Wanted 🕵️‍♀ : Translator for SC-Voice interface

Gunn Dach!

I’ve now finished the translation and my stepdaughter (who’s more familiar than I with this sort of jargon) has proofread it and made a few corrections. As I did the translation offline I’m sending it as an attachment.

Just one remark. I have translated “Translation language” on line 209 as Þýðingamál, assuming it to mean the target language. But if it means the source language, then this will need to be changed to Frummál.

is.ts.js.zip (3.8 KB)

NjĂłttu vel!
(Enjoy!)

3 Likes

This occurs in the settings, and it asks you in what language you want to listen to Voice (apart from the source language, of which Voice currently has only Pali).

Bildschirmfoto%20vom%202019-10-04%2010-31-07

Next to the translation language you also select a language in which the website will be shown to you.

When your translation is implemented, you will be able to set “website language” to Icelandic and “translation language” to English, or whatever you like. But since there is not one single Icelandic translation available on SC at the moment, it can’t be Icelandic.

Great! I will add it to the site very soon! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Okay, then Þýðingamál will be fine.

:hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Icelandic is a pretty cool language! Much thanks to you and your stepdaughter!! :bouquet: :butterfly:

1 Like

Found something neat:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language/Search

That’s Microsoft’s database of common translations for UI elements.

So, if you’re wondering “how the heck should I translate Close in my language? I know the word for e.g. closing a door, but that sounds so weird on a button!”, you can check how MS is doing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! This seems to be a cool thing!! :heart:

@sabbamitta I gave the Romanian stuff a shot.

I think I submitted a Github request to get the changes added, let me know if I messed anything up (I’ve only ever used Git before when I was part of the repo)

1 Like

Great, thank you!!!

I’m asking Karl to check especially the syntax, and when he’s happy we can merge your pull request—which is also the first time for me to do something like this. I’m learning a lot of new stuff since I started working for Voice! :laughing: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Regarding “Disk usage” vs “Disk used”, I interpreted it as:

“Disk usage” = what % of the current space on the disk is in use
“Disk used” = which disk is currently used (Like e.g. C drive or D drive)

Though double-checking for Danish, I see other translators have both as the same.

So… what’s the context? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, I am not sure that I can 100% answer your question.

“Disk usage” and “Disk used” do occur in slightly different contexts in the administration section.

“Disk used” is on the “Caches” page, and it refers to how much disk space is used.

Bildschirmfoto%20vom%202019-10-05%2017-37-55

I can’t quite remember where “Disk usage” occurs, and don’t find it right now. Maybe @karl_lew is the best person to explain the difference.

1 Like

Ooh… in that case, the same translation for both may be clearer (though either should work)
Should be changed now.

2 Likes

One Karl didn’t read the other Karl’s mind. Oops.

3 Likes

I didn’t even know that there are two Karls… :smile:

@Dhammanando, @scatterbrain, and everyone else: If you’re in Iceland now and open Voice it should show you Icelandic as website language; if you’re in Romania it should show you Romanian.

Both these interfaces are now not only on the staging server, but also on the production server, because, well… a certain Voice administrator whose name starts with “S” and ends in “abbamitta” just accidentally updated the production server! :scream:

Check out all the new language interfaces and get lost in words you don’t understand… :sweat_smile:

Have fun! :heart_eyes:

And thank you very much for the translation!! :pray:

4 Likes

Hi @sabbamitta and @karl_lew,

Is it possible to include also Portuguese, as the pronunciation is quite different from Brazilian Portuguese?

What do you think @Gabriel_L, maybe Portuguese/Cristiano?

Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

Hi Marco! Thank you for your suggestion; I had already been thinking along similar lines.

And yes, it is possible on one hand. But at the moment we are a bit careful not to include too many voices, as each extra voice will need again much extra cache space. We did increase our disk capacity not too long ago, and this will suffice to accommodate the VSMs for three languages (Pali, English, German).

Our main focus at the moment is establishing German with full support, which will later be the foundation for including more languages. So therefore we don’t want to add many more voices right now. But in a longer perspective (with still more disk capacity) this would be possible.

I have to say that we have been a bit overwhelmed by the huge number of people who want to translate the user interface into their language (which is such a beautiful thing!!), and I am not even sure if it is possible to add just one voice for each language; certainly not more than one.

4 Likes

That’s great @sabbamitta, thank you. So let’s wait.

Is Pali already available?

3 Likes

Yes, sure. In the settings you can select whether you want to listen to root language only (which is just Pali at the moment), root language plus translation, or translation only. But root language together with translation only works for fully supported (i.e. segmented) translations. It is the equivalent to viewing texts side by side or line by line on the SC main page.

It works for Bhante Sujato’s English translations right now, not for German, not for Portuguese, since those two languages only have legacy translations right now.

But even if you set translation language to PT, at the start of a sutta, in the introductory segments (vagga, sutta title) you can hear Aditi, the Pali voice, speak.

4 Likes

It doesn’t seem to auto-switch language based on country, testing on Chrome’s Incognito Mode with a VPN.

Also, Danish version is submitted!
We had a lengthy debate on how to translate “the dark”. Apparently, there are some… “creative” equivalent translations, with rather bad connotations, including calling them “trolls” :smiley:
We went with a simple “those living in darkness”.

4 Likes

For German it works. Did you disable your cookies? And did you set your browser so that it allows location information to be requested?

But maybe there needs just some extra work to be done for extra languages.

Fantastic! I’ll have a look at it asap.

That certainly captures the meaning, which is the most important point. (Another point is that the text should not be too long, for otherwise it can’t be displayed properly on mobile phones; which is the reason why the visible version is shorter than the version spoken by a screen reader.)

4 Likes

Ohh it’s based on location information, not IP location!
That’s a bit trickier to test, I’ll check when the Danish version is in :slight_smile:

2 Likes