Volpage in search

@HongDa It appears D/DN is still not working. I tested on production and staging.

2 Likes

It may be that some volpages do not exists.

https://suttacentral.net/search?query=volpage:DN%20ii%2055

1 Like

I have improved the related code and adjusted the search result page. :pray:

https://suttacentral.net/search?query=volpage:DN%20ii%2055

Currently, if the relevant volpage cannot be found, it will no longer be a blank page.

4 Likes

Hey @HongDa. I have just started another PTS heavy project and I just wanted to say a BIG THANK-YOU for all the awesome work youā€™ve done on this. So far it is working exactly how I would want it to work! Yaayyyyy!

2 Likes

Hi again. So it might be a data thing or a misunderstanding on my part, but I was hoping to get a result from volpage: Ja.VI,378 and that it would get me to here:
Ja 542: Umaį¹…gajātakaā€”E.B. Cowell, W.H.D. Rouse (suttacentral.net)

Also wondering if the volpage search is or could be made available for Vinaya? For example: volpage: Vin.I,83 would get me to: Kd 1: Mahākhandhakaā€”Bhikkhu Brahmali (suttacentral.net)

Many many thanks

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out. In the mean time, this version of the lookup tool gives Vin references.

I believe @HongDa may be away from his computer for a few days, so if you donā€™t hear a response, please do follow up in a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for this Bhante. For some reason I had a really old version of that tool bookmarked.

I was going to start a new thread for this, but it seemed to fit here tooā€¦ Iā€™m wondering if the search tool can do PTS Verse Numbers yet? I canā€™t find it. So this would be vnp numbers, for example Verse 290 of Suttanipāta is here (i.e. SuttaCentral numbering Snp2.7:8.1)

1 Like

There is an undocumented filter ref: that might work. Could you see if you could get what you want with that?

2 Likes

Cool. Thank you so much Bhante. This looks like it should work perfectly! Iā€™ll give it a proper go tomorrow. :pray:

Edit: Yes. This worked great today!! Thank-you once again Bhante.

2 Likes

Yes, we can also use ref: filter
e.g.
https://suttacentral.net/search?query=ref:PTS+1.1

2 Likes

Thanks again HongDa. Iā€™ve been using volpage and ref fairly intensively over the past few days, and it really is working very well for me indeed. It makes these little projects of mine so much more doable :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

@HongDa, do you think we could go ahead and publish this filter? so far itā€™s undocumented.

1 Like

Yes, Bhante, it seems to be working fine so far, Iā€™ll add it to the filter description page.

2 Likes

Just to let you know I get unexpected (undefined) results from this - something to do with different editions Iā€™m guessing. Having said that, I still got the actual result I was after:

1 Like

Always wanting a little bit moreā€“does my greed know no bounds!..

If I do this search
ref: vnp705
then I get this:

So thatā€™s greatā€”I know I am looking for something in Snp. But in addition to the pts-vp-pli numbers it would be really cool if I could have vnp numbers too, so I could go straight to the (english) translation of the verse. In this case it there would be a vnp705 and it would take me here

1 Like

Hi again @HongDa and @Snowbird

Iā€™m on dodgy ground here, because I donā€™t really know this collection or itā€™s structure, but I think it might be another data problem. I was expecting verse numbers in the Cariyāpiį¹­aka, but there donā€™t seem to be any. So, for example a search for ref: vnp 371 (or maybe 370) would point me towards an entry for: Cp 35:16.1

I have no idea. Iā€™m also very unfamiliar with that collection. I donā€™t really understand what you are asking for. If there are no verse numbers, then vnp canā€™t point you to anything, can it?

Ah yes. Itā€™s becoming a bit clearer to me. So there are no verse numbers (or appear to be no verse numbers) in SuttaCentral, but if I look at the Wikipedia page for the Cariyāpiį¹­aka we find:

text contains 35 such stories, spanning 356[8] to 371 verses.[9]

In note 8 we find:

356 verses are enumerated in the Chaį¹­į¹­ha Saį¹…gāyana (CSCD) edition of the Pali Canon.

Note 9 says:

371 verses are enumerated in the Sri Lanka Tripitaka Project (SLTP) edition of the Pali Canon.

The text that Iā€™m working on at the moment seems to be referring to verse numbers in the SLTP edition. Iā€™m now wondering if either or both of these should be included in SC?

So my use of the term ā€˜data problemā€™ was wrong and misleading. Sorry.

Oh, no problem at all. Iā€™m just so unfamiliar with that text that I have no basis for understanding.

Bhante @Sujato, do you want these verse numbers added to Bilara? @stu, are you volunteering to add them?

Maybe, Stu, if we donā€™t hear from Bhante you could write up an issue on suttacentral/bilara-data so this doesnā€™t get forgotten. Include as much research as you have found that could be helpful.

1 Like

Itā€™s not something Iā€™ve got bandwidth for at the moment, but Iā€™ll circle back around to this later this year hopefully Bhante.

1 Like