Wanted 🕵️‍♀ : Translator for SC-Voice interface

Yes, arahant will be a term used in the translations some times.

To the point of logging and improving the pronunciations, is it the case we start a new topic just to capture any further pronunciation issues I or anyone else finds with Ricardo’s reading of the suttas?

The reason I ask is that it would be nice to point to a specific topic/thread when I share these news with the people I have in mind so they may also log in there no only their certain joy with this new feature but also any other suggestions they may have in terms of getting Ricardo’s pronunciation right. :slight_smile:

Should I take the action or you would like to do it?

:anjal:

2 Likes

Oops. I forgot the second “a”. I can’t figure out how to shorten the ending “e”, however. AWS Polly is quite stubborn in this way. :cry:

• <phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="'a.ɾa.han.te"/>

Here’s another attempt at Êxtase. I’ve doubled the “s” in an attempt to lengthen the initial vowel:

• <phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="''ɛs.sta.se"/>

1 Like

:white_check_mark:

Good idea! Please go ahead.

1 Like

Um. Tracking multiple threads of corrections would actually be harder for me.

For releases, we typically put together a Release Notes summary for succinct and broad distribution.

1 Like

Don’t worry. I can just check them and make issues for the several problems or post in our developer thread whatever you need to know. I understand that it’s just easier for the Portuguese group to have one particular place to go, with no ohter stuff posted in-between.

1 Like

Done.

@karl_lew

If it is not too much trouble lets continue our conversation on how to get êxtase and arahant pronounced right over there?

2 Likes

Here you go: language Wikis.zip (9.9 KB)

Where there are screen shots, you can if you like make the respective shots for Portuguese setting. Where there are examples, just choose appropriate examples for your language, if possible from the new segmented translations.

Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was 99% sure you were already using it, just mentioned it on the 1% chance you didn’t :slight_smile:

I’m not very good at the ear part, sadly…

But, if you need someone to make a quick script to add SSML to certain words, in case you need something more complex than Find and Replace, I may be able to help with that …

3 Likes

Thanks to @Gabriel_L, who found a website that ALL translators can use to help out with Voice pronunciation corrections. This website uses exactly the same AWS Polly as Voice, so it is perfect for the job.

Feel free to use this website to experiment with alternate phonetic spelling for mispronounced words. We’ll simply incorporate your IPA corrections into the customWord vocabulary for your language.

For example, using this website, Gabriel and I figured out the Portuguese pronunciation for “arahant” after several iterations:

• <phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="'a.ɾa.han.t͡ʃ"/>

This is an exacting task and it really works well to have many helping ears. It can also be a lot of fun to learn new ways to hear. :wink: :ear: :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Hello again,

Does the rule of not translating words in capitals apply to the whole file or only to the aria section? For example, in the non-aria section, line 65 has:

contentUpdaterWarning: ‘WARNING: this task may take hours and may update nothing.’,

Should the word in bold be like this:

contentUpdaterWarning: ‘VARÚÐ: þetta verkefni gæti tekið nokkrar klukkustundir og gæti ekki uppfært neitt.’,

Or like this:

contentUpdaterWarning: ‘WARNING: þetta verkefni gæti tekið nokkrar klukkustundir og gæti ekki uppfært neitt.’,

??

4 Likes

Yeah, of course, WARNING should be translated! :smile:

3 Likes

Gunn Dach!

I’ve now finished the translation and my stepdaughter (who’s more familiar than I with this sort of jargon) has proofread it and made a few corrections. As I did the translation offline I’m sending it as an attachment.

Just one remark. I have translated “Translation language” on line 209 as Þýðingamál, assuming it to mean the target language. But if it means the source language, then this will need to be changed to Frummál.

is.ts.js.zip (3.8 KB)

Njóttu vel!
(Enjoy!)

3 Likes

This occurs in the settings, and it asks you in what language you want to listen to Voice (apart from the source language, of which Voice currently has only Pali).

Bildschirmfoto%20vom%202019-10-04%2010-31-07

Next to the translation language you also select a language in which the website will be shown to you.

When your translation is implemented, you will be able to set “website language” to Icelandic and “translation language” to English, or whatever you like. But since there is not one single Icelandic translation available on SC at the moment, it can’t be Icelandic.

Great! I will add it to the site very soon! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Okay, then Þýðingamál will be fine.

:hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Icelandic is a pretty cool language! Much thanks to you and your stepdaughter!! :bouquet: :butterfly:

1 Like

Found something neat:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language/Search

That’s Microsoft’s database of common translations for UI elements.

So, if you’re wondering “how the heck should I translate Close in my language? I know the word for e.g. closing a door, but that sounds so weird on a button!”, you can check how MS is doing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! This seems to be a cool thing!! :heart:

@sabbamitta I gave the Romanian stuff a shot.

I think I submitted a Github request to get the changes added, let me know if I messed anything up (I’ve only ever used Git before when I was part of the repo)

1 Like

Great, thank you!!!

I’m asking Karl to check especially the syntax, and when he’s happy we can merge your pull request—which is also the first time for me to do something like this. I’m learning a lot of new stuff since I started working for Voice! :laughing: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Regarding “Disk usage” vs “Disk used”, I interpreted it as:

“Disk usage” = what % of the current space on the disk is in use
“Disk used” = which disk is currently used (Like e.g. C drive or D drive)

Though double-checking for Danish, I see other translators have both as the same.

So… what’s the context? :slight_smile:

2 Likes