 Likes

Anagarika Sabbamitta has heard Aditi awkwardly coughing u in Ayaṃ vuccati, :

Fortunately, simply accentuating the first syllable seems to soothe Aditi’s cough:

2 Likes

The doctor who cures everything! :ambulance: :+1:

2 Likes

Anagarika Sabbamitta caught Aditi stuttering p’s:

ye puratthimāya disāya pāṇā

Accentuating the starting p’s seems to alleviate Aditi’s distress:

This seems to be a recurring problem with pu… and , so I’ve gambled that ALL such Pali prefixes should be accented. Because of this, I’ve reverted some recent fixes https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/voice-2-3-aditi-pronunciation-fixes/15869/87for former hiccoughs.

And thank you for AN3.70. It was very helpful. I have added two new phrases to the Voice examples.

• observe the sabbath
  • speak the truth
    :pray:
2 Likes

Sounds good, thank you!

3 Likes

In the following, Anagarika Sabbamitta discovered Aditi jinking jauntily on doubled jj:

SN42.12
Tayome, gāmaṇi, tapassino lūkhajīvino santo saṃvijjamānā lokasmiṃ.
These three self-mortifiers who live rough are found in the world.

Asking Aditi to be mindful of jj as j.j has perhaps taken care of the hijinks:

3 Likes

The blessing of mindfulness! :laughing: :heart:

3 Likes

Aditi once again could not escape Anagarika Sabbamitta’s mindful ear, this time with jjh

AN2.12 Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu satisambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti vivekanissitaṃ virāganissitaṃ nirodhanissitaṃ vosaggapariṇāmiṃ, dhammavicayasambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti … vīriyasambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti … pītisambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti … passaddhisambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti … samādhisambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti … upekkhāsambojjhaṅgaṃ bhāveti vivekanissitaṃ virāganissitaṃ nirodhanissitaṃ vosaggapariṇāmiṃ.
It’s when a mendicant develops the awakening factors of mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, rapture, tranquility, immersion, and equanimity, which rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go.

3 Likes

I am not sure if we are at the same place. The problematic word that I found was “dhammavicayasambosjhaṅgaṃ”, with an “s” sound inserted—which I don’t hear in your example.

3 Likes

Quite right. That excerpt has sooooo maaaany jjh. I focused on the wrong one. The proposed fix addresses all of the jjh:

Here is the entire excerpt:

4 Likes

Well, these are all the awakening factors, and we have seven of them!

Strangely, the dhammavicayasambojjhaṅgaṃ still sounds a bit different, but it sounds less like an “s” as it did before. It’s much better than it was before.

Thanks for all that! Who can ever fully understand robot voices … :robot: :couch_and_lamp: :man_health_worker:

4 Likes

this is pretty good already. :anjal:

2 Likes

Today Aditi clips a quote unexpectedly.

“ko nu kho, bho gotama, hetu ko paccayo yena m’idhekacce sattā kāyassa bhedā paraṃ maraṇā apāyaṃ duggatiṃ vinipātaṃ nirayaṃ upapajjantī”ti?
“What is the cause, Master Gotama, what is the reason why some sentient beings, when their body breaks up, after death, are reborn in a place of loss, a bad place, the underworld, hell?”

Anagarika Sabbamitta indicates that the apostrophe is rather an indicator for the word composition and shouldn’t affect pronunciation.

The proposed fix affects all right single quotes. That’s 14189 segments in the suttas. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve never noticed such a thing anywhere before, and I can’t say I haven’t listened to a few suttas.

I don’t think this is meant to be a quotation mark (Pali doesn’t have quotation marks), but rather an apostrophe. It signals that when building composite words something has been left out in the process. This is probably spelled differently in different texts. There shouldn’t be a pause in pronunciation.

So your fix sounds good here; let’s see what consequences it will have elsewhere … :thinking:

2 Likes

I also have not noticed this myself. Your ear is quite discerning, however, and caught this one. Voice originally converted all right single quotes to a space, in effect breaking this one word into two, which is quite jarring here. Normally, right single quotes appear at the end of phrases, so the word split is not noticeable. I think that the fix will be minimally disruptive, but the potential is there. We’ll be listening carefully for some time.

4 Likes

Anagarika Sabbamitta has caught Aditi carelessly eviscerating an “e” before “t”.
:crossed_swords: :tea: aaaaaauggghh

Perhaps a little more “e” in the “e” might help here before “t”?

4 Likes

:laughing:

"E"s with enough “e” seem to be better than "e"s with not enough “e” … :wink:

3 Likes